Software: Setting up and Using "Promotions"

floris

Habitué
vB Floris submitted a new Article:

Software: Setting up and Using "Promotions"

[Indepth] Feature Experience: Setting up and Using "Promotions"

We bring you an indepth feature experience shared by Peterska2, a vBulletin.nl regular and vBulletin fan. Her insight: As there are a lot of questions about how to set up promotions to enable priveledges like what is for example used on the site vbulletin.nl where you have to have one post before you can view attachments and 30 posts to download resources, I decided that a 'how to' post would be a great idea so here it is.

Please keep in mind that I have tried to make as little mistakes as possible while writing out my experience on how to set this up on my own site and sharing it with you guys, while using vBulletin.nl as example. If you find an error, please let me know!

Enjoy!

Author: Peterska2
In assignment of vBulletin.nl, thread updated and modified by floris

So starting at the beginning here are the instructions. These should be simple enough so that even a new user of vBulletin can follow them and get it set up easily enough.

Login as administrator into the Admin Control Panel (admincp/).

Go down to the Usergroups section and select to 'add a new usergroup' (only if you haven't created one already). Call this Usergroup something like FULL MEMBERS.

Set up the new usergroup with permissions based on that of the primairy members usergroup (id: 2) which allow access to all the same forums and also to be able to download attachments and have avatars etc as you desire.

Once you have saved the usergroup, go into the Promotions system.

Click on 'Add New Promotion'

The top Usergroup Box needs to be the one that they are starting off from. This will be REGISTERED MEMBERS unless you have changed this to something else. It is usergroup id: 2.

In the reputation box I would set this to your default reputation level for new users or 0, whichever you prefer.

Days registered can be left blank (or set to 1) and for number of posts put the number that you want them to have to make before they can download in there. (On vBulletin.nl this is set to 1 post for global site downloads and 30 posts for resource access downloads.)

In promotion strategy set this to POSTS and Promotion Type leave as Primary Usergroup.

Then in the bottom box select the new usergroup that you created. This will be the one that we called FULL MEMBERS

Save it.

Now go into 'Usergroup...

Read more about this article here...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lugh

Habitué
Very useful Floris! I hadn't explored Promotions yet, but had thought they were related to advertising my board :hopeless:

Now I get it :)

tammikuu

vBulletin User
I had a looksee recently about Promotions, and we are in the process of figuring out the specifics at our board.

When the time for the actual setting up will come, I will surely use this article as a back-up on how to set it up, thank you very much :D

tammikuu

vBulletin User
Which would you guys recommend, primary or secondary usergroup promotion systems? (I am thinking about dividing registered members into 3 or 4 levels and adjusting their priviliges accordingly)

Haakon

Aspirant
I just want to drop a note. If you want to control forum permissions through the promotions system, you need to use primary usergroup. I think this is wrong, but this is how the logic falls at the moment. Excluding one group from a forum means that the user is excluded even though he/she is a member of other usergroups.

Kall

Devotee
Are you running 3.0.3?

The permissions system seems to work more correctly there.

I have a Contributing members forum. Normal members are unable to see it, but if I add 'Contributor' as a secondary usergroup, they have access to the hidden forum.

floris

Habitué
It is always smart to upgrade to the latest version :)