Starting A Sports Network?

sportainment submitted a new Article:

Starting A Sports Network?

Good Day to you all... before I get into this tutorial/suggestion post on how to create a sports network I want to start by saying that I am in no way a genious when it comes to website forums, the sporting community, or in life really.

This tutorial/suggestion post has been made from my own experience, something that has been working well with me for over a year and something that can take your website from just another sports website.

1. Preperation
Just like with any and all websites you should always plan a sports network - I call it a network when you offer news/ interviews/ forums/ games and the rest but all of this stuff can be applied easily to a sports forum.

You need to think about what you are going to cover on your website. What sports, what talking points, what off-field discussions are you going to have.

For me I find it easier it write it all down on a piece of paper, plan the categories, the boards, the layout. After I have it written down I then turn around and put the piece of paper down and leave it for a day.

The following day I come back and have a look at it, I do this because some things sound like a good idea, or look like a good layout, however after you have had time away you realise it isn't that good after-all.

2. Scope your Opposition
When it comes to sport websites, sport networks, sport forums (what ever you are creating) there is already a large number of opposition out there, some are big websites everyone knows about some a small that you have to do your best to try and find.

It is important that when checking out you rivals/competition that you visit both the big and small websites - while the big ones are more popular (thanks largly to their big budgets they can put into advertising) the smaller ones may also have a number of great features, or ideas that you haven't even thought out.

While you are looking at your competition the main things to look for are their layouts, what works what doesn't. Features available on each website, and take a look in their suggestions/feedback boards - this tells you what sport fans (your audience) want, and what some administrators are refusing to put on.

3. Styling
This one is simple and easy - come up with your own design. It is easy (like many do) to have a site that is two or three columns, with latest forum posts, ladders/standings etc on the right and your news on the left.

Don't be afraid to think outside the box. The amount of sport websites...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Kall-AdEx

You make some really good points mate.. some stuff there I hadn't considered.

Very interesting read. :)

MjrNuT

Fan
Well written and easy to read. Quite a bit of information here and easy analogies to make for other niches, really. I believe that is quite valuable in writing Articles.

Thanks so much for your time, effort, energy, and candidness with this.

I thought about doing a sports related site myself actually, Cycling. I'm quite passionate about it and had an inkling of what was needed. You completely confirmed this for me. Meaning, I'd say you've provided a very healthy ideal process and I had thoughts of a few levels below that. However, I know it would not last without being closer to this that you have provided.

+1

Thank you both for the comments they are really appreciated. As I was writing it was like 1am my time and I now see some spelling mistakes, but at the time I was thinking who would be interested in what I have to say and so I just wrote from experience and thought even if it helps you to have a better looking website, getting a "sponsor" who will give you prizes etc it would help out.

I think this could be used well on any other niche also, for example a television forum - contact the media departments for the television channels so when the announce new shows/cancellations etc you are the first with the news to provide, contact electronic stores that have online merchandise but aren't giants in the field and they may give you a couple prizes or something so you can run quiz competitions or something like that.

Best of luck to everyone and if I have helped you in some sort of way my job is done.

transient

Aspirant
Can you give me an idea of what to expect from sports teams? Would they email the info to me? Would I browse a specific section on their own website, whcih I suppose I can do now.

transient said:
Can you give me an idea of what to expect from sports teams? Would they email the info to me? Would I browse a specific section on their own website, whcih I suppose I can do now.

By contacting a sporting club they may add you to their Media Distribution List which means when there is news to know they will e-mail you and you can then put it on the site.

transient

Aspirant
Thanks for the reply. It'd be great if indeed this worked out. Kind of regret being a one team fan now