Something Awful considering switch to XF

TrixieTang

Politically Incorrect
Looks like Lowtax is currently considering moving Something Awful from a heavily hacked vB2 over to XF.

Would this be the biggest vB (or anything) to XF conversion so far if it happened?

Lowtax said:
I'm currently in contact and talking with the people from Xenforo about migrating to their forum software package. Working on the details such as customization, costs, archives, and ramifications of moving now vs when they release v2.0. The cost of importing / migrating all the archived posts is gonna be a real bitch, so here's hoping we can work out a deal!

Sincerely,

Rich "Kyanka" Kyanka

https://forums.somethingawful.com/announcement.php?forumid=1

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Wow. It'd be a HUGE move no doubt about it. "As you may or may not know, we're currently in the process of moving off this old-rear end rickety ****barge known as vB and migrating to a BRAND NEW PACKAGE OF WONDERFUL FORUM SOFTWARE THAT OFFERS FEATURES YOU WOULD'VE NEVER BELIEVED WERE POSSIBLE BACK IN 2002 OR 172 FOR THAT MATTER!" is the comment that says it all. IMO - it would be a great move for them. I mean ... vBulletin 2 in comparison to the functionality of XF 1.5 ... "About time?!" is the comment that comes to my mind anyway... And yeah ... They've millions and millions of posts. Probably one (if not THE one) of the largest vB forums to migrate to Xenforo.

I'd love the opportunity to do their migration actually. Huge job - but would definitely be worth the huge amount of effort, planning and creativity that goes into completing a flawless migration anyway... if only to receive positive feedback from their HAYUGE memberbase. Wow. Exciting.

J.

marcgo15

Adherent
Wow that's going to be a huge project moving that over for sure, but I'm sure well worth it in the end.

Somniloquent

Enthusiast
for all the brave Goon Citizens who volunteer to take yet another hit in their wallet for the sake of a dumb outdated gay dead forum.

4,347 registered users logged in.
197,738 users total.
2,628,812 total threads.
63,237,156 total posts.
3,358,965 archived threads.
177,503,398 archived posts.

I wish my forum could be as dead as theirs.

HallofFamer

Habitué
Something Awful's current forum was stuck with VB2, yes VB2. This means that they aint even up to date with VB3/4, and that they most likely have made too much modification for their forums to upgrade any further. A move to Xenforo will definitely require them to redo all the modifications they have made years ago. Now you see the magnitude of this move if it happens, I would say its unprecedented.

I hope they are not rushing into anything.

:D

Maybe they will rush into VB5, it will make all their competitors very happy.

DaiTengu

That Sysadmin Guy
I may or may not have thrown :tenbux:x10 at lowtax for this. I've been an SA member since 2000 or so.

I'm still waiting for my fscking spaceship drawing.

Hogarth

Aspirant
Why is it SA never upgraded to at least vB3? Was it mainly a matter of all of their customizations they had running on the forum?

HallofFamer

Habitué
Why is it SA never upgraded to at least vB3? Was it mainly a matter of all of their customizations they had running on the forum?

Yeah supposedly, but dont understand why they are considering switching to XF if their customizations were too much for even upgrading from VB2 to VB3.

Hogarth

Aspirant
Yeah supposedly, but dont understand why they are considering switching to XF if their customizations were too much for even upgrading from VB2 to VB3.

That's what really threw me off. If they couldn't really even manage a version upgrade I can't even imagine how a full software conversion over a decade later will go. Maybe the lack of updating just came from some sort of apathy that they're finally getting passed.

Paul M

Limeade Addict
I would think that moving to vB3 would probably be easyiest from a technical POV.
Moving to anything else would be somewhat more difficult. Its going to be a massive undertaking, whatever they decide.