Sovrn vs. Digital Throttle (based on CPM) Which would you choose?

shibby2

Participant
Hi, I've recently started using Sovrn and Digital Throttle for a short period. I'm averaging a CPM of $0.27 with Sovrn, and $0.17 with Digital Throttle.

Should I just stick with Sovrn since it's higher? Anything else I should be looking for when choosing a backfill ad supplier to Adsense?

Thanks!

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
I'd give them each at least a month of A/B testing, to try to sell impressions. Then go with whichever is higher.

shibby2

Participant
Yea, I've given them each about 2 weeks, and that has been the average eCPM for each.

shibby2

Participant
Digital Throttle says I should use 'passbacks' and put their ad tags in front of Adsense. It gives them a minimum to shoot for, and if they can't hit it, the impressions would go to Adsense.

Does this sound right? I'm new to all this, have always only used Adsense.

JQP

Dork
I've never used Digital Throttle but Sovrn seems to be doing better for me as a second tier after Adsense. I'd suggest using the loser of your A/B test as a third level to pick up the scraps. I have Sovrn's floor set very low but they're still only filling 70% or 80%. Even a check every few months from your third tier is better than nothing. And it allows you to push your price up a little on your second level if you want to do that.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
In my opinion, Digital Throttle has really gone downhill over the last year. I have used them for a number of years and have just removed them from all my sites.

JQP

Dork
Same with Sovrn. I don't know what the cause was but some of their ads were sucking up so much CPU power they were freezing my pages. And since you can't block individual ads, the only option is to set your floor price ungodly high or remove them. I don't know if it's because it's January or what, but for right now I've removed them.

overcast

Adherent
First time heard of Digital Throttle. What are their requirements for accepting the site?

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
I don't recall the traffic requirements offhand, but it must be an automotive sector based site. I tried them years ago and found more often than not their inventory wasn't well sold, and they were serving their own Adsense account as backfill.

TheChiro

Devotee
CPMs only matter if you combine that with the fill rate. Either case, you should probably look into running a waterfall (using pass backs) to maximize earnings.