SocialEngine or Wordpress - Help me decide which one

zoldos

Lord Malleus
So far, from what I can see, SocialEngine seems to be the best social network script, but what I have also discovered is that SE is an CMS, So I wonder why I would choose SocialEngine over WP?...I mean, I am not an expert, but I think the claim that WP may not be good for a social community because it is a CMS completely falls off when I see SE... later, everything else, number of developers, functions, price..

Honestly what do you think
I've used both extensively. SE is bloated, slow, and too expensive. WP is decent, but has too many plugins/templates and features and takes awhile to learn and setup. For one of my sites, I use Sngine. It's a Facebook style networking script far superior to anything I've used before and much cheaper!

Pixel Princess

Enthusiast
Dropping by to eat crow. :Peek: My Social Engine build was difficult; lots of hurdles and challenges. Overall, Social Engine is a good platform, however, as most of us have learned the hard way plugins can be your undoing. My plugins by SNS have done just that. SNS did an excellent job on modifying a plugin to meet a vision I had, however, the whole experience on the other plugin integrations and overall functionality has been unacceptable, to which I've addressed on numerous occasions. Would I use SE again, yes, only for this current website, because of the expense involved and under the most basic circumstances with an upgrade, as SE v6, is now fully loaded with features and no need to add plugins. Would I add any SNS plugins, that would be a "negative". Would I build another SE website, that would also be a "no".

I did renew my vBulletin license, did a fresh install of vB 5 Connect to create a niche website. The vBulletin is functioning very well. I know a lot of you have walked away from vBulletin, me too for a long time, but I didn't have anything to lose to develop something simple. Aside from that, I've had some helpful direction and feedback on xenForo, FTL-thanks for all of your tips, and also from my host, Bryzar, and not without thanks to all of you that post your experiences daily on TAZ. I will be excited to develop my first xF website sometime soon. I do love the snap of the pages, all of the included features and the whole experience of a xF website.

Reactions: FTL

Pixel Princess

Enthusiast
I find myself intrigued by what Social Engine might offer.
The new SE v6 is really nice with all the feature's built in that you would want for social networking. I'm also happy to hear SE is adding one more feature within the platform that I have been begging for. I'm presently in the process of the upgrading logistics. My test staging has gone very well, according to my friend working on it, no issues at all. I'm fortunate to have an expert friend that has been such an asset in this transitional development. I've been a bit frustrated and I should have added in my above post that there are amazing third party developers and some have strengths in one area rather then another. What I've learned most is to not do the decorating (i.e. add all the plugins in the beginning) until you've moved in (i.e. work with the platform), walk around the rooms (i.e. work with the pages), determine what you need and listen to your member's feedback.

zoldos

Lord Malleus
I find myself intrigued by what Social Engine might offer.
I've used Social Engine extensively, and it's okay. But it's bloated, slow, and buggy. I've not tried v6, and I don't intend to. It's over priced. I paid $79 for a really nice, stable, and often updated networking suite. I get lifetime updates too.

Last edited:

Pixel Princess

Enthusiast
I've used Social Engine extensively, and it's okay. But it's bloated, slow, and buggy. I've not tried v6, and I don't intend to. It's over priced. I paid less than $150 for a really nice, stable, and often updated networking suite. I get lifetime updates too.

Same experience for me on the buggy part. :rolleyes: Would you mind sharing what you are using? I'm not opposed to making drastic changes before I get even more committed to SE and upgrading to v6. Right now, I'm just testing v6 in a dev site. and eliminated all the plugins.

Reactions: FTL

zoldos

Lord Malleus
Same experience for me on the buggy part. :rolleyes: Would you mind sharing what you are using? I'm not opposed to making drastic changes before I get even more committed to SE and upgrading to v6. Right now, I'm just testing v6 in a dev site. and eliminated all the plugins.
*edit: I actually paid only $79 for a full license (it's been awhile, I forgot :) ). You get the full, unencrypted source code, excellent support, and lifetime updates: https://www.sngine.com (this is NOT a referral link, I'm just providing information).

Pixel Princess

Enthusiast
*edit: I actually paid only $79 for a full license (it's been awhile, I forgot :) ). You get the full, unencrypted source code, excellent support, and lifetime updates: https://www.sngine.com (this is NOT a referral link, I'm just providing information).

I've seen this platform as I've been searching! I'll take a better look now, thank you, Zoldos!

Defiant America

Aspirant
I've used Social Engine extensively, and it's okay. But it's bloated, slow, and buggy. I've not tried v6, and I don't intend to. It's over priced. I paid $79 for a really nice, stable, and often updated networking suite. I get lifetime updates too.
I use sngine, it's pretty good. Their tech support is great. It has a good scraper and embeds just about anything far better than any other script I have seen. They use an open source embed library here: https://github.com/oscarotero/Embed They are about to relase native apps for it. It has webview apps now, but it works great on browser on mobile. It does not have an invite feature for groups, it allows users to add others to groups, so I made a custom group invite for my site.

zoldos

Lord Malleus
I use sngine, it's pretty good. Their tech support is great. It has a good scraper and embeds just about anything far better than any other script I have seen. They use an open source embed library here: https://github.com/oscarotero/Embed They are about to relase native apps for it. It has webview apps now, but it works great on browser on mobile. It does not have an invite feature for groups, it allows users to add others to groups, so I made a custom group invite for my site.
Yup. That's what I use. It's awesome! I've customized it quite a bit! lol

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Currently test-driving an Sngine instance now. I must say I'm not thrilled with how long the ACP sidebar is. It doesn't feel particularly organised to me yet.

zoldos

Lord Malleus
Currently test-driving an Sngine instance now. I must say I'm not thrilled with how long the ACP sidebar is. It doesn't feel particularly organised to me yet.
I agree. I still have issues finding/adjusting some specific settings. lol But overall, I think it's a superb script! Fast, light weight, and often updated.

Kaelon

Adherent
I will say that I love the cleanliness of Sngine. It's clearly meant to be the streamlined Facebook clone for anyone wanting to run their own Facebook clone.

But I'm struggling to imagine a use case for this technology in building a niche community. Wouldn't people just use Facebook instead? Or, like forums, can we repurpose Sngine to service specific use cases?

zoldos

Lord Malleus
I will say that I love the cleanliness of Sngine. It's clearly meant to be the streamlined Facebook clone for anyone wanting to run their own Facebook clone.

But I'm struggling to imagine a use case for this technology in building a niche community. Wouldn't people just use Facebook instead? Or, like forums, can we repurpose Sngine to service specific use cases?
I use it for an adult site and my members (169 now) love it! Plus I've extensively modded the templates (after making a copy from the default). :D

Kaelon

Adherent
I use it for an adult site and my members (169 now) love it! Plus I've extensively modded the templates (after making a copy from the default). :D

Nice! So rather than a specialized user experience, you've basically created an Adult-rated Facebook clone? You should share more about it! How does the experience differ?

zoldos

Lord Malleus
Nice! So rather than a specialized user experience, you've basically created an Adult-rated Facebook clone? You should share more about it! How does the experience differ?
Yup. It's basically fantasy adult networking. Membership is invite only though as I've had issues with trolls. :(