TAZ Upgraded to XF 1.5.22

R0binHood

Habitué
What's your plans with regard to 2.x?

What are the key add ons that you feel you can't live without right now?

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
What's your plans with regard to 2.x?

What are the key add ons that you feel you can't live without right now?
Sorry for the delayed response - I couldn't remember where the question was posted. :eek:

Anyhow... If I was starting TAZ from scratch I'd go with only the Article Manager, Security Add-on, and Xon's utility add-ons. I'd skip everything else.

However, that ship sailed long ago, and deciding what to do about add-ons is a big issue since there are so many already installed.

Kevin

Oooh, something shiny!
Sorry for the delayed response - I couldn't remember where the question was posted. :eek:

Anyhow... If I was starting TAZ from scratch I'd go with only the Article Manager, Security Add-on, and Xon's utility add-ons. I'd skip everything else.

However, that ship sailed long ago, and deciding what to do about add-ons is a big issue since there are so many already installed.
Well, when you upgrade to XF2 that'll help with dropping off a bunch of add-ons. :p

we_are_borg

Tazmanian

I don’t see Showcase why would you drop that.

R0binHood

Habitué

Now that 2.1 has been unveiled, does it look tempting enough to drop some major add ons and make the upgrade when it comes out? Or do you think you may hold out even longer?

Steve

Fanatic
Now that 2.1 has been unveiled, does it look tempting enough to drop some major add ons and make the upgrade when it comes out? Or do you think you may hold out even longer?
I think it was more of a waiting game for the add-ons currently in use here to be updated than any core features to be included in XF though I can see 2.1 brings some useful core features to replace some add-ons here, such as Bookmarks and Reactions (Post ratings).

Ramses

Adherent
To be honest, I don't see any reason to upgrade to 2.x. I can't imagine anything being better than it is now. Or what should be better?

R0binHood

Habitué
Looking at the nav bar we have:

Articles
Showcase
Blogs
Reviews

Which of them are can't live without? And do they have a 2.0 version yet?

The only other thing I see used regularly from a visitors standpoint is featured threads, which is really useful and so far no sign of being converted.

Bookmarks and Post Ratings are sorted.
Native push notifications (although the existing add on work well)
There would be improvements to the editor.
More modern design.
You'd begin to be able to start using the growing pool of 2.0 resources and support the new add on ecosystem.

I suppose Pushover would be lost. I absolutely love that as I can get notifications on my iOS device. I imagine it has a very low install rate with users though as it's not straightforward to setup, costs money and isn't encouraged in anyway via onboarding.

We'll see once we get through the list of 100+ add-ons :p
Who cares about those plugins? Uninstall them, then start the upgrade. I don't see how most of the plugins you have benefits the user facing part of the site. Except the "Articles," "Reviews," and "Blogs." They are useless, they are pretty much the same thing. In fact, I think it's detrimental to even have "Reviews" and "Showcase" when in reality, they should behave similarly.

Reactions is in the core now.
Bookmarks is in the core now.
"Post New Thread" is everywhere now.
Resources is, and has been supported on 2.x.x for a while now.

Most of the sidebar items are useless fluff.

The only plugins that are useful that would be nice to have is the "Users who are viewing this thread" and "Users who have read this thread" ones.

This is actually your chance to streamline the site.

The Sandman

Tazmanian Addict
There are a lot of addons we can live without when we move to XF 2.1. However, in most cases i think it’s better to leave them in place for now.

R0binHood

Habitué
Delete all the things!

And then upgrade the core.

I'm sure the first beta will be fine, should only take 20 mins or so.

The XF guys seem to know what they're doing.

If it breaks you can blame them

:whistle:

sbjsbj

Fan
Bob's addons are about to be released soon.

upload_2018-11-14_21-35-29.png

I imagine, he will wait for the 2.1 release and see if he can make them compatible, before we see stable 2.0 releases for his addons. So probably around January.

R0binHood

Habitué
Released to EA licence holders?

Door lord, does that mean they're going to be released complete with DRM, loot crates and micro transactions? :eek: