Sneak peek at redesigned phpBB theme

rafalp

Desu Ex
If you are following discussion on Area51, this isn't anything new, but phpBB3 blog now contains sneak peeks at work that was happening on redesigning default theme to make it more contemporary:

https://blog.phpbb.com/2018/09/16/to-the-future/

I can't deny myself satisfaction of point out that they've officially admitted that prosilver is infamous. I've always hated how it displayed profile card on the right part of content, never bought their argument about people focusing more on the posted message that way (to the contrary due to them fighting what users are accustomed to), their manual use of CSS sprites before asset pipelines could automate that for you, and css hacks for fancy things like round corners. I've hated every bit of this theme.

feldon30

Adherent
They put allll that effort into rewriting the code for 3.1 and then used the same theme. Most people didn't even realize there was a reason to upgrade. Glad to see they're working on a new theme. Wish it was a bit less Material Design though. We have massively powerful computers and phones and yet modern web design is primary colors on white or black. So flat you could choke. :(

Here's where we're going:

aeq2wire.com_photos_materialdesign.jpg

haqzore

Devotee
Prosilver will always hold a special place for me.

My very first admin'ing was done in phpBB and Prosilver and I like the look of it aside from its faults.

This is definitely long overdue for phpBB though, so good for them.

R0binHood

Habitué
I'm not completely sold on material design either, it can look really good when customised. But I feel it lacks definition sometimes out of the box. Those screenshots sure to look a heck of a lot better than the current theme, which is doing it a disservice.

\o/

an oddity
Exactly, what we needed: phpBB imitating every other forum software, graphically.

Don't misunderstand me: I don't miss the pre-2.0 time with its vintage HTML design. But a part of phpBB's uniqueness will be lost.

feldon30

Adherent
That looks kinda VanillaForo. I think the feel and unique touches of phpBB ProSilver could be kept while bringing it forward.

AllanD

Habitué
I think the redesign looks a lot better, but will still miss the ProSilver days.

StaticAge

Enthusiast
I quite like it. I think that there's a little too much padding on the forum categories though. Also, while I like grid type layouts, the empty space when there's an odd amount of categories annoys me. It would be good if in those cases the last one would spread across to fill the gap.

Frode789

Participant
I think it looks good. It's a step in the right direction, I have not had the strong (positive) feelings towards prosilver as many others.. I will enjoy the day it kicks the bucket :p