Show us your IPS Communities!

Morrigan

I put the Cute in Exe"cute".
What are you looking to display Mouth It's pretty extensible but it really depends on how you want to use calendar. I think the best integration is possibly with clubs but it really depends on what you're looking for.

Mouth

Enthusiast
What are you looking to display Mouth It's pretty extensible but it really depends on how you want to use calendar. I think the best integration is possibly with clubs but it really depends on what you're looking for.
Thanks. Users like to discuss/plan/schedule events. Most of the traffic and awareness of events comes because of the forum discussion topic getting activity and new posts. If IPS events aren't integrated with the Forums, I'm wondering how users becomes aware of events and engage with the event and other participants.

Morrigan

I put the Cute in Exe"cute".
Can you start a new thread about this so we don't spam this thread. I have plenty of information for you to help you make a decision on that and anyone else interested in it. Mouth

Maddox

Habitué
Just starting out with this site - it's been something I've wanted to do for years but never really found the right software to do what I wanted to do. With the advent of IPS adding more core features into the pot, this was the breakthrough I was waiting (and hoping) for. Loneliness is a terrible affliction for anyone to bear and it can be heartbreaking to see so many people suffer this torment when it is unnecessary. So I present to you:

https://lonelypeople.co.uk

Although this is based in the UK the site is welcome to be used by anyone, anywhere in the world. If it can bring a release to loneliness then it will be job done.

If you know of anyone who is alone and would like to meet up online with others, please spread the word.

The software is IPS with only two addons - A different articles style and Invitations. Everything else is stock IPS including the theme which has quite a number of CSS changes to shape it the way I imagined it to be.

;)

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Update for lonely people - we now have a video introduction to the site on the home page; this was kindly created by one of our members. The site continues to progress, but still not quite ready for being pushed out to the masses. Feel free to check it out @ https://lonelypeople.co.uk

;)
Great intro vid. It's a very professional introduction to the community.
The site is looking quite lovely Maddox. Truly.
Congrats!

J.

Maddox

Habitué
PoetJC many thanks for the kudos - it's something I've been wanting to do for a while. It's still a WIP as there is much more I want to add, but slow and steady is the way.

;)

Maddox

Habitué
I've been playing with the CSS of the IPS Clubs feature to make it look more attractive (lol) - have a look and let me know what you think. They are on the hine page under the intro video.

https://lonelypeople.co.uk

;)

esquire

Habitué
Well done. Aesthetically very attractive. I find the circles concept confusing although I understand what it is. The action is happening at your forum and that's a bit hidden. Otherwise... really nice to look at. I doubt I could get the site I'm toying with to look that good. :D

Maddox

Habitué
I find the circles concept confusing although I understand what it is.

It took me a while to decide what to re-name the Clubs as Clubs wasn't the idea behind the concept - I thought of Groups, but then that kind of segregates people and puts them into pigeon holes. I used the term Circles with the idea that people sit around in a circle (as many do in therapy) and discuss their issues openly with others going through the same issues - Open Circles are just that, Open to all; there are no closed Circles/Groups/Clubs and people can join one or all or as many as they wish. It's like someone opening their arms and encircling you in them to make you feel wanted. Of course each Circle is geared towards people who do fall into particular situations that others in their situation can relate to. I started with 12 Circles, but that was somewhat cumbersome and after some thought, combined some that followed issues that were similar.

The only thing I wish IPS would do, would be to give more control over the aesthetics, layout and images used; I had to use a lot of CSS (some inventive) to get that look and it took a long time lol.

Thank you for your positive comment esquire

;)

craigForo

Enthusiast
Since were talking of style, I would entertain some constructive criticism on my hobby site. I want to make it look more......attractive or appealing.

To clarify specifically, color scheme.

and go...

Last edited:

Maddox

Habitué
Craigles700 There's a couple of things that would help your members focus more on the content as opposed to the aesthetics.

