Staff: Being A Moderator

Mam

Aspirant
Mam submitted a new Article:

Staff: Being A Moderator

Becoming a moderator is relatively easy, depending on what type of forum you are interested in and what your background can add to that forum. Being an effective moderator is a bit trickier. Anyone can become a moderator on the internet, after all there are more than enough forums to choose from. But once you are chosen, how do you proceed? Do you suddenly become a maniac with a delete button showing your personal distaste for members you may not care for? It’s not a power play, if that’s what you are looking for, your position will not be available to you very long.

So what is a moderator’s main purpose? Your main purpose is to support the forum you are associated with and quietly enforce the rules without turning into the Internet Police. Understand that whatever actions you take; be it deleting a post, or editing out unacceptable language, someone, somewhere is not going to like it. After all, do you like being censored?

Being consistent is the key to a good moderator. Learning to place your own likes and dislikes in the deep freeze while you are on the board, will help you find the flames easier. You may not like a certain member, but guess what? That member probably doesn’t like you either. Engaging in a power play, singling out this certain member will eventually demean you in the eyes of the others on the team and on the boards. Your job is to keep the forums running smooth and even though you aren’t getting paid for your time, you need to show up for work on a regular basis, otherwise others will have to pick up your slack, creating more work for them.

Being a moderator is a thankless job. You even give up your membership to a certain extent, once that decision is made to come on board with the Admin team. It doesn’t matter if you are the most popular member on the planet; once you cross over to that Mod Forum the other members place you on a different level than before when you were one of “them.” It’s sad, but that is just how it works out.

Your age will factor in as well, depending on which forum you are associated with. Most forum webmasters want their moderators to act maturely and use common sense, courtesy and diplomacy, which is not easy to do in some cases. Especially when that poster who makes you groan inwardly posts another inane thread about how “Tofu matters!”

Each forum comes with two separate rules of conduct, one for members, and one for moderators. You want to be sure you can follow these rules and that you...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

White Sox

Participant
Very good article. Ive been waiting for someone to write an article like this for awhile.

windsaiyen

Aspirant
Yes very good indeed. I'm showing My Moderators on my site and some seem to be following it very well. I emphazised its only like a Guidline and everything does not have to be perfectly suited.

Edit: When I used this I forgot to add a copy right for you. Sorry about that. I am adding that and i just wanted to know, if you do not wish for me to display it on my site , then I will take it off imidiatly (sp?)

Last edited:
I want to be a moderator on this forum, i'll be happy to help the forums

I'll be good as a moderator, cause i'm new here so i love being a moderator so where do i become one?

Nbleven

Think Different.
Well, I wrote an article like that expect it went in the "Choose the right forum team" section.

FireLighter

Enthusiast
This is a great article! I really enjoyed reading it. It really gave me tips about my moderating position, and it also gave me a lot of different ideas that I would love to use on my board (especially the different teams you have).

Great job!
-Josh

Mephisto

Pharaoh
Excelent article :)

May I add something to this:

It doesn’t matter if you are the most popular member on the planet; once you cross over to that Mod Forum the other members place you on a different level than before when you were one of “them.” It’s sad, but that is just how it works out.

Some members forget theres a line between friendship and business, then when one of their "buddies" is promoted to moderator, they all start to take over the "new guy" with all insane requests of "pin this topic please" "delete this" and the worst "ban this guy, is anoying". I've found is an important issue to deal with when you get a new moderator in your staff, speciall if he/she is popular among the forum.

Thank you.

Aitch

The Mix (formerly YouthNet)
Their duties would be to take over some of the basic moderator’s duties, including a Mentor Team to welcome new members,

I'd be interested to know more about this. I've attempted to set something like this up - but it's hard to know how effective it is, and it can be hard to motivate the team. How does yours work? Does anyone else have this?

PajaroLoco

Aspirant
GREAT COMMENTS you guys, hey i just moved to a brand new website, and brought a few of the old moderators, ...

In the old site, the moderators were just there like ornaments they didnt interact...

I made a terrible mistake, as administrator to let them just sit there. I know is all voluntary, but on the new board there is 10 mods, but only five are active, the other just sit there and dont post nor come by the board.

I have sent them requests to be a little bit more active, but they ignore my requests, yet i see them active on different boards. Even the other five are asking what's up with them, since the new board one has ONE post, and has not visited the site since DEC 26.

What should I do?

Thanks!!

Raj

Adherent
?Get new moderators and tell them what you expect right from the start?

bbalegere

Neophyte
Nice article.
I definetely found it useful.
I am a mod at 2 forums.SO thats gonna help me.

bobmac

Neophyte
Clean house!

GREAT COMMENTS you guys, hey i just moved to a brand new website, and brought a few of the old moderators, ...

In the old site, the moderators were just there like ornaments they didnt interact...

I made a terrible mistake, as administrator to let them just sit there. I know is all voluntary, but on the new board there is 10 mods, but only five are active, the other just sit there and dont post nor come by the board.

I have sent them requests to be a little bit more active, but they ignore my requests, yet i see them active on different boards. Even the other five are asking what's up with them, since the new board one has ONE post, and has not visited the site since DEC 26.

What should I do?

Thanks!!

If there are 10 mods and only 5 are bothering to assist, they probably aren't interested in helping out. In my opinion, it would be prudent to eliminate their positions and locate some other responsible parties to participate.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
Bobmac.

pebbleworm

Aspirant
@ Mam

Inspiring. I'm a mod at some forum and I love my job. But sometimes, it gets to the point of wanting to meet some jerk member in a dark alley. :D

scotpgot

Aspirant
Nice article. Much appreciated.

We also have a rule that "We don't mod mods." This means basically that if one Mod makes a decision (editing a post, moving a thread, locking a thread, etc.), another mod doesn't contradict that decision (moving the thread a second time or unlocking). If there is a disagreement, it is discussed in admin, then the ORIGINAL mod moves it back or unlocks it (or whatever).