Tapatalk Revenue

nrileykc

Aspirant
Anyone making any decent $ off of the Tapatalk advertising?

I noticed it the other day in my account and saw it generated $2.76 in a couple of days. I don't use Tapatalk, but I know a lot of my members do. Doesn't appear it can be turned off and curious to see if it continues to earn well.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
Yes, it can be turned off. I haven't seen it as a big revenue generator, nowhere near what I make with Adsense and direct advertisers.

Rudy

Enthusiast
In my experience across two years and several active forums, tapatalk earnings were maybe 0.5% - 1% of what I made in total. With it being buggy and insecure on our server, though, we deleted it and how serve up our forum in responsive view, meaning all of my monetization links remain intact on any device now. I also have personal issues with the way tapatalk does business (my opinion in my dealings with them is that at best, they are deceptive), but YMMV I guess...

All their monetization does is pad their own wallet, and gives us a nibble.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
With it being buggy and insecure on our server...

[snip]

All their monetization does is pad their own wallet, and gives us a nibble.

I've read quite a few posts about Tapatalk having security issues. But never has anyone offered specifics.
Can you offer specifics?

Also - The ads are actually opt-in right? In a certain sense anyway.
Can't they be turned OFF?

J.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
I've read quite a few posts about Tapatalk having security issues. But never has anyone offered specifics.
Can you offer specifics?

Also - The ads are actually opt-in right? In a certain sense anyway.
Can't they be turned OFF?

J.

There was a span of time where it seemed like every month a security issue was patched. Pretty serious stuff like being able to see forums and posts you didn't have permission too.

The ads can be turned off I believe in the monetization screen.

PoetJC

There was a span of time where it seemed like every month a security issue was patched. Pretty serious stuff like being able to see forums and posts you didn't have permission too.

The ads can be turned off I believe in the monetization screen.

This is why I wonder how folks are STILL asserting as *current* truth that Tapatalk is a security risk and that they are only out to monetize their app.
This is not at all fact NOW is it? Because as far as I can tell:

1. Security issues are seemingly fixed.
2. There is a way to opt-out of the advertising.

Tapatalk sure has left a bad taste in folks' mouth.
But I still appreciate the functionality anyway.

J.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
That's not the entire picture when it comes to a site's users. Say your site brings a new user to Tapatalk. Now consider that Tapatalk has recently added suggestions and search where they will recommend forums and posts to the user. So, you bring the user to Tapatalk, and then Tapatalk advertises your competition to them. Kind in mind Tapatalk refer to these people as their users, not your users.

1. As to security, they've had a couple of upgrades this year due to this, and in one case did something they really shouldn't have: one of their upgrades had a silent security fix, no notifications until a user brought it up. Then they admitted it. So sites who did not upgrade immediately because they didn't know it was a security update were left potentially vulnerable to exploits.

2. Turning off this only turns off you earning money. Tapatalk continues to show ads to your users, they keep all the income.

I'm going to step away from these TT threads unless something new happens. I don't want to end up like the anti-VB zombies, I understand some really like the product.

PoetJC

That's not the entire picture when it comes to a site's users. Say your site brings a new user to Tapatalk. Now consider that Tapatalk has recently added suggestions and search where they will recommend forums and posts to the user. So, you bring the user to Tapatalk, and then Tapatalk advertises your competition to them. Kind in mind Tapatalk refer to these people as their users, not your users.

1. As to security, they've had a couple of upgrades this year due to this, and in one case did something they really shouldn't have: one of their upgrades had a silent security fix, no notifications until a user brought it up. Then they admitted it. So sites who did not upgrade immediately because they didn't know it was a security update were left potentially vulnerable to exploits.

2. Turning off this only turns off you earning money. Tapatalk continues to show ads to your users, they keep all the income.

I'm going to step away from these TT threads unless something new happens. I don't want to end up like the anti-VB zombies, I understand some really like the product.
Interesting post. Especially #2 --- I really had no idea that when turning off the ads - it only turns off potential revenue and not the ads at all. But it's strange - I've been using Tapatalk on a site earlier today and I didn't see a single ad. This is sort of confusing to me... I have ads turned off in the TT Dashboard - so I only assumed it turned the ads off permanently. I wonder why I'm not seeing ads on the site while using Tapatalk?

And LOL @ the anti-VB zombies. No words aimageup.jacquiidesigns.com_di_UIP2.gif

J.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
For the record #2 isn't something I've personally seen, because I want every penny and don't turn them off. Another TAZ reported it as their experience.

Rasty

Fan
This is why I wonder how folks are STILL asserting as *current* truth that Tapatalk is a security risk and that they are only out to monetize their app.
This is not at all fact NOW is it? Because as far as I can tell:

1. Security issues are seemingly fixed.
2. There is a way to opt-out of the advertising.

Tapatalk sure has left a bad taste in folks' mouth.
But I still appreciate the functionality anyway.

J.

Tapatalk could become a security risk tomorrow and it's customers would be the last to know. It's pure amateur hour with their customer service.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
I don't trust them personally. Just because they tell me a revenue amount, doesn't mean I believe them.

PoetJC

I don't trust them personally. Just because they tell me a revenue amount, doesn't mean I believe them.
Hmmm - And trust is a HUGE issue.
Loose your customers trust and they go shopping elsewhere....
Apparently this is what's happened with so many folks opinion of Tapatalk anyway...

J.

Bozza

Enthusiast
A bump on this one.

How are people doing with Tapatalk revenues now they have deployed it more fully now?

This was my January. Nothing spectacular, but it all helps.

Screen Shot 2015-02-26 at 17.59.44.png

Digital Doctor

Tazmanian
No one thinks Tapatalk is a good idea unless you have a super unfriendly mobile design as Tapatalk will reformat your content for you.

Just use Adsense and you'll make more ad revenue.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I removed Tapatalk from all of my forums. I didn't feel it was heading in the right direction for any of them.

I want to get rid of Tapatalk, but when I mention it, my members always react strongly in opposition :(.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I want to get rid of Tapatalk, but when I mention it, my members always react strongly in opposition :(.

I also had some opposition but most of my members eventually understood my reasons and quite a number actually reinforced those reasons by stating their own gripes.