Suggestion TAZ Smilies Could Use An Update From The Stone Age

haqzore

Devotee
Are they broken ?

Then why "fix" them ?
I'd say they are broke.

Aiming to be the authority in forum administration, TAZ has somewhat of a responsibility to be as current as possible.

Smilies are obviously less important than the software/etc...

But anyone being honest with themselves has to know.... Showing up to a site and seeing this crap is anything but inspiring or confidence inducing:

:Party::wow::grouphug:

Like, really? It screams Geocities/Tripod.

Bit even if they weren't broke, fixer has a good point. Technology lives and dies on fixing what isn't broke in the name of advancement.

Last edited:

fixer

I'm In My Prime
:chill:

:badwords:

:kick:

i mean this is class here, setting the benchmark :angrybird4:

The Sandman

Administrator
Sigh.

We'll be updating TAZ to XF 2 soon, and will address all of the smiley concerns at that time.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
However... I don't know about anyone else, but the newfangled smilies on XF2 are *SO* slow to load, I mean about 5 seconds every time you click on the option in the editor. I did raise this at XF and a few others had similar issues, I'd hate to see how slow it is on mobile. So updating to the latest isn't always the greatest ;)
They are as fast as the IPS ones for me. Almost an immediate load when I hover over the Like link on my install of IPS or the XF support site.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
They are as fast as the IPS ones for me. Almost an immediate load when I hover over the Like link on my install of IPS or the XF support site.
Yep, the first time with XF seems to take a LONG time... but after that it's fairly quick... but I consider the smilies broke on XF currently. I hardly ever use them so don't keep up with the speed. I'll not be running 2.1 until I'm sure that my in use add-ons are supported. ShowCase is the main requirement.

PyroM

Aspirant
My users were complaining, a full year long, every second or third day in any thread, that they would miss the old smilies after migrating from vB3 (even with vB2 smilies an Koloboks) to xf1.5. I thought, it would not be that important for them and time would cure and stop it someday, but it didn't.

The solution was to allow the most "important" old smilies again through editor and install all others too, but do not show them in the editor. That way no old thread is "destroyed", all old smilies show up where used, but only few of them are placed in new threads. At the moment I see no way to remove all old smilies from editor ...

What are native smilies, please?

fixer

I'm In My Prime
smilies that come from your device and not the website

KimmiKat

Adherent
The smileys are fine. It's like some young people telling us we should ditch our room full of stereo stuff for a smart phone.

haqzore

Devotee
The smileys are fine. It's like some young people telling us we should ditch our room full of stereo stuff for a smart phone.
Thats a stretch of an example that isn't similar at all.

But sure, the smilies are fine. They fit most 1990s Geocities/Tripod free web site themes perfectly :birthday::wow::woohoo:

cheat_master30

Maybe one of the designers here can design an exclusive set for the site. Those always look better than the generic ones, and I'm sure someone here could come up with something great.

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
I always liked Taz's smileys, and I remember asking Sandman years ago before I even posted here through PM whether I could use one for our own forum which he graciously said yes to
I especially love this smiley here

:gogo:

gogo