So What's Musk Got Planned?

KimmiKat

Fan
Maybe he can offer 44bil to Matt to buy InvisionBoard. Then Matt can buy an island and retire! :D

zappaDPJ

A few questions about where his family got their money ought to do it.
There's a mid 70's film by Nicolas Roeg called 'The Man Who Fell to Earth' about a being who crash lands on Earth seeking to ship water back to his dying planet. The alien uses his advanced knowledge to create tremendous wealth and a space vehicle with the intention of shipping water back to his planet. Unfortunately he gets seduced by alcohol, television and sex so his grand plan ends in failure.

I've never been entirely convinced Elon Musk is human :ROFLMAO:

HallofFamer

Habitué
The "new" Twitter will not guarantee free speech, as most people think, but I do hope it promotes freer speech. At one point, they were banning doctors and academics for suggesting that masks don't work in stopping the spread of a virus. In fact, you weren't allowed to debate any topic related to the vaccine either. That was last year, this year, you get banned for being pro-Russia. That is outright crazy! Something needed to be done.

At some point we have to realize that true 'freedom of speech' is never attainable. Yeah in theory you have the 'freedom' to say anything you want, you aint going to end up in jail unless you threaten someone's life, but social networking sites also reserve their 'freedom' to block you from talking. The best you can do is just to not use Twitter, 'cause you already consent to give up your 'freedom of speech' to abide by Twitter's TOS if you wish to use its platform. Perhaps what we need is to have more social media instead of the oligopoly of FB, Twitter, etc dominating the W3C.

truthingtotruth

Aspirant
I feel compelled to make it very clear to the general public, Mr. Musk or any of his staff (if they view this thread) that I did not add any tags to this thread when I started the thread. I certainly did not add the tag "censorship".

I have asked via the conversation tool of this forum software for clarification from the admin members zappaDPJ, we_are_borg, and TLChris as to how that tag was placed there and will add this to my snail mail correspondence with Threadloom, but I again wish it to be very clear that tag of "censorship" was/is not of my doing.

Thank you for your understanding.

Blanco

Enthusiast
Forget Musk for a minute.

Look at what is happening around this event, around this big move - ask is it going to be beneficial for your your site and your SM efforts or not?

I think it may be.

I made two posts here https://www.theadminzone.com/threads/big-tech-and-net-control.154331/#post-1169596

I will continue on this more relevant thread if I need to.

The main feature is look at the before and after numbers.

Thread by @TyCardon on Thread Reader App

keep an eye on your own traffic.

BTW anyone know what suite or software they are using to track those numbers, I didn't notice in the tweet a source but I didn't look hard. Appreciate if anyone knows where those twitter stats are being pulled from and useful if others had access. I don't do twitter than much cause it's a PITA. ;)

Kaelon

Adherent
I don't think anyone cares about those tags other than you. Chill out.

truthingtotruth has a legitimate concern; someone labeled this thread "censorship" and he wants to know who and why, because it wasn't his intention to imply that Elon Musk's acquisition of Twitter would necessarily lead to censorship. There's no need to condescend.

Kaelon

Adherent
Look at what is happening around this event, around this big move - ask is it going to be beneficial for your your site and your SM efforts or not?

I think this is a solid question, and appreciate you for raising it.

My opinion is that I don't believe moves on social media will benefit forums, but they may benefit other emergent forms of social media. For example, the Fediverse and decentralized social media is having a moment (again) because a relatively small number of people are throwing a temper tantrum about possible putative moves on Twitter. Social media relies heavily upon the social network effect, and it requires critical mass. The Fediverse, and federated social communications networks, offer a very interesting alternative model but are also victim inevitably to the social effect: users prefer large instances, and they flock to large instances without realizing that it doesn't matter what instance you're on. It's a technical nuance that needs re-imagining in order to make federative social media more accessible.

TL;DR - Social Media is dominant today because users prefer short-form, image-and-video first communication with a strong networking effect. Twitter's moves won't benefit the dying forum medium, which relies upon long-form text-based communication. It is, in my view, more likely that users stick with proven large-scale social media platforms, or wait for another dominant player to displace them.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
truthingtotruth has a legitimate concern; someone labeled this thread "censorship" and he wants to know who and why, because it wasn't his intention to imply that Elon Musk's acquisition of Twitter would necessarily lead to censorship. There's no need to condescend.

The acquisition, according to Musk, is about reduction of censorship. That, and subsequently, this thread, make this about censorship. Connecting this thread to other topics about censorship through a tag is entirely appropriate. I don't see any need to overanalyze the appearance of a tag.

Kaelon

Adherent
The acquisition, according to Musk, is about reduction of censorship. That, and subsequently, this thread, make this about censorship. Connecting this thread to other topics about censorship through a tag is entirely appropriate. I don't see any need to overanalyze the appearance of a tag.

Putting aside truthingtotruth's conspiracy theories, I think his question could have been more respectfully answered with something like "mods and admins periodically tag conversations here so that they can be searched more easily on the forum," rather than telling him to "chill out" and that his concerns were only his own and that no one else "cares about these tags other than" him.

Re: Musk's acquisition, there should be little doubt that Elon Musk is acquiring Twitter in order to better drive and control the public conversation. Censorship, for what it's worth, is a red herring; Elon wants to more readily influence the Twitterverse without having to contend with moderation decisions that he disagrees with. It's a classic power-move.

Last edited: