Should we upgrade our vB 3.8.11 forum?

So far, the club likes it a lot, except for the frustration from the long-time members who kept getting messages that their posts were going into a moderation queue. I think we now have this issue fixed. Can anyone tell me how to find the moderation queue? (Maybe I need to start a new thread over in the XF section now!)
Just tell them to hang on. Let your moderators screen those posts, and approve them. Once that's done, they're free to post. xenForo needs to understand that your members are legit. This is not really the forum's fault. It's running through spam mitigation, so you're bound to come across false positives.

EDIT: Looks like you've made some permissions change to allow all members to post without being locked in limbo, but just realize that this may change how new users post - I'm talking new, new users. The whole point of the spam mitigation is to deter or stop spam in its tracks.

Congratulations on the successful migration, though! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mysiteguy

Fanatic
And to follow up: mysiteguy has been an excellent consultant in our migration. He did ALL the heavy lifting and has been a good communicator all through the process. We're still working on things but the forum is working and members are happy.

Thank you.

Yeah, that VB Photopost has been a pain. Normally smooth as silk getting it into XFMG, but I'm getting there. These image file transfers are painfully slow, my upload speeds have been stuck around 1.5 mbps (should be 10x that). Complained to ATT, they don't care. Ugh. :( But it did finish not long ago, I've been on the server for a bit to wrap it up without turning off the forums. :)

Thank you.

Yeah, that VB Photopost has been a pain. Normally smooth as silk getting it into XFMG, but I'm getting there. These image file transfers are painfully slow, my upload speeds have been stuck around 1.5 mbps (should be 10x that). Complained to ATT, they don't care. Ugh. :( But it did finish not long ago, I've been on the server for a bit to wrap it up without turning off the forums. :)
They've never cared. We used to have AT&T in Cali, and their support really, really sucks. I thought it would have been a lot better in another place like Florida, or something, but no. That company doesn't give two ****s about the customer. I really wish there were better cable companies other than AT&T and Comcast. But we don't. There's spectrum, there's cox, but those guys are on the lower end of the totem pole, so there's really not a lot of choice for customers.

Paul M

Super Moderator
Congratulations on your smooth transfer, and to all those involved.

RisingSun

Participant
have you made the move yet? or are you running a super customised 3.8.x still?

Yes, we're on XF now. So far our members are liking everything. We got longtime members out of the moderation zone, increased file size for attachments, and a bunch of other little tweaks. Thanks for asking!

Paul M

Super Moderator
have you made the move yet? or are you running a super customised 3.8.x still?
I have no plans to move off vBulletin (and yes, still on 3.8).

I may consider a move to vB4 at some point (because I want the CMS functionality, and the easier style colour customisation).

I have no plans to move off vBulletin (and yes, still on 3.8).

I may consider a move to vB4 at some point (because I want the CMS functionality, and the easier style colour customisation).
*looks at Paul* Really?
*gets up and walks for the door and hits himself at the door*

You realize... vB4 changes URLs? You realize it's riddled with too many queries per page you request from the server? You realize that every time they release a new update or patch update, they break on upgrades? That's the very reason why we moved away from vBulletin in the first place!

*gets drunk* You know what? You want to put up with all that, and paying $200 a year for a license renewal? Okay, paul, your decision.

Steve

Fanatic
Carlos I’m going to politely ask you to tone it down a bit. Paul is probably one of the reasons vB4 made it to a useful forum script in the first place. Trying to tell him he’s wrong for wanting to move to it and your reasons is not a solid approach.

Your emotions when posting need to take a back seat, they tend to make useful discussions unbearable to read.

R0binHood

Habitué
Your emotions when posting need to take a back seat, they tend to make useful discussions unbearable to read.

Yet incredibly entertaining at the same time...which makes me torn ;)

I have to say though, I am kind of baffled by Paul's last post. I don't know your full history, but you seem well informed on the forum scene, so why would you consider an upgrade to what seems like a deserted and dying platform? Surely your CMS and colour needs could be better fulfilled by using a more promising and modern platform that's in active development and has a future? Either stock or through a rich add on ecosystem?

Yet incredibly entertaining at the same time...which makes me torn ;)

I have to say though, I am kind of baffled by Paul's last post. I don't know your full history, but you seem well informed on the forum scene, so why would you consider an upgrade to what seems like a deserted and dying platform? Surely your CMS and colour needs could be better fulfilled by using a more promising and modern platform that's in active development and has a future? Either stock or through a rich add on ecosystem?
That's the thing!

I was being sarcastic, but I was actually doing him a favor, really.

Sorry, Steve I hurt you by posting a sarcastic post.

BirdOPrey5

#Awesome
*looks at Paul* Really?
*gets up and walks for the door and hits himself at the door*

You realize... vB4 changes URLs? You realize it's riddled with too many queries per page you request from the server? You realize that every time they release a new update or patch update, they break on upgrades? That's the very reason why we moved away from vBulletin in the first place!

*gets drunk* You know what? You want to put up with all that, and paying $200 a year for a license renewal? Okay, paul, your decision.

Even if this was sarcasm it could not be more wrong. I will forgive the fact you are explaining to Paul, the person who probably knows VB4 best of anyone in the world today to sarcasm. FIne, But...

1) VB4 does not change URLs from VB3. You can choose to use the exact same URLs as VB3. You have the option of using 3 other types of "friendly" URLs but not a single VB3 URL will stop working after upgrading to VB4.

2) VB4 isn't getting any further updates, even when it did (or VB5 today) patches almost never break anything and upgrades rarely do.

3) There are no fees for annual renewals, haven't been for many years. You only pay again when or if you upgrade a major version. (For example if a VB6 is ever released.)

If these were all sarcasm, fine, I didn't get it, but want to set the record straight for someone who might not know better and thought these were serious reasons for leaving vBulletin.

Paul M

Super Moderator

:ROFLMAO:

I realize this is all complete nonsense. :rolleyes:

I cant say anymore atm, Im still laughing .... :LOL: