Smf 2.1 a beauty

zappaDPJ

I'm suprised the smf support forum isnt using it.

That wouldn't really be practical while there are still issues to be resolved. I have a test site running using a fairly recent version and while it appears to be stable I still wouldn't risk upgrading any of my live sites.

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
That wouldn't really be practical while there are still issues to be resolved. I have a test site running using a fairly recent version and while it appears to be stable I still wouldn't risk upgrading any of my live sites.
Yeah I guess so. No point in using insecure software.

Oldiesmann

Tazmanian
The SMF support forum is somewhat customized too as I recall, plus there's the website integration stuff to deal with...

overcast

Adherent
It has been a very long time indeed, but that is to be expected with free forums. I mean it is being developed by volunteers on their free time who come and go. But the most important things imo are that it is a stable product, and the support is top notch.
Yes but the thing is that the team has to move on and innovate ahead.

AllanD

Habitué
SMF has always been notorious for getting new versions out slow, if I remember right this was the same way going into 2 from 1. They will get it done just takes them a long time to do so. I think so long that by the time is comes out it's almost dated.

al5nr

Aspirant
SMF has always been notorious for getting new versions out slow, if I remember right this was the same way going into 2 from 1. They will get it done just takes them a long time to do so. I think so long that by the time is comes out it's almost dated.

SMF is not in a hurry to release new versions.

Nabix

They really just need to skip 2.1 and go straight to 3.x with fresh, responsive design. But, I doubt that will happen with their current support staff. :/

zappaDPJ

They really just need to skip 2.1 and go straight to 3.x with fresh, responsive design. But, I doubt that will happen with their current support staff. :/

I tend to agree. There's clearly been something wrong with the team for years. It occasionally spills over into the public domain on their support forums.

2.1 is so long coming it's already archaic in both look and function and by the time it sees the light of day humans will probably be living among the stars. I'll stick with 2.0 for as long as it is supported or migrate to another platform.

Frode789

Enthusiast
Yeah this software is basically an ancient dinosaur at this point. There is 0 reason to pick this over phpBB if you are looking for a free alternative today.