So has anyone else about had it with DMOZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamaStangGuy

Fanatic
cbp said:
Does any one know what this means? What is it to do with DMOZ?
If it does not have anything to do with this thread then ignore it. However, I have some concerns that I would like answered as to why after over a year now my site is still not in the directory.

My site continues to expand in both member numbers and posts. 3500 posts a week on average and that number continues to grow. My site is active and new content is continually being added.

It makes me feel like I am being snubbed by some asshat that is in charge of that directory and I am pretty pissed no one will give me an answer when I followed the damn guidelines on the submission page.

cbp

Habitué
<edit>whoops - redundant message ... missed your post on previous page>

Which site are you talking about?
I am pretty pissed no one will give me an answer
What sort of answer where you expecting?

cbp

Habitué
Yor site simply has not been reviewed yet. I am still not clear on what sort of answer you are expecting?

BamaStangGuy

Fanatic
I am talking about http://www.mustangevolution.com

Does it honestly take over a year to review a site? I mean seriously....

What I want to know is why it takes over a year to review a site.. something that I can not see taking 5 minutes to do...

It just blows my mind

That is honestly all I want to know. I mean the Ford Mustang section can not be receiving that many submissions... and even if it is... geez...

cbp

Habitué
Does it honestly take over a year to review a site? I mean seriously....
I think the answer to that has been given in several messages in this thread. It can take anywhere from a matter of minutes to several years. DMOZ is not a listing reviewing and service and reviewing submissions is not a priority for editors.

BamaStangGuy

Fanatic
cbp said:
I think the answer to that has been given in several messages in this thread. It can take anywhere from a matter of minutes to several years. DMOZ is not a listing reviewing and service and reviewing submissions is not a priority for editors.
What other duties do editors have then that are their priority?

1 year + is ridiculous regardless. Especially for something like a Ford Mustang category

What good is a directory if new sites have to wait 1..2.. or even 3 years to get their useful content in this "oh so wonderful, full of great info" directory

cbp

Habitué
I just had look at the Mustang category --- there are 186 sites listed. I do not edit in that part of the directory, but if I did I would probebly ignore that category and work on smaller ones that needed building up. Of what use to the visitor would be the category if it had 187 sites listed? I am not familiar with the area, but what is listed in the category looks like a pretty comprehensive coverage of the area to me.

BamaStangGuy

Fanatic
cbp said:
I just had look at the Mustang category --- there are 186 sites listed. I do not edit in that part of the directory, but if I did I would probebly ignore that category and work on smaller ones that needed building up. Of what use to the visitor would be the category if it had 187 sites listed? I am not familiar with the area, but what is listed in the category looks like a pretty comprehensive coverage of the area to me.
What use is the dmoz period if you have that attitude and do not list all the useful content that you know of.

The attitude "Oh it has a lot of sites in it now, lets stop adding useful sites because the ones in there will do and let's go to smaller areas and build those up..." only to eventually get a lot in those and then have another useful site apply to that category only to have this mentality applied to their site

cbp

Habitué
What other duties do editors have then that are their priority?
You really need to read all the messages in this thread. You have a serious misunderstanding of what DMOZ is and is not.

But here is a cut and paste from one of my earlier ones:
That is only the case if you consider DMOZ to be some sort of listing service - its not... as such the concept of a "backlog" does not really exist.

There is only a "backlog" at DMOZ if you consider DMOZ to be a listing service and the editors role being to process submissions - it is neither. Most critics and that author consider DMOZ to be a listing service ...they need to get over that. Many other directories provide that service. I fail to understand why so many complain about something that is not provided by DMOZ.

An editors role is to build a category of useful resources. The role is not to list every possible site on the topic of the category and its not to process submissions. Submitting a site is nothing more than a suggestion for the editor to consider (and editors are free to totally ignore all submissions, though most do not.)

To build a category an editor uses the following resources (for eg):
1. Personal knowledge
2. Following links on sites already listed and not listed
3. Searching Google and Yahoo, etc
4. Google alerts
5. Print advertisments; signs on trucks etc
6. Submmitted sites
7. Industry publications
8. etc

By submitting sites, you are doing nothing more than providing another means of assistance for a editor to find good sites. The problem is that the submitted sites is the worst source of good sites and is the most inefficient way for an editor to build a category. The best sites are probably never submitted (not every one has heard of DMOZ!) - they have just as much right to be considered for a listing to build a category of good resources as any site submitted. As they were not submitted, they are just a bit harder to find.

From this point of view the "backlog" at DMOZ is an irrelavant concept. The "backlog" really consists of the entire www of sites not listed.

DMOZ is NOT a listing service for webmasters. That servce is provided by a lot of other directories.

cbp

Habitué
What use is the dmoz period if you have that attitude and do not list all the useful content that you know of.
Where did I say that? I just said if I worked in that part of the directory, adding more content to the mustang category would not be MY priority. There are plenty of more underdeveloped categories in that area to be worked on. Processing submissions to build a category is the worse way to do it.

BamaStangGuy

Fanatic
An editors role is to build a category of useful resources.
That is almost laughable.

http://www.geocities.com/johnv56/ (listed in my category)

Oh god that site above is so useful. I am totally in the WRONG area of the Ford Mustang community.

