Square Space

Joe.

Adherent
Seems like every podcast I listen to has an ad for Square Space. An ad for them coming through my earbuds right now as I'm typing this... So why not make a topic about it? :p

Anyone ever used them to make a website?
Are they any good?

Jake

Developer
From my understanding you get very little control over your site it's just a template with your content on it, but I may be wrong.

Joe.

Adherent
From my understanding you get very little control over your site it's just a template with your content on it, but I may be wrong.
That's the impression I get too from hearing these podcast'ers talk about them all the time. They boast "no coding required! If you can attach an image to an email, you can create a website" type of jargon. I've heard them mention that there is a way to edit to code directly too if want.

It's weird I never run into any sites "Powered by SquareSpace" out there in my online adventures. There must be successful if they can afford to advertise so much. *shrugs*

Topher

Neophyte
Well (to my knowledge) you are able to remove the "powered by" footer text if you would like to. They say you can leave it there if you would like but you are able to remove it.

You can remove the default "Powered by Squarespace" Text Learn more about blocks.">Block from your site using the Learn more about footers.">footer editor. This text is optional and you’re welcome to remove it and replace it with other content.

Joe.

Adherent
This item has been removed and is no longer available.

CrazyTech

Enthusiast
Square Space, Wix, etc are all alike.

A talented designer can create a decent website, but you lack the control of having your own CMS and the site will ultimately look like other sites. Where these guys make their money is the horde of small business types out there that see the price tag and jump at it to DIY it. A lot of sites we deal with are initially designed on a platform like this, but they're jumping to Wordpress or something else to improve features, improve SEO, or just get away from the cookie-cutter look that no longer works for them.

One of the things - and I don't know this about Square Space in particular - that you will discover about frequently mentioned hosts and platforms is that their affiliate programs generally pay well. People watching YouTube videos, for instance, are DIY'ers in many cases, and represent the perfect target market for someone who plans to slap up a cost-efficient website quickly.

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
Just another template site that is well setup, great advertising and marketing department and customer service...

Nabix

Square Space, Wix, etc. they are all geared towards people will little to no web design or server admin experience. So basically its filled full of pre-teens and the older generation who own businesses and need a website. lol Can't tell you how many times I would go door-to-door (as a freelance we designer) asking small business for work, and they would mention they already have a website "that's great" (because they 'designed' it). All later take a look and its absolutely disgusting... Good times :)