Successful Group Owners

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Anyone on here successful Facebook group owners/admins?

I have a few groups that are mainly locally-niche based but overall, on a few of the main ones, I'm doing quite well.

My main group which concentrates on southern Illinois hiking and outdoor recreation has over 8,200 members and its fairly active. It has turned into my baby of the groups. It's not even really 3 years old and it didn't take long to get 8,000+ members. Took me years to get 1,000 on a forum.

Interesting in seeing if any of you are doing well with Facebook Groups!?

we_are_borg

Administrator
I admin a group but where not large around 800 but its only public this year before it was private and you waited one month to get in. This year i made it public and auto invited people on criteria. I hope we can grow the group by 200 next year, but i rather have people on a forum.

Dragonchilde

Participant
I run a 27,000 member facebook group, but it piggybacks off of our very large community forum. We started the Facebook group to meet people where they are. We've grown that size in the last two years. It helped to have a long-standing established community with brand recognition.

Wendell

Aspirant
My wife is a Facebook Power Admin and admins many groups for TV shows, local groups, etc. Seems like too much of a pain in the ass for little reward, if you ask me.

haqzore

Devotee
My wife is a Facebook Power Admin and admins many groups for TV shows, local groups, etc. Seems like too much of a pain in the ass for little reward, if you ask me.
This is my thing with FB groups.

It's never really "your" group. You can't monetize it. You can't add/remove features....

What happens if/when FB decides on Group changes that don't benefit your community? Or actively disrupt it? Or when they go the way of Yahoo groups/similar?

There are certainly benefits, but the equal (if not more) risks should be considered alongside those benefits.

mcmastodon

Aspirant
Anyone on here successful Facebook group owners/admins?

I have a few groups that are mainly locally-niche based but overall, on a few of the main ones, I'm doing quite well.

My main group which concentrates on southern Illinois hiking and outdoor recreation has over 8,200 members and its fairly active. It has turned into my baby of the groups. It's not even really 3 years old and it didn't take long to get 8,000+ members. Took me years to get 1,000 on a forum.

Interesting in seeing if any of you are doing well with Facebook Groups!?
I run 5 FB groups, each with 4-5 figures in members. They are for posting jobs in a niche industry.

I started them because I used to recruit in those industries. Now... I'm just moderating them as a legacy duty. I don't really make money from them, I think. This is why I want to create a forum. You can sell a forum, you can't sell a FB group (well, at least not without violating TOS).

TLChris

Administrator
I have a number of forums across many different verticals, wish wide ranging. They are great for sharing content, but hard to get folks pulled into the forums...but not impossible.

Kaelon

Enthusiast
I lead several groups, each with 4-to-5 figure members, with lots of activity; there is virtually no revenue-generation or website/forum-synergization capability that these Facebook groups offer. It's part of Facebook's walled garden, so just think of it as a hobby - with a lot of effort to keep going.

moozician

Aspirant
I run a few groups, mostly political (Yang2024) or submarine related. There comes a point where the group becomes self-sustaining, but I aint there yet.