I should just delete my site and then throw a bunch of pictures of my car up and then reapply :)

What you quoted to me is just a jazzed up way to say this persons only job is to find useful sites and go through the submitted ones.

If the editor of the category hasnt found my site by now he needs to be removevd because he aint doing his/her job ;)

cbp

Habitué
You can do what you like with your site. If you think it will help then do it. That site was listed in 2001 when there would not be many sites around on the topic. Who cares?

Not sure why you get so worked up about this. Submit and forget. You get listed or you don't. Life goes on. DMOZ link or not, sites still do well.

BamaStangGuy

Fanatic
cbp said:
Where did I say that? I just said if I worked in that part of the directory, adding more content to the mustang category would not be MY priority. There are plenty of more underdeveloped categories in that area to be worked on. Processing submissions to build a category is the worse way to do it.
Well then maybe we need to add more editors if it takes pulling editors from categories and delaying the process of adding this "useful" information you hail the DMOZ is after

cbp

Habitué
Well then maybe we need to add more editors if it takes pulling editors from categories and delaying the process of adding
You really have a serious misunderstanding how DMOZ works.... DMOZ adds 100's of new editors each month.

Simply saying this:
delaying the process of adding
implies you are still on about DMOZ being a listing service for webmasters. How many times do editors have to state that its not.

BamaStangGuy

Fanatic
cbp said:
You can do what you like with your site. If you think it will help then do it. That site was listed in 2001 when there would not be many sites around on the topic. Who cares?

Not sure why you get so worked up about this. Submit and forget. You get listed or you don't. Life goes on. DMOZ link or not, sites still do well.
Are you kidding me? I CARE

I spent hours upon hours upon hours and many many dollars into my site to make it what it is A FORD MUSTANG *****RESOURCE******* you know WITH USEFUL INFORMATION

Not some pictures of a damn GT mustang

I would expect a DIRECTORY of USEFUL information to have USEFUL information in it! Not some geocities BS page full of some guys car.

I complain because I do not feel DMOZ is doin what you say it is. It is not providing useful information. Sure it has some good sites in there... so big deal.. alot of other directories list those good sites.

However you got a lot of sites that are just laughable in there and call that useful information?

BamaStangGuy

Fanatic
cbp said:
You really have a serious misunderstanding how DMOZ works.... DMOZ adds 100's of new editors each month.

Simply saying this:implies you are still on about DMOZ being a listing service for webmasters. How many times do editors have to state that its not.
I am implying that DMOZ is not doing what it is made to do. Provide useful content. Period. If it takes 3 years to add my site to DMOZ it is not very useful to someone looking for Ford Mustang websites in those 2-3 years is it?

No it isn;t

cbp

Habitué
You are still expecting DMOZ to provide you with the service of listing your site (as gets stated repeatedly, DMOZ does not provide a listing service) . If you are not happy with the service take your business elsewhere (as you say many other directories offer that service) or ask DMOZ for a refund....

BamaStangGuy

Fanatic
cbp said:
You are still expecting DMOZ to provide you with the service of listing your site (as gets stated repeatedly, DMOZ does not provide a listing service) . If you are not happy with the service take your business elsewhere (as you say many other directories offer that service) or ask DMOZ for a refund....

Give me a break. My complaint is that those 100 brand spankin new wonderful editors are not doing a damn thing to reduce the time it takes to get listed if those 100 new editors each month can not be moved to categories that have useful sites waiting to be added.

Your site lists useful content.

It is not listing my site.

It is not doing its job. Listing service or not, I submitted a useful site a year ago and it has yet to be added or according to you IT HASNT EVEN BEEN REVIEWED.

A YEAR! Do you understand that?

That is not good period. You can call yourself what ever the hell you want to call yourself but if you can not accept critism for taking way to long to do what the site is made for then I dont really care cause I can say my spill on these forums and you can go about your merry way being the damn good editor you are. You do not control my listing I am just making observations and complaining about a site that was created to provide usefule information and it is simply NOT DOING THAT.

If you think some guy throwing pictures of his GT on a site is useful DMOZ IS ****ED UP!

BamaStangGuy

Fanatic
Would you shut up with your smartass replies? You are really pissing me off with this take my business else where ask for a refund crap.

I am complaining that the DMOZ is 1) not very useful seeing the sites that are listed in just the Ford Mustang directory alone 2) way to slow at including good useful information.

I do not have to take my shizzle anywhere. I take it here and I say my spill. Whether it does good or not I do not care. This is a forum for Admins and this admin thinks DMOZ is not doing what it is intended to do.

Obviously you are extremely stubborn and do not care to even think of the possibility that the DMOZ is a mess and is including pages that offer NO USEFUL information to users while throwing editors at smaller categories and filling those with more great pictures of Chevy Camaros or whatever the hell the category is

cbp

Habitué
Would you shut up with your smartass replies? You are really pissing me off with this take my business else where ask for a refund crap.
You obviously are still failing to understand what DMOZ is about. You are expecting a service from DMOZ that you are not even paying for (hence the quip about asking for a refund, so hopefully it would sink it) and you also failed to read the warning of the moderater at the start of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.