Show us your IPS Communities!

Boba Fettt

Neophyte
I've had no complaints yet. MO I think its easier I whole heartily respect your input. I haven't had any complaints on it yet.
Were brand new and im feeling things out.

tony45

Enthusiast
I've had no complaints yet. MO I think its easier I whole heartily respect your input. I haven't had any complaints on it yet.

Good luck!

I wouldnt use statistics as people dont care about it and you´re expending space it can be better used in other way

DigNap15

Habitué
Good luck!
I wouldnt use statistics as people dont care about it and you´re expending space it can be better used in other way
My members often comment on how many members we have.
It had a great initial start, and now its slowed down to one or two new members a day.
I think members like to see they are part of a growing community.

V0RT3X

Aspirant

The thing is, now on mobile users will see the sidebar content before the main one (the forum itself) when they enter the site.

tony45

Enthusiast
My members often comment on how many members we have.
It had a great initial start, and now its slowed down to one or two new members a day.
I think members like to see they are part of a growing community.

So what if sign ups decline to zero? your community shouldnt be worrying about that number. A community is about interactions, content creation, added value, emotions. Look at twitter, FB, Whatsapp, IG, nobody cares about how many they are or how many post the site have

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
So what if sign ups decline to zero? your community shouldnt be worrying about that number. A community is about interactions, content creation, added value, emotions. Look at twitter, FB, Whatsapp, IG, nobody cares about how many they are or how many post the site have

Like what you're saying about the fresh content... we just upgraded all our smileys yesterday and the community has been having some fun with them.
Do you think there is any good connection at all that we should consider between signups and interesting content?
:)

gogo

User37935

Neophyte
So what if sign ups decline to zero? your community shouldnt be worrying about that number.

Erm, zero sign-ups means no new members coming in to replace the ones who waste away naturally. I'd say that would be quite worrying and not a good sign of a healthy forum? You always need fresh blood coming in.

DigNap15

Habitué
Yes, as with any business or organisaton, so with fourms, you are either going forwards or going backwards.
Most of my members are in the over 55 age group, so there is bound to be "natural wastage" eg some of my members are telling us that they are sure one of our favroite members died the other day.
Then there are people who get bored with your forum, or find another one, or who take up drumming or basket weaving.
So yes you always need new members.

tony45

Enthusiast
Erm, zero sign-ups means no new members coming in to replace the ones who waste away naturally. I'd say that would be quite worrying and not a good sign of a healthy forum? You always need fresh blood coming in.

Yep, in that case you dont want to everybody in your forum to know that, right?. Thats what I mean

DigNap15

Habitué
A lot of my members look at the number of members widget, especially when we come up to milestones, eg 500, 800, 900, 1000.
But what is the next milestone 5,000? thats going to take years!

gogoblender

shiny happy pantless
A lot of my members look at the number of members widget, especially when we come up to milestones, eg 500, 800, 900, 1000.
But what is the next milestone 5,000? thats going to take years!

I love the members widget and our members loved it too!

But, it used to show different group colors before.

Ever since we upgraded to lastest IPB version it only shows one color

o_O

gogo

D

Deleted member 3691

I just set up a new IPS Community called Mental Illness Awareness to help people with a mental illness. I have been dealing with mental illness all my life.

May I offer some advice?

There's a lot of forums which some may find a little daunting. You could consider hiding some until you get a handful or more specific conversations that require a separate forum, or you could try out fluid view which removes the complexity a little and focuses on the discussions themselves. When you start growing beyond this stream view, then you can switch back to more organised categories and forums.

You've done a good job of seeding the forum, but I'd love to see a mission statement at the top, or some onboarding block that explains the benefits of signing up.

Also, produce some content around the forum to get people visiting. Writing blogs and articles that you share over your social media channels are a simple way to entice new visitors in. If you're not an expert writer, then why not just create a blog that takes 3-4 articles from around the web and add a little commentary to them as a 'round up' blog.

Perhaps writing an anonymous blog with personal experience will help new members feel comfortable enough to share.

Remind people that they can sign up with a username, which, unlike social media, means you can remain anonymous to a degree. Push the privacy angle as this is a good benefit over social media.

DigNap15

Habitué
May I offer some advice?

Remind people that they can sign up with a username, which, unlike social media, means you can remain anonymous to a degree. Push the privacy angle as this is a good benefit over social media.
Yes that is one of the main advantages forums have over other social media, that and the organised layout.

Soulwatcher

Devotee
I closed my Mental Illness forum because it was causing me to be really depressed. So I made a new website and it's about Going Cord-Free and ditching your cable bill and you can view it here. Go Cord-Free