Staff: Creating a Moderator Manual

famade

Neophyte
hey, thanks for the info, Actually, this is very helpful for me to modertate my own forums.....thanks for sharing great thing here,....hope I will get more related posts here....

MikeOO17

Enthusiast
I quote. I'm writing right now my own.

LoL... Your name isn't Yoda by any chance, is it? :unhunh:

I agree though. A forum, even a small one, needs to have an idea of what they want to be and how they intend to get there.

rider900

Aspirant
Thanks for sharing this, we've only got 1 moderator at the moment but I'll be sure to let him know about this :)

Target_Practice

Adherent
Very nice, Kathy - well written and thought out.

However, as something of a career moderator (I'm trying admin for the first time!), I'd like to point out that a truly good moderator shouldn't need a manual - if nothing else, they should have a good 'sense' of what to do in most situations.
Of course, each site's unique foibles and quirks will need a little explaining, but I'd expect a good moderator to know the difference between posting plenty and just spamming for the sake of it, for example. I'd certainly expect them not to indulge in it!
The important thing when appointing anyone to represent you and your board (because let's face it, that's what your staff are doing) is to trust them. When my current project finally gets going and (fingers crossed!) reaches the size where myself and my partner in crime can't handle it alone, I will only give moderator access to someone who I have observed on the forums for long enough to trust that they are capable of doing the job.

Occasionally, there won't be anyone fitting that description, which can be a problem. However, I'd maintain that you'll suffer fewer headaches from leaving a potentially troublesome post up for a few hours while you attend to 'real life' than you would from appointing an unsuitable moderator.

Rules are all well and good (and please don't get me wrong, as rules go, the suggestions in this thread are fantastic), but even if you have the best rules in the world, it doesn't guarantee that your team will follow them.

Kebsy

Aspirant
Thank you! This was very helpful as we're rewriting our Moderator Criteria/Contract!

nat9655

Enthusiast
I have gave the link for the thread to my Forum Manager & asked him to create a Guide (well, we call it that :D). He likes the idea :)

bahgheera

Aspirant
Thank you Kathy, thanks a lot. I've been looking for exactly something like this for a week now. I am not as expressive or thoughtful as I want to be when trying to write something like this, so this should help me compile my own mod manual without seeming scatter-brained, heh heh.

Thanks again!

Laters...

EDIT: Also thanks to those of you who shared your own mod manuals and thoughts on the subject, I'll be incorporating ideas from those as well.

jkosmin

Neophyte
Kathy, I've been working on putting a Moderators Guidebook together myself lately, and find it a bit daunting to codify everything in a succinct document. Thanks for the post -- this is a great starting point for me!