SocialEngine or Wordpress - Help me decide which one

NDM

Participant
So far, from what I can see, SocialEngine seems to be the best social network script, but what I have also discovered is that SE is an CMS, So I wonder why I would choose SocialEngine over WP?...I mean, I am not an expert, but I think the claim that WP may not be good for a social community because it is a CMS completely falls off when I see SE... later, everything else, number of developers, functions, price..

Honestly what do you think ?

Thanks

Nabix

NDM

Technically any software script you choose to operate a website with content is considered a CMS (content management software). Here is something to think about when making your decision. Pick a script based on the features at its core. If your goal is to operate a social website, and the other is a well-supported script for the purpose, use that script. WP is okay, but with the amount of 3rd party plugins you need to make a real website from it, IMO it's not worth the time. Almost always, when I build a site, I use a script for the intended purpose then develop it to my needs.

If you are hell-bent on considering WP, check out WoWonder...

NDM

Participant
NDM

Technically any software script you choose to operate a website with content is considered a CMS (content management software). Here is something to think about when making your decision. Pick a script based on the features at its core. If your goal is to operate a social website, and the other is a well-supported script for the purpose, use that script. WP is okay, but with the amount of 3rd party plugins you need to make a real website from it, IMO it's not worth the time. Almost always, when I build a site, I use a script for the intended purpose then develop it to my needs.

....WoWonder..It is very good, and it has been online for some time, but in my case it is ruled out mainly because it is a closed community. Thanks for you reply

Nabix

To my knowledge that can be changed in the backend settings. I would recommend at least taking a look through the social scripts in CodeCanyon. You will find a lot of interesting software there.

Alpha1

Administrator
NDM

Are any big boards running WoWonder? Does it scale well?

One major hurdle I have found with WordPress based solutions is that so far I have not found a solution with a robust groups and permissions system.

NDM

Participant
Are any big boards running WoWonder? Does it scale well?

One major hurdle I have found with WordPress based solutions is that so far I have not found a solution with a robust groups and permissions system.

The problem with WoWonder is core php and still use Javascript 3.1(2015!!) and bootstrap 3.3..so I think there may be a lot of problems for all that. The only reason I think they did it in php core, is to try to avoid instructions from other developers. in my opinion, a project like this is not reliable.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
The (vast) bulk of WordPress is also core PHP and not third party libraries. If “core PHP” is a barrier for here, so too for WordPress.

As for JS 3.1 to me that just means they’re not loading vast libraries that are slow and unwieldy.

mbordelon

Aspirant
If what you are looking for is a social network script, I would suggest Sngine. If you want to go the route of Wordpress, I really like the combination of Buddypress with a great theme like Vikinger that brings loads of great features with it.

Douzeper

Aspirant
Social Engine is a mess, I have just uninstalled the whole thing. It's buggy, the forum plugin is rubbish. There are soo many errors and bits missing that it makes it unusable. Fine if you wish for a facebook type newsfeed, thats about it, and even that has very limited abilities, stay clear it has just cost me a lot of time, money and effort!
DO NOT believe their hype about free apps, they don't exist in any usable form.

Kyrie

Habitué
I can actually talk about this as I've ran a mildly successful project using these types of scripts.

PHPFox & Social Engine are essentially the same. They are powerful out of the box but scale awful, and pretty hefty server requirements. They also, as mentioned, a total mess. You must be willing to learn their entire code and add in your own addons to fix things or add certain requirements if you need. Chances are they aren't going to come exactly what you want.

That being said, they are a pretty cool choice if you want a facebook-like social networking website. If I had to pick between these PHPFox wins and you can use their cloud version which is pretty cool.

Sngine is also a really nice out of the back option but it's major flaw is that it's pretty difficult to theme (for me) and again, what you get is what you get and it's hard to flex it to add simple options you may want.

BuddyPress is the best out of all of these but it is NOT an out-of-the-box option. My last project to use it had various themes and plugins, and I had to hire someone to write a permission plugin because of the issues presented in this thread. It's a lot of work but I think if you have the time and money you can put out good results. Also IMO WP scales the most out of all of these. WordPress can be powerful or really bad, depending how you use it.

