Staying Default

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
So I have recently started another forum. I tried a general forum but lost interest for it because of slow growth and then of course COVID hit and my public health degree became an opportunity for my employer so I really focused on using spare time to study all that.

Anyways, the forum didn't work out. A general forum for me is just too general.

So I started a new forum more geared to what I get into but I'm getting off topic here. The idea of this post is that I'm using the default XF theme for a number of reasons:
  • My niche isn't software related so I doubt my members will notice it that much
  • Addons tend to work more seamlessly with the default theme
  • It's easier to maintain the default theme that will get updated as long as the forum gets updated rather than risk your theme going out of date and staying out of date
  • I can always edit colors here and there on the default theme to make it slightly unique
So what do you all think about this? Sticking to the default rather than choosing a unique theme?

Paul M

Limeade Addict
You can change the colours of a default forum, without actually using a custom style (you could even do that on vB4, 11 years ago).

Thats more than enough for most people I would think, just to make things a little different, and colourful.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I remember before when I used to have the most trouble trying to find the right theme. Now the theme making companies I used are great but the default really is all I really need. Like you said, a good logo and color change here and there would probably be all you need.

haqzore

Devotee
I run the default IPS theme on a local forum. Nobody knows, or cares.

Its not the big deal some of us make ourselves think it is.

But - it certainly depends on the niche. A Tech or Gaming forum, for instance, would be ill-served by ANY scripts default theme.

TLChris

Administrator
My current trend is to leverage CSS, few template edits, and keep a theme as basic as possible. So far it seems to be working quite well. So like Paul M mentioned, change the color, and leave it stock.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
I try to keep all changes in the style settings, and extra.less. It avoids any conflicts during upgrades, and an entirely custom look can be achieved if you're good with CSS.

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
At the very least I think it would be worth changing colors in the style properties. You don't need any knowledge of CSS to do that either.

Russ

Administrator
Jokes aside, I honestly hate dealing with outdated templates and the hassle of upgrading.

I made the choice last year to slim down our framework quite a bit to help with future upgrades. When our first big release of the 2.x series went live we had somewhere near 15 default templates edited. As of our latest version we now have only 4 default templates edited. This reduces the conflicts with add-ons, reduces the potential outdated templates when upgrading, and just cleans up the framework overall. We even went into the templates we did edit and made adjustments everywhere we could to make sure it was as clean as possible to view custom changes and provide the best support for add-ons.

This is an example of one of the templates being cleaned up. Red is where we've changed/modified the default XenForo code, green is simply new code being added. Ideally, the less red the better.
oldnewpost (1).png

As with staying with the default style, nothing really wrong with that. I enjoy working on forums and find it fun to customize my projects outside the initial look so having the features that come with a pre-made style can make that a little easier. I'm all for spending 6 months on a style and 0 days on content for my personal sites :D.

ProWeb

Enthusiast
I enjoy working on forums and find it fun to customize my projects outside the initial look so having the features that come with a pre-made style can make that a little easier.
Good to know you enjoy it, especially since your work is so good and you're always awesome to work with!!!