Software: vBulletin Optimization: Server Side & Admin Side

AlienSector

BBSZenDex Admin
AlienSector submitted a new Article:

Software: vBulletin Optimization: Server Side & Admin Side

Optimizing vBulletin: Server Side & Admin Side

With vBulletin as your software of choice and your community thriving, your well on your way to running a successful community. With a growing community, there are growing needs and optimizing your community for the best possible performance will ensure your visitors keep coming back for more. If a member visits a community that is slow to load and overloaded with heavy graphics, you can bet they aren't going to stick around for long. As the Administrator, we have to keep in mind not everyone is on Cable/DSL connections, some are still using 56k and lower connections and we can't disclude them!

I will state this is not a short article ahead of time. When writing the article, being short & quick was not the intent, reviewing the options for better community optimization however, was. This article goes through various steps from Optimization from the Admin CP, Style & Coding Optimization as well as Server Optimization.

While this certainly does not cover every aspect, it does cover a great deal of what community owners can do to aid in their optimization efforts. These options are all optional, of course and not all of them may be of use to everyone, though the main purpose is to shave off as much of the load time as possible. As mentioned later in the article, shaving off 1-2 sections could save you 100-200 visitors.

Step One: Optimization from the Admin Control Panel

When it comes to optimizing vBulletin for the best performance, the Administrator's Control Panel is the place to be. From the ACP, you can control 95% of what is needed to aid in the optimization of your community; and you thought it was just for user & style management!

» Enable GZIP - Compress & Save

So, let's dive right in and start with the optimization, first we're going to start with the powerful GZIP compression option. GZIP allows us to compress the output of each page that is displayed to visitors and members and shave away the bandwidth used each month. Enabling GZIP does slightly load the server as it has to compress the pages being displayed, though when correctly set to level 1 compression, the load is hardly noticable while the benifits are obvious.

To enable GZIP compression or to modify its current setting, please login to the Admin CP and then selection the following options. You will need to set the first...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

dune

Habitué
I mentioned Turke MMCache to my brother (my system admin) when I read this article and his reply was "dude, I put that on the site like three years ago"... ;)

AlienSector

BBSZenDex Admin
I seem to have missed this reply :).

Turk MMCache is a bit older and development, last I recall, has stopped so it is better to use another acceletator now. I believe another was mentioned around here on TAZ so I will have to update the article time permits.