Started a forum on MyBB. Limitations of MyBB?

Brandon

Aspirant
I've been using MyBB for a few months and I'd say compared to other forum software I've used it does have a very limited amount of bloat. I can't say much about the support but that's because I haven't had any problems.

Joshuad

Developer
I've already posted my opinions about Mybb once in the past 24 hours, might as well do it again.

In terms of limitations, I would say that depends on your programming skills. I haven't been limited to anything that I've tried to do, and only second to vBulletin, Mybb has the EASIEST code to work with. It is all cleanly written. Admittedly, I haven't toyed with IPB since it still catered a free version, but I recall back then the software was VERY difficult for me to get around to write my own modifications, and installing other developers mods were also a pain. Installing mods on Mybb is also much easier than vBulletin, the only downfall is that debugging is a lot more difficult when installing said modifications.

Andrew B.

Fan
I recently installed MyBB. I'm not a live forum now, but I offered to let some people test it who are shopping for software. The overall response was very positive. The main objection was busyness of the interface. And oddball things like its merge post feature.

From an admin point of view, everything is very easy to do. It's the easiest admin panel I've ever used. One problem, though. The style creator broke. It stopped working correctly there are signs file corruption. I asked for help on mybb.com, but don't have a reply. I hope someone there can help me. I don't want to have to start over.

pavemen

Adherent
I recently installed MyBB. I'm not a live forum now, but I offered to let some people test it who are shopping for software. The overall response was very positive. The main objection was busyness of the interface. And oddball things like its merge post feature.

From an admin point of view, everything is very easy to do. It's the easiest admin panel I've ever used. One problem, though. The style creator broke. It stopped working correctly there are signs file corruption. I asked for help on mybb.com, but don't have a reply. I hope someone there can help me. I don't want to have to start over.

curious as to what you find 'busy' and what you think is oddball about the merge post. regarding the merge thing, is it auto merge of two posts from the same user in the same thread one right after the other? if so, that can be disabled in the ACP

Andrew B.

Fan
curious as to what you find 'busy'
Hmmm. Trying to remember. The main thing I remember is the buttons on the lower left of every message.

and what you think is oddball about the merge post. regarding the merge thing, is it auto merge of two posts from the same user in the same thread one right after the other? if so, that can be disabled in the ACP
I think the came off worse because they were there to test. And so a couple of them were posting messages quickly, to test things. Also, it throws off threading. And it occurs in an odd way. There is no header above the merged messages to indicate a merge. So it looked like an oddly written post. And I did turn it off.

But these are just some of the negatives. Overall, the response was very positive. And a couple things they especially liked were saving draft messages and user control over postbit layout.

pavemen

Adherent
Hmmm. Trying to remember. The main thing I remember is the buttons on the lower left of every message.

I think the came off worse because they were there to test. And so a couple of them were posting messages quickly, to test things. Also, it throws off threading. And it occurs in an odd way. There is no header above the merged messages to indicate a merge. So it looked like an oddly written post. And I did turn it off.

But these are just some of the negatives. Overall, the response was very positive. And a couple things they especially liked were saving draft messages and user control over postbit layout.

Those buttons can be changed via the theme/templates to move them, change the look, or even make a VB type drop down from the username.

I am not a fan of the post merge either, but its a necessary evil to deal with flooding and to help keep the board clean. There should be an option to control the indication of merged posts.

MattR

MyBB Support Team Lead

There's a horizontal line to separate the posts, and there's a setting to put whatever you want in. It's a great feature to stop impatient people bumping threads when they haven't got a reply within 30 seconds.

There should be an option to control the indication of merged posts.

'Merge Separator' setting...?? :)

Last edited:

pavemen

Adherent
There's a horizontal line to separate the posts, and there's a setting to put whatever you want in. It's a great feature to stop impatient people bumping threads when they haven't got a reply within 30 seconds.

'Merge Separator' setting...?? :)

i have not tried it yet, but will it accept anything other than a basic HTML element/mycode? i am thinking of something along the lines of "User X has appended the following information to this post" plus a divider of some sort

Andrew B.

Fan
There's a horizontal line to separate the posts, and there's a setting to put whatever you want in.
Oh, I didn't notice that. I'll take a look. It would be great if it could add some text and maybe have the data and time.

