SMF - Not As Bad As I Thought

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
Smf 2.0 is ok I guess. It lacks a little in the look and features departement, but their newest version, Smf 2.1. is a huge improvement in every way. It adds a lot of nice features than can compete with the paid forums. The admin panel is very enhanced and not bloated. Also the new look it is very nice.

Deprecated

Participant
I always make a full backup, before i play around with any files, if it goes wrong just restore the backup, Thats the whole idea of customising your forum to how you want it, Its a great way of learning too.
Another technique many forum operators use is to have a second identical forum (or more than one) perhaps installed on a subdomain e.g. test.example.com, you can create such a test forum by SSH copying your entire production forum to a new directory including permissions, then add a new database for it. Copy the production database into the new database, then use RepairSettings.php to get almost there, and visit your theme settings to adjust them as required.

Once you have done this you have a clone of your production system that is virtually identical in terms of setup. You can play with your files, mod packages, etc. until you get it right, and then do the same thing to your production forum.

This allows your production forum to continue operation and permits happy members to continue their posts.

Any time you want you can just reset your test forum. Just save the settings files, delete the whole thing and copy again, overwrite the settings with your saved settings files, visit the theme settings, re-copy the database and you are back in business.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I should add, a staging site is good practice in any development environment, provided the test site is kept away from the main one.

Deprecated

Participant
Yes, as I suggested. You can install it under your production e.g. production is example.com/forum/ so test wold be example.com/test/. Using a subdomain is better because it provides more isolation. Whether Apache or Nginx the file structures do not overlap at all. In the example I gave the worst way would be production forum example.com/ and test forum example.com/test/.

We modders often have three or several test forums, and back before I dropped 1.x support even more for testing the 1.x version of your mod. I finally dropped support of 1.x.

I wonder if the devs will drop support of 1.x when 2.1 is released... Seems to me they should end-of-life 1.x.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
1.1.x has already been declared EOL, some time ago.

Deprecated

Participant
Ah good. The best thing you could do is send out urgent response teams to help 1.x operators upgrade to 2.x.