I'd change the fluid width to a fixed width of say somewhere around 1250px - people find it easier to read shorter lines than longer ones.
A few CSS tweaks here and there can make the site look more appealing - I've had a go at this, but unfortunately the results cannot be saved
A slightly darker background would push the lighter content areas to the fore as opposed to blending in - again this can be achieve with CSS or in the ACP

One of the issues that you need to think about very carefully is that when you make one change, it may mean making several other changes to reflect that one change. An example would be changing a background colour to a darker shade, may mean that text needs to be made a lighter shade. A change to a grid to sort out one page may affect the grid of another and so on. Sometimes you have to invent CSS syntax to get the result you want and only affect one page. It can be both fun and frustrating at the same time when all you are working from is (in my case) the Google Chrome console.

If there is anything you have in mind ask away and if I can find the CSS to change what you want I can post it here and you can add it to your custom CSS file through the ACP. If the change has unexpected results simply removing the CSS code from the custom CSS file will return things back to normal.

;)

Oldcrow

Enthusiast
Ronald's Arcade

I am still using the older version of IPB 3.4.9. I have it setup as an Arcade gaming site: https://ronaldsarcade.com/

We use the flash game games and also now converting the games to HTML 5, seeing flash will be done in 2020

Like the other Arcade forums, we all run IPB 3.4 versions, the reason being the ibProArcade 5.2.4 or lower versions, will not run on the upgraded IPB 4...

Ron.

craigForo

Enthusiast
Craigles700 There's a couple of things that would help your members focus more on the content as opposed to the aesthetics.

I'd change the fluid width to a fixed width of say somewhere around 1250px - people find it easier to read shorter lines than longer ones.
A few CSS tweaks here and there can make the site look more appealing - I've had a go at this, but unfortunately the results cannot be saved
A slightly darker background would push the lighter content areas to the fore as opposed to blending in - again this can be achieve with CSS or in the ACP

One of the issues that you need to think about very carefully is that when you make one change, it may mean making several other changes to reflect that one change. An example would be changing a background colour to a darker shade, may mean that text needs to be made a lighter shade. A change to a grid to sort out one page may affect the grid of another and so on. Sometimes you have to invent CSS syntax to get the result you want and only affect one page. It can be both fun and frustrating at the same time when all you are working from is (in my case) the Google Chrome console.

If there is anything you have in mind ask away and if I can find the CSS to change what you want I can post it here and you can add it to your custom CSS file through the ACP. If the change has unexpected results simply removing the CSS code from the custom CSS file will return things back to normal.

;)
Maddox, Looking to change globally the default font size for all posts and future posts in blogs and forums, preferable with additional css.
Is that anything you've played around with?

Maddox

Habitué
Craigles700 are you using a theme at all? I ask because sometimes themes change the default font and size. If you're just on the standard default theme then I'll take a look tomorrow as I'm closing down for the night and I'll get back to you; in the meantime let me have your site address and I'll look at what's in there. If you don't want to post it in here, send me a PM.

As an aside I've had to mix it with the CSS that I previously mentioned as it was a right old mess on FF and Edge, also (as always with CSS) you get something looking the way you want and throws something else out of canter, so I've had to be a little inventive and add some additional custom CSS and change a few templates.

;)

craigForo

Enthusiast
Craigles700 are you using a theme at all? I ask because sometimes themes change the default font and size. If you're just on the standard default theme then I'll take a look tomorrow as I'm closing down for the night and I'll get back to you; in the meantime let me have your site address and I'll look at what's in there. If you don't want to post it in here, send me a PM.

As an aside I've had to mix it with the CSS that I previously mentioned as it was a right old mess on FF and Edge, also (as always with CSS) you get something looking the way you want and throws something else out of canter, so I've had to be a little inventive and add some additional custom CSS and change a few templates.

;)
I think we got it. The site is here.

craigForo

Enthusiast
I like the colors
good idea for a forum/community btw...
do you hike often, are you able to put up pix and commentary regularly of your hiking?

:)

gogo
I try to get out at least once a week. Life gets in the way sometimes. I blog each of my hikes. Just trying to get more members.

Thanks for the kind words!