One thing, though. I posted a tech question at mybb.com. By the next day I had thought of some things that might help solve the problem. So I replied to my own post. MyBB merged my reply. And this was after one day. A possible problem is that people who already read the message might not be alerted to the new information.

MattR

MyBB Support Team Lead
It wouldn't have merged if it was over 24 hours. Assuming it's this thread: http://community.mybb.com/thread-71606.html

06-14-2010, 04:26 AM (This post was last modified: Yesterday 12:17 AM by Andrew B..)

'Yesterday' was the 15th; 12:17 AM on the 15th is less than 24 hours after 4:26 AM on the 14th.

Obviously there's times where it isn't so helpful, but considering the fact some people in the support forums try and bump after less than 10 minutes, claiming they're being ignored, and sometimes try and bump 10 times before they realise it's not going to do anything, it's helped keep the support forums very clean and free of chaos, instead of everybody bumping their threads when they get more than 5 threads down the list. Plus you can tell it to ignore certain groups and certain forums so it doesn't have to be a global thing by any means.

Last edited:

pavemen

Adherent
when i first started using MyBB, the post merge was odd looking to me, especially when the sig line separator was identical.

I made the sig template use a <legend> wrapper and its much easier to read posts, especially after a merge

I still need to test text in the separator

Andrew B.

Fan
Obviously there's times where it isn't so helpful, but considering the fact some people in the support forums try and bump after less than 10 minutes, claiming they're being ignored,

Now I understand what this feature is for. If I were running a support forum I'd turn it on too.

For general use, though, it would be helpful to add some text under the line in small print that says something like "text added via post merge" plus the date and time. But I could not find that in the control panel.

Plus you can tell it to ignore certain groups and certain forums so it doesn't have to be a global thing by any means.

I can't find the ignore feature under forum settings.

pavemen

Adherent
Now I understand what this feature is for. If I were running a support forum I'd turn it on too.

For general use, though, it would be helpful to add some text under the line in small print that says something like "text added via post merge" plus the date and time. But I could not find that in the control panel.

I can't find the ignore feature under forum settings.

Its in the Posting section of the config area, search settings for "Merge" and Merge User Groups to Ignore comes up.

Andrew B.

Fan
Its in the Posting section of the config area, search settings for "Merge" and Merge User Groups to Ignore comes up.
When I search for "Merge" all I get is Post Merge Time. When I search for "Merging" all I get is control for the separator. When I search for "Merge User Groups to Ignore," then I get that feature.

Going directly to the posting control panel, the only merge feature there is Post Merge Time.

If you are getting a bunch of merge features by simply searching on the term "merge," then I have another crazy problem here.

MattR

MyBB Support Team Lead
You get 4 settings when you type in 'merge'. Time, forums to ignore, groups to ignore, separator.

When I search for "Merge" all I get is Post Merge Time. When I search for "Merging" all I get is control for the separator. When I search for "Merge User Groups to Ignore," then I get that feature.

Going directly to the posting control panel, the only merge feature there is Post Merge Time.

If it comes up when you search for 'Merge User Groups to Ignore' then it'd come up when you search for 'merge' too...

Andrew B.

Fan
You get 4 settings when you type in 'merge'. Time, forums to ignore, groups to ignore, separator.
If it comes up when you search for 'Merge User Groups to Ignore' then it'd come up when you search for 'merge' too...

Please click the link below to see what happens when I search for merge.

problem solved, link removed

Last edited:

pavemen

Adherent
not sure what to tell you. you are using 1.4.13, right? i tried it on two of my sites, both with the default ans sharepoint styles (just in case) and I get all four options with a 'merge' search

you are having some weird issues with your setup between this and the other issue we worked on

Andrew B.

Fan
not sure what to tell you. you are using 1.4.13, right? i tried it on two of my sites, both with the default ans sharepoint styles (just in case) and I get all four options with a 'merge' search

you are having some weird issues with your setup between this and the other issue we worked on
aaaargh! I just figured it out. MyBB removes the other merge controls from the control panel when the merge time field has no value in it. It also removes them from searching. As for why I could still find them using other search combinations, I don't know. But at least this sort of makes sense now.