Show me Your phpbb

dihep

Participant
Errrm, it's not responsive? There's no excuse for such a flaw nowadays, and mobile visitors don't forgive it...

Hey.
Works fine on my mobile. It's optimized (not 100%, but I think more than enough) for mobiles. Some details of course are still under construction, but I can browse the forum just fine. Don't you?

strugar

Participant
Hey.
Works fine on my mobile. It's optimized (not 100%, but I think more than enough) for mobiles. Some details of course are still under construction, but I can browse the forum just fine. Don't you?

Yes, I can browse; but it looks just like desktop site, no responsive layout; for instance, check TAZ on mobile and on desktop.

When I open site, it looks like this:

Screenshot_2020-01-12-12-06-53.png

So I have to zoom in, and then it looks like this:

Screenshot_2020-01-12-12-07-03.png

Which is not really user-friendly, and I for one would bother with such a site only if it is important for me.

dihep

Participant
Yes, I can browse; but it looks just like desktop site, no responsive layout; for instance, check TAZ on mobile and on desktop.

When I open site, it looks like this:

View attachment 53819

So I have to zoom in, and then it looks like this:

View attachment 53820

Which is not really user-friendly, and I for one would bother with such a site only if it is important for me.

Oh, understood what you meant.
The forum was re-optimizated to look like it looks now. I noted your suggestion and will be under review, it can be easily done as far as I'm concerned (I should just reorganize the "Last Post Info", and the Forum's categories will occupy the whole screen.

I, for instance, don't really bother if it looks like now, because I do not have to zoom-in (I mean, current forum size looks fine to me) but I understand what you mean, and for sure it's easier to browse the way you say.

Your eyes would bleed if you saw how the site looked up before the optimization. This is a phpBB2 and it was none responsive at the beginning.

But thanks, your opinion and anyone else's are more than welcome and they certainly help me to build a better community.

Have a good day! :)

randellz

Aspirant
So many Excellent Boards using what I consider the best opensource forum software there is (debatable and no I'm not going to debate)
I've owned many phpBB boards over the years, and have sold them and made others.

Recently I've created 2 new ones.

First Is: https://topadcoop.com

Top Ad Coop is for my network of advertising sites I run about 7 Traffic exchange Systems Paid To Click Sites Offwalls Blah blah I love advertising. I created TAC to provide a base for some of my clients. The site provides advertising education and other services.

Second Is: https://oxaus.com/unity

Oxaus.com is basically a Christian Friendly Forum. We talk about prayer and share Christian Safe content. It's very new and hasn't even finished setting it up fully. None the less it's rocking the PhpBB forum software.

Really love seeing what people are doing with PhpBB, there are so many possibilities.

Merry Christmas everyone.

John H20

Aspirant
So many Excellent Boards using what I consider the best opensource forum software there is (debatable and no I'm not going to debate)
I've owned many phpBB boards over the years, and have sold them and made others.

Recently I've created 2 new ones.

First Is: https://topadcoop.com

Top Ad Coop is for my network of advertising sites I run about 7 Traffic exchange Systems Paid To Click Sites Offwalls Blah blah I love advertising. I created TAC to provide a base for some of my clients. The site provides advertising education and other services.

Second Is: https://oxaus.com/unity

Oxaus.com is basically a Christian Friendly Forum. We talk about prayer and share Christian Safe content. It's very new and hasn't even finished setting it up fully. None the less it's rocking the PhpBB forum software.

Really love seeing what people are doing with PhpBB, there are so many possibilities.

Merry Christmas everyone.
Have you ever used MyBB and SMF? How would you compare them to phpBB?

randellz

Aspirant
I've used both you mentioned, and both are equally ok. Personally, I just prefer Phpbb it's easy to edit/code the themes are nice. the community is still active with lots of cool features & Extensions. I feel it's more of a CMS than the others.

It's all subjective though it just depends on what you like.

Last edited:

davert

Adherent
phpBB seemed to have the best link with Wordpress, but I am not particularly happy with the feature set, and wish there was a way to search for options as there is in IPB and SMF. (Is it just me, or did SMF quietly die when nobody was looking?)

I really do wish phpBB would embrace SEO-sensitive URLs, I know there is a plugin that should do this but I have not gotten it to work, and I read some discussion among the devs which suggested they were never going to do it. "Content is what matters, not URLs" is the thought, which would make perfect sense if Google was better than it is.

I do like phpBB’s relatively simple structure, it’s FAR easier to edit, IMHO, than Xenforo or IPB. Is Xenforo part of VerticalScope now?

Abraham54

Aspirant
I started a new forum with phpBB and bought Gramziu's Ariki, which did wonders.
Never had a phpBB forum so fast as it now.

Have a peak:

Last edited:

davert

Adherent
It is nice and fast but the limitations are going to be an issue at some point...

davert

Adherent
Do you men the forum software itself?
Yes, coming from IPB and Xenforo, I'm not finding it to be quite as full-featured or convenient in some ways, particularly user management. That said, it's free!

So Ariki is a theme... does it really speed things up?

davert

Adherent
Update on phpBB: I've done some mods to the myInvision theme and think I have something that looks much more modern than the myInvision or default phpBB theme. in particular I think the heavy use of gray hurts phpBB's defaults.

The MyInvision theme is very very complex and elements step on other elements' toes. There are simpler themes but they leave some of the controls out... https://www.stellpower.com/forum/ if you want to look.

davert

Adherent
Xenforo is better in most regards... except cost, complexity, and the bridge thing...