Start with free or paid forum software?

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Most of Woltlab's code is actually opensource. The WCF framework in fact usable as is for a website and your own addons even if you dont purchase Woltlab's official apps.

MagicalAzareal

Magical Developer
Most of Woltlab's code is actually opensource. The WCF framework in fact usable as is for a website and your own addons even if you dont purchase Woltlab's official apps.
That is very interesting, good to see.

I see a lot of XML. Huh, fascinating. I'll have to pore through that later.

ips_doug

Aspirant
If you are going to start a project (either for fun or serious) what forum software you will go with?

Will it be a free forum software to get started and paid or will it be Paid when starting?

Now i have started with free and if i am really serious or see a good growth i will move to paid forum software
I started a project a few months ago and I used Smf for it. The project went dead btw. I started a new one a couple of weeks ago using Smf again and it is going good so far. If it keeps growing, I will switch to a paid forum in the near future, Ipb.

overcast

Adherent
Vanilla also has the open source version. So for anyone who likes simple easy to navigate forum, it can be one good choice.

Alex.

The Ancient Dragon
Free: Vanilla

Paid: XF

I have difficulty recommending either vBulletin or IP.Board these days, and the latter was my favorite for nearly a decade.

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
You're not the only one feeling similarly. Unless you're running a board that once depended on niche features from oldschool scripts, modern software is a more interesting option for forums to focus on communication and purge distractions. Boards look pretty much the same on small mobile displays, so its difficult justifying a pricetag for an experience you're not exploiting optimally as a webmaster.

haqzore

Devotee
Free: Vanilla

Paid: XF

I have difficulty recommending either vBulletin or IP.Board these days, and the latter was my favorite for nearly a decade.
What changed with IP.B to remove it from being your "fav for a decade"?

You're not the only one feeling similarly. Unless you're running a board that once depended on niche features from oldschool scripts, modern software is a more interesting option for forums to focus on communication and purge distractions. Boards look pretty much the same on small mobile displays, so its difficult justifying a pricetag for an experience you're not exploiting optimally as a webmaster.
You agree with "having difficulty recommending the latter" - which was Invision Community?

Also curious on your thoughts? You also mention "modern software"... It's my personal opinion that Invision Community has done more to push what a forum script can do than anybody, ESPECIALLY with the 4.x line.

Just curious is all.