TapaTalk hacked

One reason I moved on from vBulletin products and over to IPB 3 because at least I didn't need a bunch of 3rd party plugin to make up for the lacking forum software. At least IPB comes with a mobile complaint skin and doesn't require 3rd party plugins. Also being IPB is a skin you have full control of what your members sees. Not like Forum Runner or Tapatalk that can modify what you members see.

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
One reason I moved on from vBulletin products and over to IPB 3 because at least I didn't need a bunch of 3rd party plugin to make up for the lacking forum software. At least IPB comes with a mobile complaint skin and doesn't require 3rd party plugins. Also being IPB is a skin you have full control of what your members sees. Not like Forum Runner or Tapatalk that can modify what you members see.
VB4 has a mobile skin as well, which you can edit. Skins cannot provide the same functionality as apps however.

Sorry to say but vB4 is behind the times. We can't all live in the past. Joe vB3 and vB4 had there time there are old school now. Technology is constantly change and moving forward. So why would I choke my members with out dated software that isn't properly supported? If I was still building computers I wouldn't build a computer today and install Windows 3.1 or Windows XP. Of course I would install today's software either Windows 8.1 or Linux.

Sorry Joe time to let go...

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
Sorry to say but vB4 is behind the times. We can't all live in the past. Joe vB3 and vB4 had there time there are old school now. Technology is constantly change and moving forward. So why would I choke my members with out dated software that isn't properly supported? If I was still building computers I wouldn't build a computer today and install Windows 3.1 or Windows XP. Of course I would install today's software either Windows 8.1 or Linux.

VB4 supported just fine. Your welcome to your opinion. I'm not trying to get you back to vBulletin, just pointing out mistakes for the benefit of those who may not know better- obviously not the regular crowd- they don't care.

Rasty

Fan

I like XP

VB4 supported just fine. Your welcome to your opinion. I'm not trying to get you back to vBulletin, just pointing out mistakes for the benefit of those who may not know better- obviously not the regular crowd- they don't care.

Sorry your claim of supported fine might be your opinion. We'll have to agree to disagree because vB3 and vB4 are out of date and not supporting today technology properly.

I like XP

Just like myself I love using Win XP in VirtualBox because of its small size but no connection to the internet. Again another software that is no longer properly supported.

Mobile technology is changing from day to day. So there is no way the vB4 skin from way back is still up to today's standards nor have they updated (I'm pretty sure).

Last edited:

Rasty

Fan

I didn't have an axe to grind when liking at software. The first thing I looked at was vbulletin because I was familiar with it as a user. I tried the free trials of vbulletin, xenforo, ipb, wbb and a few free forum software. My least favorite was vbulletin. My favorite was WBB with xenforo being a close second. IPB was third. It's not all just customers bashing vbulletin because we are being jerks. There are reasons vbulletin is losing market share.

Rasty

Fan
Sorry you claim of supported fine might be your opinion. We'll have to agree to disagree because vB3 and vB4 are out of date and not supporting today technology properly.

Just like myself I love using Win XP in VirtualBox because of its small size but no connection to the internet. Again another software that is no longer properly supported.

Mobile technology is changing from day to day. So there is no way the vB4 skin from way back is still up to today's standards nor have they updated (I'm pretty sure).

We have one computer left at work running xp because I need a specific java version to run our HVAC system. We leave it unplugged and only turn it on to adjust the system a few times per year.

We have one computer left at work running xp because I need a specific java version to run our HVAC system. We leave it unplugged and only turn it on to adjust the system a few times per year.

Once again isolated case. When you watch analytics and see that mobile usage is up. Like mine is 48% mobile devices and 43% desktop. So that means I have to be sure the forum software meets today mobile phones which in my case is mostly iPhones and iPads but I've got many others. So looking at forum runner or tapatalk where it fill the void of out of date forum software that doesn't meet today mobile but instead of putting band-aids on your forum software it best to update. Like for me going from vB4 to IPB3.

Floorist

Participant
When I first encountered Tapatalk, I checked their IP. It traces back to communist China. No thanks.

Rudy

Enthusiast
I had payment issues with them, which led to my ultimate distrust of the company. (I had to get a third party involved since they never answered my emails. Crooks.) I've already ditched Crapatalk due to this and other technical concerns. Responsive layout made them irrelevant for us, and that was my chance to change it. Throw in the notoriously bad support and dodged questions, and there really is no reason to use them anymore. The way it was installed on XF was a total clusterfudge anyway, the work of rank amateurs. It was an accident waiting to happen.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
You should throw away most of your consumer appliances and electronics as well.
What he may be referring to is the "hacking" that occurs from there. A concern that a back door was coded into the add-on. I don't think most household appliances would have that ability. I DO know that some of their electronic devices are prohibited from being used at governmental installations/institutions.

Joe.

Adherent
I got the email too. Luckily I use a different/unique password for every site I go on so the hackers can have that password and accomplish nothing with it. :p

Sherrie

Fan
The vb4 mobile skin is ugly and hard to navigate, I cant remember specifics anymore but it certainly put me off accessing my forum on a mobile. Responsive theme out of the box is so much better and considering only 40% of my users are desktop users, catering to mobiles is very important :)

Floorist

Participant
You should throw away most of your consumer appliances and electronics as well.
You want to enter personal information in an app that is run through Shanghai China, go ahead. Not me. Do you bank from your phone? Would you like a Chinese company having access to your bank info? Your social security number?

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
You want to enter personal information in an app that is run through Shanghai China, go ahead. Not me. Do you bank from your phone? Would you like a Chinese company having access to your bank info? Your social security number?

Honestly that is just ridiculous... Any rouge developer from any country could be planting 'spyware' on to your device. Avoiding Chinese apps is nothing but a false sense of security. Tapatalk is a well known, much used app- if you don't want to use them due to the possibility of security risks for your forum or you feel they have bad support or don't answer your emails- that is all valid and fine- but worrying they are logging your social security number is ridiculous. What are you even doing you're entering your SS# on a phone? I can't remember the last time I needed to enter my SS# online.

Finn

Participant
I've never used Tapatalk. Seems silly, and pointless. Just another company making something useless seem useful to make money.