Some MyBB 2.0 prototypes to be revealed

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
You know in some of the screenshots I haven't seen what the forum statistics looks like yet. Do you have any screenshots of that yet?

We haven't worked much on the statistics yet, but we will be releasing more images and technical details as time passes :)

I like what I see so far :)! Any chance we can get a postbit and profile shot?

Thanks! As above, we will be releasing more details on a regular basis, including the postbit/showthread and profiles.

Phillip

The Priest
We haven't worked much on the statistics yet, but we will be releasing more images and technical details as time passes :)

Sounds good. Meaning you guys will be working out any bugs with it. Statistics usually looks good either way they worked, to the side or under the forums or on top of the forums look good at a point.

So either way, hope there's more to go on 2.0 statistics.

Phillip

The Priest
Postbit/showthread would be good ones to see next. A look at the Control Panel might also be nice.

I have to agree with that, Control Panel would be a nice look to see what is in store for everyone who runs MyBB forums. Postbit and showthread as well.

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
Sounds good. Meaning you guys will be working out any bugs with it. Statistics usually looks good either way they worked, to the side or under the forums or on top of the forums look good at a point.

So either way, hope there's more to go on 2.0 statistics.

The beauty of the system we're using is you can place the statistics wherever you want. Want them above the forum list? Don't know why, but you can. Sidebar? Yup. You can render widgets very easily using a single template tag.

Postbit/showthread would be good ones to see next. A look at the Control Panel might also be nice.

Thanks, we'll bear that in mind :) I can't say when the next dump of previews will be, but we'll be posting them here, on twitter and on Facebook. We'll likely do a blog post with a whole dump of everything at some point too.

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
The beauty of the system we're using is you can place the statistics wherever you want. Want them above the forum list? Don't know why, but you can. Sidebar? Yup. You can render widgets very easily using a single template tag.
Is the widget system specific to the index or is it everywhere in the software?

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
Is the widget system specific to the index or is it everywhere in the software?

Everywhere in the software :) It operates using a template tag. There isn't a GUI to manage widget locations (at the minute, not sure if there will ever be). You render widgets like this:

Code:
{{ widget_render('whos_online') }}

It's still very rough and definitely a work in progress though.

Phillip

The Priest

Above the forum list is something new is why I asked about it. :p So it will be a easier to customize with 2.0? Widget render is going to be a good little tool for everyone.

Azareal

The AtomBB Overlord
Everywhere in the software :) It operates using a template tag. There isn't a GUI to manage widget locations (at the minute, not sure if there will ever be). You render widgets like this:

Code:
{{ widget_render('whos_online') }}
I prefer and generally use the GUI approach, as it not only lowers the barrier to entry (might or might not be bad depending on who the target audience is), and it makes it less likely that the templates will break between versions.

It's good to see that MyBB is adopting a widget system though. As there's no GUI, what if you want to disable Who's Online.. Do you have to go into the templates and comment that out? Or is there a GUI for that, but not for placing the widgets?

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
At the minute there is no GUI for managing widgets at all. The only way to remove it or add one right now is to edit templates. There is a high chance this will change though as I agree it isn't the best approach. We just need to work out the best way of handling it :)

Tiernan

Enthusiast
I am interested in the notifications system. Will it be like Xenforo's: instant without refreshing?

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
I am interested in the notifications system. Will it be like Xenforo's: instant without refreshing?

Probably, but it may be turned off by default (with a setting to enable it). We need to do a lot of load testing and such to make sure performance isn't affected.

Oh this looks really nice. I've never been a fan of the 1.6 look and feel but I have to say 2.0 is looking rather nice to me!

Tiernan

Enthusiast
Probably, but it may be turned off by default (with a setting to enable it). We need to do a lot of load testing and such to make sure performance isn't affected.
I think this is brilliant. :)

Sorry if I've missed this question somewhere else, and I am aware this is just a prototype (so I'm not expecting it anytime soon). But do you have a time frame from when you hope the betas to be released and what not?

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
We have no timeframe we're willing to share at the minute I'm afraid, but keep your eyes peeled for updates and news :)

euantor

MyBB Lead Developer
Bootstrap?

Nope, everything's being written from scratch. Some inspiration is drawn from third party products such as Bootstrap and the Windows Metro interface (with the minimal use of colours and gradients). The primary focus is on the content, so we're trying to keep the design minimal.