The other thing to consider is to figure out why you're wanting a social network over a standard forum. Most features can be added onto boards and it'll come along with easier themeing and easier to set-up permissions.

TLDR: WordPress is best, but not out of the box. The others are ok for what they are.

gConverter

Participant
So far, from what I can see, SocialEngine seems to be the best social network script, but what I have also discovered is that SE is an CMS, So I wonder why I would choose SocialEngine over WP?...I mean, I am not an expert, but I think the claim that WP may not be good for a social community because it is a CMS completely falls off when I see SE... later, everything else, number of developers, functions, price..

WordPress is good for any kind of website. You can build a social network website with a Social Network theme based on BuddyPress. All these are one clink installation, and you'll spend maximum a few tens of dollars. This kind of website is very easy to manage and extend. All Themes and Plugins will be updated very easy by clicking the update button when it is available. You can extend your website with dozens of thousands plugins and tons of more...
I don't see any reason to choose SE over the WordPress. Even more, you can add forum in your WordPress website whenever you want for $0. WordPress has professional forum plugins with outstanding design and features: https://wordpress.org/plugins/search/forum/

Tiffany Bello

Enthusiast
Hi NDM,
I went through the same process as you about a year ago. I'm coming from a background of only using vBulletin and Wordpress. I realized vBulletin would not be able to achieve my vision of a hybrid social networking website with vB5. After searching and evaluating, I narrowed down my choices to PHPFox and Social Engine too. I chose Social Engine without regret. To build my website, I used a few of SE addon's and used a lot of Social Networking Solutions plugins to complete the features I wanted to offer. Was it a tough development? Yes!! I spent all summer in development. It was tedious, detailed, frustrating but after each issue was resolved and my website was taking on it's charm, I stayed focused because I knew in the end it was going to be awesome. Social Engine customer service was outstanding. Social Networking Solutions was also outstanding. I did have issues in the SNS plugins with grammar and spelling that had to be corrected in the core. SNS, graciously, took care of every detailed issue I had. SNS has been developing my IOS and Android Mobile Apps too. My mobile app looks great, thanks to their detail and also making some custom changes that I requested. Enjoy your journey and Good Luck! T~

Hostboard

Participant
Hi NDM,
I went through the same process as you about a year ago. I'm coming from a background of only using vBulletin and Wordpress. I realized vBulletin would not be able to achieve my vision of a hybrid social networking website with vB5. After searching and evaluating, I narrowed down my choices to PHPFox and Social Engine too. I chose Social Engine without regret. To build my website, I used a few of SE addon's and used a lot of Social Networking Solutions plugins to complete the features I wanted to offer. Was it a tough development? Yes!! I spent all summer in development. It was tedious, detailed, frustrating but after each issue was resolved and my website was taking on it's charm, I stayed focused because I knew in the end it was going to be awesome. Social Engine customer service was outstanding. Social Networking Solutions was also outstanding. I did have issues in the SNS plugins with grammar and spelling that had to be corrected in the core. SNS, graciously, took care of every detailed issue I had. SNS has been developing my IOS and Android Mobile Apps too. My mobile app looks great, thanks to their detail and also making some custom changes that I requested. Enjoy your journey and Good Luck! T~

Does SNS allow for individual groups or clubs and create them?

Tiffany Bello

Enthusiast
Hi Hostboard,
If I'm understanding your question then..... you are looking for the ability for member's to create groups/clubs, with SNS plugins, then yes. Here is my websites group homepage. Friends Realm Groups. (I just launched my website, just one group that I created. The subject probably won't interest you, it's on skincare lol).

There are so many layers of settings and permissions you can allow or disallow for member groups in all of their plugins. It is impressive.

What I also like, if you wanted your member's to share their business and network, SNS has a very detailed Business Networking Directory, view how it looks if you want, at Friend's Realm Business Directory.

Here is the direct link to SNS plugin section.
Social Networking Solutions plugins.

SNS is created for Social Engine. It was a big leap for me to leave vBulletin. I left because my favorite plugin was not supported anymore, which was iTrader. I posted months ago on vB hoping someone would respond with a "Yes..can do", but so far, no response. I do have a Plan B though. ;)

Please feel free to reach out with any questions, happy to help! T~