Successful Forum: Members and Staff

Shawn G

Tazmanian Addict
Shawn G submitted a new Article:

Welcome to article number 2 of my “Successful Forums" article series. In this article, I will be discussing how you can gain members and staff members for your message forum. In the last article, I explained methods you can use to create a forum a get started and in this article, I will show ways for you to populate your forum with members and staff members to help keep in active. Thank you for reading this article and I hope you enjoy it.

Start off with 2 or more staff members

Some people will tell you to start a forum on your own because too many staff members on a new forum will look bad, this is a myth and should not be followed. Everyone knows that most businesses have to have more than one person when they start otherwise all the workload in on one person and that is a recipe for failure. It's the same with a forum in many cases. If you start by yourself, then it's completely you duties to get the forum going and keep it active until active members join. You will be the one posting new topics and when there are no replies, you will then have to think of more topics to post until replies start occurring. You will also have to make sure spam doesn't affect the community and if it becomes a problem, you may find yourself losing sleep at night just to combat spam.

If you start out with yourself and another staff member or two, then it will prove to be a lot easier to get the forum going. Imagine it for a second, you make new topics and your other staff member or two can reply to it giving you a chance to reply to them and presto, you have a discussion formed. While some people don’t mind being the only staff member making new topics, I personally would love to have responses from the get go because it will make the community look more active if there are discussions in progress and that is a big plus for guests that are considering registering on your forum. Plus, the extra staff member or members can help enforce your rules, make sure everything is running properly, find any errors or bugs and control spam issues.

There is such thing as too much staff though. If your forum is brand new, I would recommend starting out you yourself and 1 to 2 other staff members at the max. You don't want too many staff members because if you have too many, there will be so much less work that some of the staff may not have nothing to do and could get bored and not be as active because of having nothing to do. As your...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

ThisOldMan

Wordsmith
I think it's a good idea to start with at least two staff right from day one. You and your buddy. It's a way of making sure that the forum stands a better chance of surviving personal crises.

Lilya_aaf

Aspirant
Fantastic article, going to get my staff to read it too :)

I think it's definitely important not to do it all yourself and have at least one other staff member - it also helps when you need to make decisions that you have a sounding board / someone to discuss it with, another point of view is always good.

Spork_aaf

Participant
It's a good idea to start out with a small group of staff, but none too huge. Perhaps you and 2 moderators + a GFX designer if needed. This is a great article and can probably help a lot of new people who are looking to make a forum.