Smf 2.1 a beauty

we_are_borg

Tazmanian
the problem most open source software has is lack of direction and want to stay compatible with older versions so that themes and add-ons still work. Because of this you maintain the old system and can't switch fast enough when new tech is out.

Bigguy

W.U.B Owner
I can't speak for a stable release but I think RC1 will be out soon...maybe before xmas....MAYBE, lol.

Bigguy

W.U.B Owner
They also had 3 sets of Dev problems as well while making 2.1.

shinglis

Neophyte
I can't speak for a stable release but I think RC1 will be out soon...maybe before xmas....MAYBE, lol.

haha.. can I frame this post.. only a month to go till Christmas..

Note - I hope your are correct and 2.1 is out soon.

zappaDPJ

zappaDPJ

Just to put some further perspective on this; I fully understand the software is free to use and the developers get nothing in the way of compensation for their work but many of us give up a proportion of our free time for the benefit of others and that shouldn't in my opinion lower the exceptions of what is provided.

It's important to remember that this isn't SMF 3.0, we are waiting for, it's 2.1. I don't really know what goes on behind the scenes but over the years it's become obvious it's a project with no one with any vision at the helm. It's also become obvious that many of the people involved don't actually understand the requirements of a basic forum let alone a product that meets the expectations of today's forum user.

I don't believe there's a shortage of skilled manpower, I'm sure many of the developers that have worked on the project have had the necessary skills and dedication to get this job done years ago. The problem appears to come from the top.

I still have medium to large (1 million posts+) forums running on SMF because despite its antiquity, it's fast, robust and secure plus I'm familiar enough with it to be able to bend the code to my will. However it's also 10-15 years behind what is expect from a modern forum product so if I don't see something of any substance released in the new year I will be migrating all my SMF forums to another platform.

Bigguy

W.U.B Owner
Well......when ya put it like that, lol. Lets hope it wow's a lot of people.

AllanD

Habitué
This has always been a plaque for SMF, they start a new version and then people wait years for something to happen. The software itself isn't bad just needed some tweaks to make it better then the competition.

vbgamer45

Adherent
I feel like it is mainly bug/feature creep at this point. I think there should have been more official beta releases to keep things going. Since people like to see progress. Most people don't really visit the github.

Bigguy

W.U.B Owner
RC1 has not been released to the public yet, but...they have changed the version info in the footer of the software now to read: SMF 2.1 RC1. GitHub shows RC1 at 100%, RC2 is 38% complete. I think they are doin a great job really. I just updated my site and updated Tiny Portal as well. Both are lookin good and runnin fine. ;)

Bigguy

W.U.B Owner
[off-topic] Is this smiley wrong. Shouldn't the wink be on the lower eye....just askin. That's even weird to try, lmao. ;)

Daleys

Neophyte
I hate the whole layout of 2.1 and the fact they aren't offering the default theme of 2.0 in it like the core theme is a real kick in the teeth. Lots of people spend time customising and creating their own theme and spend a lot of work on it only then to have to upgrade to 2.1 because they won't be doing any more security updates and fixes for 2.0 and has to deal with the new theme which i hate so much. I definitely won't be upgrading to it unless they offer supports for themes that people has made unique their own for the current version. I personally love the default theme of 2.0.

zappaDPJ

I hate the whole layout of 2.1 and the fact they aren't offering the default theme of 2.0 in it like the core theme is a real kick in the teeth. Lots of people spend time customising and creating their own theme and spend a lot of work on it only then to have to upgrade to 2.1 because they won't be doing any more security updates and fixes for 2.0 and has to deal with the new theme which i hate so much. I definitely won't be upgrading to it unless they offer supports for themes that people has made unique their own for the current version. I personally love the default theme of 2.0.

At the current rate of progress it could be a long time before 2.1 is ready to deploy on a live site. I've lost count of how many years it's been in development. I suspect 2.0.x will be supported for a few more years by which time 2.1 will be so old it'll be largely irrelevant.

vbgamer45

Adherent
It is true in the past. Old themes were supported but it was looked at that when people switched to the new version most would not use the old theme and would switch over to the new default theme. It easier to focus on one theme and have it updated then to have multiple themes that are not as good as the base default theme. There is a new color customizer mod on the mod site that allows you to customize 2.1 very easily in terms of colors.

Daleys

Neophyte
Is there a way to make SMF default theme work with 2.1 if it will ever be released. I would even pay someone to add it in the themes section so anyone can download and install it.

vbgamer45

Adherent
Would require updates I am sure if you did a paid request a theme developer would do it.

Daleys

Neophyte
Would require updates I am sure if you did a paid request a theme developer would do it.
Will see what happens as it mightn't be released for another few years. I will open a topic if that times comes and get someone to make me 2.0 default theme to work with 2.1 but at the moment i'm sticking with 2.0 and will only update when i have to.

Doug Heffernan

Enthusiast
Will see what happens as it mightn't be released for another few years. I will open a topic if that times comes and get someone to make me 2.0 default theme to work with 2.1 but at the moment i'm sticking with 2.0 and will only update when i have to.

Should not take that long now for the Smf 2.1. final version. RC 3 has only 2 opened tickets and the final only 78.

Abizaga

I am a tuna sandwich!
I have not seen it. I'm suprised the smf support forum isnt using it.