Stepping Down From A Staff Position

Blind Bandit

Fanatic
Blind Bandit submitted a new Article:

Stepping Down From A Staff Position

Stepping Down From a Staff Position

By Blind Bandit

So the time has come when you need to move on. Your staff but for whatever reason the circumstances have changed and it’s time to retire. This article will help you know when it’s time to step down and how to do so. As well as how to deal with no longer being staff.

When you should consider retiring?

Lack of time - If you’re finding it hard to log on and make worthwhile contributions to the board. Let alone actually doing your duties as staff. You should consider retiring. Many staffers have faced this problem. We all have lives and they come first. Most admin will allow you to return once you have greater amounts of time to dedicate to the forum.

You’re not happy- Sometimes this just happens. The forum doesn’t bring you the same joy as it once did. Maybe you’re just losing interest. Remember your enjoyment of a forum is important. Just as important as being a good staffer to that forum. Being an unhappy staff member will only cause your quality of work to suffer.

Staff burnout- You love being staff and the forum itself. But you’re tired and you’re burned out. Everyone gets burned out to some degree but if you’re here. You can’t take it anymore. You can’t function as staff anymore. And you have tried recovering away from the forum. It’s time to retire.

Irreconcilable differences among staff- Sometimes differences on how a board should be run, a member dealt with or other polarizing issues are just too much to handle. Granted you should take every possible opportunity to mend any problems amongst yourself and fellow staff members. If you can’t find a reasonable compromise. Its best to make a clean break. To avoid becoming an unhappy and apathetic staff member.

It’s important to note that retiring from a staff position especially a high ranking position, or a lengthy term can be trying. Here are some tips to help making retirement easier.

Think it through- When things go wrong it’s easy to jump to bad conclusions. Many times you may want to resign. When it feels like the forum is falling in on you. Members are angry at you, staff is angry at you and you’re trying to make sense of it all. It’s important to think issues through carefully and understand what your considering.

Can you work it out- Sometimes staff and forum issues can be dealt with. You should...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Blind Bandit

Fanatic
Thanks to Shawn. Because if he hadn't posted all of his articles, I wouldn't have the courage to post mine.

Medora

The New Architect
Hi, B.B.

Not being happy was the reason I left the first forum I was staff at. However, I didn't follow your advice of thinking through the decision, so I reverted my posts to guests without ever considering that the higher ups would have a problem with it. (I know there are ways to re-assign posts to an account, but I don't know if it was something that could be done by casual phpBB2 users early in that software's life.)

Mind you, this was not only the first forum I moderated at, but the first forum I joined. It was probably in 2000 that I joined, and even when I became a staff member, I was still inexperienced. In any case, if I had talked over my decision with fellow staff, my leave would likely have gone smoothly.

Even now, I may recall a mistake and feel nauseous. However, all I can do now is learn from all the mistakes I made while in a management position, including the one described above.

I hope you don't mind if I nitpick your essay. Near the beginning of your essay you said this:

If you’re finding it hard to log on and make worthwhile contributions to the board. Let alone actually doing your duties as staff. You should consider retiring. Many staffers have faced this problem. We all have lives and they come first. Most admin will allow you to return once you have greater amounts of time to dedicate to the forum.
The part highlighted in bold bothers me: the two sentences proceeding the first should be part of the first sentence. A few suggested revisions:

If you’re finding it hard to log on and make worthwhile contributions to the board (let alone actually doing your duties as staff), you should consider retiring.
If you’re finding it hard to log on and make worthwhile contributions to the board—let alone actually doing your duties as staff—you should consider retiring.
If you’re finding it hard to log on and make worthwhile contributions to the board, let alone actually doing your duties as staff, you should consider retiring.
Now, I don't pretend to be an expert at English, and I wouldn't be surprised if I'm mistaken in at least one of my examples, but that part of your essay seems more natural when it's not made into three sentences.

Also, sorry for being a grammar Nazi.

Regards,

Kevin

Vilandra

Banshee
Great article :)

Can you add something about admins gracefully letting staff go as well? lol - I had an admin tear me a new one after I stepped down because I didn't have enough time to do a proper job and they had changed the board topic to something that had zero interest or relevance to me (it became a board for fathers and I am female and not a parent lol).

Dean

Participant
Staff burnout- You love being staff and the forum itself. But youre tired and youre burned out. Everyone gets burned out to some degree but if youre here. You cant take it anymore. You cant function as staff anymore. And you have tried recovering away from the forum. Its time to retire.

On some days I am burned out. Trouble is, it is my own forum! : )

Ryan Ashbrook

IPS Developer
Really good article. Typically when I retire from a forum I do exactly what is outlined here.

Most notable, when I retired from the MyBB Staff. Did it with grace, and never made a huge deal out of it. Just a simple resignation email.