Stress testing your Server and Forum App

GhettoChild

Enthusiast
In a couple of months I will have to do a stess test for my fourm before going live with the site to see how much traffic the server can handle.

I want to see how many simultaneous querries the server can handle before an issue occurs and I want to see where the site will need to be optimized for better performance under high traffic periods.

Is there a tool or process someone can reccomed that can be ussd to test server performace under heavy loads?

Have a look at siege

Code:
siege -u YOURSITE -c 1000 -d 30 -t 1M
siege: invalid option -- 'u'
siege: invalid option -- 'u'
** SIEGE 2.70
** Preparing 1000 concurrent users for battle.
The server is now under siege...
Lifting the server siege...      done.
Transactions:                   3558 hits
Availability:                 100.00 %
Elapsed time:                  60.01 secs
Data transferred:              42.66 MB
Response time:                  0.24 secs
Transaction rate:              59.29 trans/sec
Throughput:                     0.71 MB/sec
Concurrency:                   14.13
Successful transactions:        3558
Failed transactions:               0
Longest transaction:            0.99
Shortest transaction:           0.07

LotusJeff

Enthusiast
I use a cloud product called Loader.io. It has allowed me to stress test my forum to determine number of users and average response time. Using the free version, you can test several pages.

LotusJeff

tomk

Adherent
Siege, apache bench, etc are all nice testing tools, but don't really give you the full picture of what your forums can do, outside of how many concurrent users looking at your forums you may or may not be able to handle, which can be all over the board if you are caching (varnish, ATS, etc) or even using a CDN.

Has anyone developed a set of tools to emulate users and do things like posts, search, read/click through forums, register as a new user, etc, to see what a real-world traffic loads would look like?

LotusJeff

Enthusiast
Try BlazeMeter. We used them at work and were able to build scenarios to test with. They have a model that provides 5 tests for $100.

For my forum, I just stress test it on key pages (home, search result page, couple of topics.). This is what the majority of the users see.

jeff

Uzomb

Neophyte
There are a plenty of options to perform a stress test. Personally, when I was launching my website I executed end to end software testing to find out all issues and bugs. So, I recommend you consider this option. At least, no harm in trying.