Started a forum on MyBB. Limitations of MyBB?

twplanet

Aspirant
What do you think are the biggest limitations in MyBB compared to IPB. ?

Last edited:

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
I would say reputation is the main difference between IPB and MyBB. MyBB is a powerful piece of software with a lot of support from mod and them makers.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
What do you think are the biggest limitations in MyBB compared to IPB. ?
MyBB: Pay a symbolic fee for access to 'all' mods.
IPB: Pay for each single mod.

More like an 'edge' for MyBB here, but then again there aren't really many limitations or notable ones.

el canadiano

But I said ███████████
MyBB: Pay a symbolic fee for access to 'all' mods.
IPB: Pay for each single mod.

More like an 'edge' for MyBB here, but then again there aren't really many limitations or notable ones.
Not all IPB mods are paid. Some are free, as long as you own a license.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
vB wasnt ruling for no reason. Pretty much all mods free, separately from the initial acquisition cost of the forum script.

MattR

MyBB Support Team Lead
I suppose the biggest thing, if it's even a limitation, is the level of social networking stuff. From what I can see IPB has quite a lot, friends, profile comments, status updates etc, but all of these could be added with plugins to MyBB. That's the way we think these features should be done; MyBB is forum software, so we try and focus on that as much as possible.

Last edited:

hari

Tazmanian
I suppose the biggest thing, if it's even a limitation, is the level of social networking stuff. From what I can see IPB has quite a lot, friends, profile comments, status updates etc, but all of these could be added with plugins to MyBB. That's the way we think these features should be done; MyBB is forum software, so we try and focus on that as much as possible.
Precisely. A forum software shouldn't try to be an all-in-one social networking package. Too much bloat.

Also I'm never going to pay for a forum script again, as I won't have access to upgrades forever. I think Open Source packages has caught up on features and security over the years, so there's no excuse not to use them.

L4rz

Neophyte
Word.
I've been wondering for years why people pay hundred of dollars for a piece of software, that will be out-dated within a few months, when they can get a equal software for free. :bonk:

AJS

MyBB Support Tech'
I haven't used IPB so can't compare the two. But, I can't think of any limitations to MyBB, it does everything a forum software should, I've not had the need for any paid plugins yet either.

MattR

MyBB Support Team Lead
How can it being free possibly be a limitation?? Paid software is a limitation as it limits who can use it...

tercede

Adherent
Stay on topic please. MyBB is the subject.

I was saying that MyBB has obvious limits because it does not charge for the software and there is not money coming in like paid software. There is no money to fund the developers so their time is limited. Limited time, limited software development..but hey - that is just my 2 cents.

Obviously you're going to be biased.

HarryWx

IPB 3.0+ User

I was saying that MyBB has obvious limits because it does not charge for the software and there is not money coming in like paid software. There is no money to fund the developers so their time is limited. Limited time, limited software development..but hey - that is just my 2 cents.

Obviously you're going to be biased.
And you have been around since 2005?

I say that because the developers of MYBB are ALWAYS around AND Developing it as well as giving support. Averaging 2yrs or so between Major upgrades which i think is pretty much on par with what others are doing.

At one time ( years ago ) maybe that argument held some water but not now.

Nitrus

MyBB Developer
Funny, I don't see a Staff image below your name. Eyes playing tricks on me again.. :(

MyBB is probably the best free forum software available (I haven't used all of them) and the operative word is forum.

vB and IPB try to do too much, so they end up with with hundreds of mediocre features, whereas MyBB sticks to its core function and does it well.

Panupat

Habitué
From my own experience IPB features aren't medicore xD If you want to use only the forum you can always do that. All the add ons are optional.

normd

Participant
I cannot comment on IPB but i do think MyBB is about as good as it gets for forum software. The only other experience i have is phpbb but having experimented with MyBB i'll be changing. Oh as for paying for stuff Baa Humbug why pay when you can get it free?

Long live open source!

el canadiano

But I said ███████████
I guess. There are some things I don't really think are necessary, like Social Groups, but limiting yourself might often limit the success of your users. Hence why I'd think Facebook/Twitter Connect, OpenID, or Windows Live Login are all more suitable as a default feature over using plugins, but I understand absolutely why it's likely going to be a plugin over a default feature.