Similar Threads - Limit Thread Age? Bumping Old Threads

ProWeb

Enthusiast
When we updated to XF 2.2, we enabled the "similar threads" feature that comes with "enhanced search".

... and soon thereafter we got a bunch of people complaining about it because people were reading old threads from years ago, and replying / bumping them.

I know we can enable the lookback window / timeframe for how old the threads are that are pulled up, but I argue that since our content is super evergreen (how to care for your garden vs. which cell phone is best), that a thread from 10 years ago is often as relevant and helpful as one a week old.

(plus, I'm hoping the replies to old threads could potentially bring back some old members).

Overall I think the pros of having the feature AND having it use all our content, even from 10 years ago, outweigh the cons.

What do you guys think?

TLChris

Administrator
I turned them off of my sites.

As an admin I agree with everything you said, but as a user I found them not as useful. So worked for me.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
What do you guys think?

I think when older content is not wanted or required it's time to close the forum and go to Facebook. I make a point of telling my members revisiting old content is very welcome providing there is some context within the reply.

I also turn off similar thread functions because in my view there is simply not enough intelligence behind them. It's an area where I'd like to see a lot more development time spent so that similar threads really are relevant to the member's viewing history.

palhanow

Enthusiast
I think Enhanced/Elastic Search should be free as any other platforms offer, even MyBB, an open-source software offer the plugin if I'm not mistaken.

I was planning to use the 'Similar Threads' and buy Enhanced Search on my Forum, but when using the official XF site, it looks a little 'polluted', annoying me every time that i post something.

And let's agree: Google does a better search and indexing job better than any Forum.

Nev_Dull

Anachronism
I encourage users to post on any discussion, regardless of how "old" it is. However, I agree the similar thread function isn't particularly good. Unless you can use contextual markers to designate threads which are actually related, it just adds confusion to the search results.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I think Enhanced/Elastic Search should be free as any other platforms offer, even MyBB, an open-source software offer the plugin if I'm not mistaken.

I was planning to use the 'Similar Threads' and buy Enhanced Search on my Forum, but when using the official XF site, it looks a little 'polluted', annoying me every time that i post something.

And let's agree: Google does a better search and indexing job better than any Forum.

The reason it isn’t free is to deter people from installing it and discovering that they can’t run ES in their shared hosting, and to soak up the inevitable support time it will cost.

Google does a better job indexing if, and only if, the content you want to find is public, if it is not available to guests, Google is of zero use to you.

ripptech

Professional Lurker
IDK how useful the similar threads thing is (either built-in or Andy's) for actual users, but I use it just to make sure there is some internal linkage for Google to chew on. 🤷‍♂️ How good it works for that purpose, or for the users, I honestly have no idea. I figure more linkage is better.