Tapatalk.com SEO

NoSmoke

Neophyte
Hi All,

I have just discovered that Tapatalk have been hosting content from our forum on their site. Shocked is an understatement! I have contacted their support and asked for it to be taken down. Eric Sternbach has replied and stated that we were notified that this would happen but has admitted that they way they have announced it, and the way they have taken our current settings (Do not promote enabled) into account that this may not have been handled well.

He has stated we were emailed about this but I can't find an email (and I don't deleted emails) so have asked for confirmation.

My main q for you all is that I can still see content on there. I have emailed these back to him again and asked to fix otherwise I will need to ask their hosting provider to suspend their service. Any of you got experience of doing this. I don't like causing hassle for other people but their copying of our content sticks in my throat, complete abuse of the business relationship we have. Would love to drop them but know a lot of our site users like having the app (when it works) so any suggestions for alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

pierce

Habitué
I don't think Tapatalk is on the normal level of "being hosted".

As in you can't have them suspended.

Your better off in civil conversation in hopes that it's resolved swiftly, and if you wish document your progress here for others.

NoSmoke

Neophyte
They are hosted by Amazon and I would have thought they would treat Tapatalk the same as any other client. If Tapatalk are hosting content that they have basically ripped from other sites without permission then their host should suspend them according to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act?

NoSmoke

Neophyte
I am in civil conversation with them of course. They advised me that they have removed all content containing our content. A few have gone but not all. So I have given them another 48 hours before I pursue the matter.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
I don't think Tapatalk is on the normal level of "being hosted".

As in you can't have them suspended.

Your better off in civil conversation in hopes that it's resolved swiftly, and if you wish document your progress here for others.

Send the site a DMCA notice. If they fail to take action then the site sends one to Amazon. Amazon must take action, failure to do so loses them safe harbor and puts them in the same liability shoes as the actual copyright infringer.

GTB

Tazmanian
I have just discovered that Tapatalk have been hosting content from our forum on their site
They seem to be getting worse with the stunts they pull, like they are getting desperate.

NoSmoke

Neophyte
Content from our site is here https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sour...=UTF-8#q=site:tapatalk.com/topic/ inurl:49796

Content is still there in places but looks like some has been removed. Leaves us no choice but to file DMCA request today. Eric has not responded to my email so have emailed again asking him to give this matter the attention it deserves.

I am tempted to look up as many Tapatalk clients as possible and drop them an email so they can all email tapatalk to let them know what they think about this. I am sure most won't be happy about the misappropriation of their content...

ENF

Participant
Wow.. just found some of our old site content still being shown on Tapatalk links. Thanks for pointing this out. I will ask nicely one time to have our content removed and see how it goes.

(We tossed Tapatalk awhile back, still getting pings to our servers looking for the Tapatalk files.)

zappaDPJ

Wow.. just found some of our old site content still being shown on Tapatalk links.

Likewise and I also removed Tapatalk from all of my forums around two years ago.

Based on their previous shoddy business practices I suppose I shouldn't be surprised but this has annoyed me to put it mildly.

Sal Collaziano

Womanizer
I'm glad I left a long time ago. I didn't want my content hosted anywhere but my own server and I also noticed that my measly ad revenue was even worse when using TapaTalk. At that point in time there was no way to use my own ad code on the app. Why on Earth, with mobile going as big as I knew it would go, would I want such little control over my mobile ad revenue. It IS nice for end users...

Oh my goodness, Tapatalk is scraping my sites and republishing them on the web. This is ridiculous!

Last edited:

ENF

Participant
This now locked thread might be worth a read, especially the last post from winter.

https://support.tapatalk.com/thread...their-own-domain-and-running-ads-on-it.34524/

This part:
Winter at Tapatalk said:
To uninstall - simply uninstall the Plugin - our system will flush the content using in 24 hours to a few days, then it will be completely offline.
Well, this part isn't true or doesn't work as intended. There's still some of our stuff floating around nearly a year since it was posted and 3 months since Tapatalk was removed completely.

zappaDPJ

Well, this part isn't true or doesn't work as intended. There's still some of our stuff floating around nearly a year since it was posted and 3 months since Tapatalk was removed completely.

I removed Tapatalk well over a year ago from all of my forums and I'm seeing the same. I found this Tapatalk blog which provides further information.

https://blog.tapatalk.com/tapatalk-monetization-update/

Tapatalk.com is similar to Google News – it is not a forum reader and it only shows a preview of posts.

That doesn't seem to be the case. I've found one of our 5000+ word articles with multiple images reproduced in full.

Then there's this...

Is this new feature Opt-In or Opt-out by default?

All sites can enable or disable these pages at anytime, by logging to tour Tapatalk Dashboard>Site Settings>Monetization Settings. This is also where you can place your AdSense information.

As the blog doesn't provide an answer, I'll answer that myself. By default it appears to be opt in.