SMF 2.0.18 released

vbgamer45

Adherent
Simple Machines is pleased to announce a new patch for the 2.0.x line of SMF, which pushes the version number to 2.0.18.

The patch is focused on PHP 7.4 support as well as other issues encountered on previous versions such as
  • Policy acceptance missing id_member.
  • Addresses PHP parse errors when using SMF file cache
  • Avoids truncating Settings.php until after we have a lock on the file
  • Tighten up security checks, bring in sync with 2.1
  • Brought the UTF16-to-UTF8 logic over from 2.1
  • Always include email address when downloading user's own profile data
  • Fix missing info affecting logging for new registrations
  • Fixes bugs with multi-version jumps (via CLI) where settings weren't refreshed
  • Set utf8 as default going forward
Full details

I will add this will also supports PHP 8.0.x

davert

Adherent
It is indeed welcome. I thought SMF had died given the length of time between updates.

There have been two forks, but both appear to be moribund now. The earlier fork looks really, really good but no updates in a long time...

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
It's good to see SMF is still plodding along. I've always liked it. I know some think it looks dated. All I see is something that's reliable, secure, and fast. I have a couple of projects I've been mulling over for a long time and if I ever get around to starting them, it will likely be with SMF.

davert

Adherent
I like SMF but there are some bugs (with sessions) that have annoyed me, and looking at the forks makes SMF styling look rather dated. I still like it. I ended up using phpBB for a new project mainly because it's seemingly under more active development and has a very good WordPress bridge, (mostly the latter), but really miss the power of SMF when I use phpBB. (I did a lot of skin modernizing on my phpbb install.)

davert

Adherent
Wish I didn't know that now... I went through and made a lot of changes to the templates but could still switch to SMF. The post editor in phpbb is screwy.

vbgamer45

Adherent
Yeah, at one time SMF had an updated bridges section but the requests have declined over years used to have many bridges for CMS software such as Joomla etc.

SMF 2.1 uses SCEditor same editor MyBB uses. I have an addon for 2.0.x that uses SCEditor as well to replace the SMF editor.

I do some work with phpBB mainly forum hosting scripts, haven't really got around to extensions in phpBB .

davert

Adherent
Yeah, at one time SMF had an updated bridges section but the requests have declined over years used to have many bridges for CMS software such as Joomla etc.

SMF 2.1 uses SCEditor same editor MyBB uses. I have an addon for 2.0.x that uses SCEditor as well to replace the SMF editor.

I do some work with phpBB mainly forum hosting scripts, haven't really got around to extensions in phpBB .

My main issue with the editor in SMF is that you don't get it when editing a post, only when making it the first time... otherwise it's OK. I might end up going back to Invision after all, I do still have a license... if I can get a bridge in IPB. I'd rather stick with the open source, but phpbb seems like it's still very young - I'm guessing they rewrote all the code at some point - and SMF's forward momentum is so slow I can't tell if it's really still under active development. Maybe I should just hang on and see if they release an actual final 2.1.

vbgamer45

Adherent
You should get the editor if you are editing the post.
There are two ways though. Click the edit post link and you get the full editor.
If you do an inline post edit then yes it is just a textbox to change the post contents quickly

davert

Adherent
Not getting it when I edit... might be a skin issue and I might be slandering phpbb without cause.

I also just had a bunch of posts go missing, which I haven't had time to investigate yet. I'm the only admin so I'm pretty sure that's not the issue.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
If you click the little 'quick edit' button you won't get the editor but the main modify button should take you to the full editing page in all cases in SMF. It's even more prominently so in 2.1.

Going back to the original topic, I hate to ask but how many bugs did the fixes for 2.0.18 produce? The last few releases seem to have become 'odd numbers good, even numbers bad' :(

davert

Adherent
Thanks. The moderation system remains broken for me - it's never worked. One admin page now has an error message. Overall it was relatively smooth but I couldn't use the automated system - in the past I had to manually fix pages. I ended up doing the pages requiring one or two edits myself and uploading more-modified pages entirely, so any faults are likely my own fault.

vbgamer45

Adherent
Going back to the original topic, I hate to ask but how many bugs did the fixes for 2.0.18 produce? The last few releases seem to have become 'odd numbers good, even numbers bad'
So far only two. One birthdate editing issue looks like a missing use/global in the conversion to create_function.
Another with rss feeds encoding certain characters due to some changes with entity encoding/decoding, the logic is really odd there.
Both have issues fixes ready.

Pete

Hate to be the party pooper but there were issues caused by 2.0.16/17 that were posted as 'we have a fix' months ago and these only just made 2.0.18 - how long before 2.0.19?

Gotta be honest, the last few releases have not been stellar in my opinion.

vbgamer45

Adherent
I agree on faster releases in general, always wanted. The testing pool is small in terms of beta testing/team members which makes it hard to test all settings/features. In the old days we used to have charter members that can recieve release early for a week or two and test as well. My opinion it is harder to get people to work on an older version then the new 2.1 that is being developed. That has always been true, but the focus for security updates was always there.

Pete

I disagree; I do not believe more recent releases are being tested to the same level as earlier releases - I remember 2.0.7 breaking things that had to be fixed in 2.0.8 (the big PHP 5.5 update) but this feels like every release brings new bugs caused by the last version's fixes :(

I feel like 2.0.12 was probably the last release that I felt *comfortable* with :(

Study Force

Enthusiast
I stopped their support forum over a year ago since it isn't mobile-friendly. They have version 2.1 available, which is mobile-friendly, yet they refuse to sport it.