Starting a forum is very hard - drop outs

DigNap15

Enthusiast
Hi Guys
I have had my forum running for 6 weeks now
After an intial big surge in members it has settled down a bit now

But I can see why so many forums disappaear after a few months
There is so much to learn and do.
Eg I just had a dream to start a forum to provide a service and outlet for my members
ut I had to learn about - spammers, the back office of the forum software (no real guides), dealing with trolls, advertising, domain names, email servers, web host costs, web host settings, forum templates and styles, add-ons, Apache, CDN, untold technical terms.
No wonder many people give up
I was lucky in that I had a bit of help from a Xenforo member, and that my forum was growing well which encouraged me to carry on.
But it was a real helicopter ride for those 6 weeks
And I still have a lot of technical terms to learn, as my site grows and hosting load may grow

sbjsbj

Fan
I agree that starting a forum is hard. I also agree that this plays a role in the drop outs and that one must learn a lot of things.

But the drop outs don't happen because of that.

Drop outs happen because of wrong expactations. The reality is not like our dreams. Most people drop out because they have no visitors and that discourages them. They simply don't understand that we don't live in 2005 anymore.

Most people don't understand that they should invest money in content rather than in addons. Same old thing I tell everyone. You must have a plan about what you will serve to people. YOU must provide content, nobody will do it for you. And then when it starts rolling, then you can sit back and enjoy it growing.

This is a grinding game. If you want to become a Youtuber, you must grind it with a plan. If you want to make money with a website, you must grind it with a plan. If you want to build a community, you must grind it with a plan.

A plan means in our case:
a) What content will you serve?
b) How will you get that content?
c) How will you serve it?

Nobody can escape Google. If you want to get traction, you must have a content in place when you have opened the forum for the public. So Google can crawl it and after months of patience you will get some users. And you build from there. You must provide stuff nobody else can do or which is hard to find.

This is why warez forums do so good. All of these stuff is normally behind paywalls. But warez forums offer them for free, so people land on them, because they can't find it anywhere else.

Last edited:

DigNap15

Enthusiast
What’s about your forum is ?
My forum is a General and Politics forum here in New Zealand a small country.
I was very lucky in that soon after I started my forum the biggest one in NZ closed down their politics category, as they are worried about government censorship and too much moderation for them

Faust

Participant
My forum is a General and Politics forum here in New Zealand a small country.
I was very lucky in that soon after I started my forum the biggest one in NZ closed down their politics category, as they are worried about government censorship and too much moderation for them
That's not bad. I'm not really into politics, but I think it's hard to grow a political forum

Ingenious

Fan
as they are worried about government censorship
In New Zealand? I thought it was a democracy with a high press freedom ranking? (Reporters Without Borders ranks it 7th - ahead of the UK 33rd and USA 48th). One of the safer places to have a political debate you would feel.

DigNap15

Enthusiast
In New Zealand? I thought it was a democracy with a high press freedom ranking? (Reporters Without Borders ranks it 7th - ahead of the UK 33rd and USA 48th). One of the safer places to have a political debate you would feel.
We now have a left wing government, and some of their leaders do not like Free Speech, and their are rumours of a crackdown. Especially in light of the Christchurch mosque shooting. Most of our media is very biased.

Last edited:

overcast

Adherent
Funny how left wing penetrated in society, first they wanted free speech from right wing and now once they are in power, they remove free speech from right wing.

forumowner

Aspirant
takes a while, at least a few years if you are starting from scratch, to get a core userbase of 10-20 people that will stay with the community no matter what

some create forums from banned or existing subreddits or forums and then gain thousands of members with no effort

regardless, most forums i know employ sockpuppeting in the early stages

forumowner

Aspirant
takes years honestly to grow a forum from scratch, often not worth it if you don't have a good domain name

nobody would go to this forum if it were called forumadmin247support.biz, but theadminzone.com is a lot better name