The ABC of building a successful forum

B2W

Site 4 Sale
I have been doing what you wrote and now that I know that I'm on the right track I feel sooooooooooo much better now!!! Thanks!!!!! :D

Wes of StarArmy

Adherent
I just wanted to say that this is the best article on The Admin Zone; every forum builder neophyte should read it.

learningchinese

Neophyte
very good article. I especially like the part about the community aspect. Being here has made me realize how very important that is. I tend to focus more on content in my way of thinking, but you are right ultimately the web is people driven.

Adamantium

Enthusiast
D is for Drive & Determination

The competition is fierce and those focused on short-term gain are likely to fail. Think long-term, build relationships, take the time. Don't give up is the lesson here, and it works, as long as you truly love what you are doing and having a great site is important enough to you. It's like working out or eating right - drive and determination alone can determine the success.

E is for Experience & Education

Go out of your way to benefit and learn from the experience of others that have the type of successful site you want to have. Be an avid learner, every day. Your rate of education as you build experience can be your most valuable tool.

F is for Forum & Fun

What is a forum? Go look up the definition. Are you providing a superior one? Why should people go to and stay in one of your forums when they have so many other choices? Many just throw up a forum and put ads in immediately, cluttering up and annoying people. Is that conducive to the goal and function of a forum from the user's point of view? Fun: I submit that in the end, it is some form of fun that people want. The fun of learning, the entertainment, the personal connections, the ability to express, create, partner, and improve. People find these things fun. Is your attitude and those you allow to stay on your site or moderate add to that spirit, or detract?

Those are my D, E, and F thoughts of the day.

DanielGarneau

Enthusiast
Just a word to say that your article still brings new readers. Its title is engaging, and the content is instructive for anyone considering to set up an on-line community of any sort. Thank you!