So I'm about to kick off my forum!

HulkSmash

Neophyte
OK, I've finally installed and configured vB4 to look reasonable. It's installed in a sub-folder for my website which gets pretty reasonable traffic. I'm about to "turn on" the forum by adding it to navigation in the menu. From there I'll email my users announcing that it's there and ready to use.

Before I do the above, I want to have a few bases covered first. They are:

1. I want to have a set of rules that can be referenced. Does anyone have or know of a template that I can use? I've never run a forum before. My gut tells me the usual stuff like courtesy and kindness but I'm sure there's more to it. Any help is appreciated.

2. A few posts for the first few users to engage with. Any ideas here would be helpful too although I'm mindful that my site operates within a niche category so perhaps I'm better placed to think of these. Just thought I'd ask as maybe there's a good "go-to" first thread.

And that's it! So any help or comments are much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
When it comes to rules, there are a lot of different ways to go, depending on how anal you are and how much moderating you want to do. I find keeping to a few simple, common sense rules will do the job.

Start with pen and paper. Write down your vision for how you'd like your forum community to be. Then write a few sentences about how you'd like your members to behave to meet that vision. Once you're happy with that, you should be able to turn it into a few easy to understand rules or behaviour guidelines you expect people to follow.