Should we upgrade our vB 3.8.11 forum?

Destroy Repeat

DestroyRepeat.com
PHP6? Did you typo that and mean 7, since they skipped a 6.0 release?
I meant any PHP version below PHP6. I know it was never released, I meant anything below it. I didn't mention 7 because people would assume I'm talking about anything above 7. Anyway, people are still stuck in the 5 series... (5.4, 5.5, 5.6, etc.)

PHPVersionUseforXF.png

This is statistic from xenForo's 1.5 update (I think...? I forget.) that collected server details. But I am sure that the rest of the forum world is stuck at 5.x and 4.x and even lower. I was on 5.x for a very long, long time. I should've been on top of it, but I realized in June that I needed to pay attention a little more.

Last edited:

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass
Sucuri published their numbers from cleanup requests
Which is, customers coming to them for the cleanup. No hacking, no event, just checking.

Did I say we were safe out here? Oh wait, no I did not. I said most of us out here get along just fine and without fear, using outdated php and platforms. It's not (to me) a compelling reason to upgrade a perfectly well working message board site, to the latest version of the platform.

And still, many board sites whose owners have installed every patch, done every update and upgrade, done everything right to keep 'safe,' Get defaced or hacked. While we scoffers get off scot free.

Oh and, let's not forget these common reports: https://www.whitefirdesign.com/blog...light-deeply-flawed-website-malware-scanners/

It's almost just like what I described - the salesman is always going to say you need stuff.

Last edited:

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass
It's funny you should mention them, as an aside. Every time I scan my big board with them they come back telling me all is good, except they need to sell me their firewall of course. But interestingly the part where they check if your platform is up to date? They detect I have vB 4.2.0 but they say it is up to date!

Not sure I would trust a source that thinks vB 4.2.0 is up to date.

ausmessageboards_com_myimagehost__602fc6a6973c8db642e0ca84212c1c1a._.jpg

Paul M

Limeade Addict
Off topic posts removed.

If members have a problem with certain posts they are free to report them, if they so wish.

we_are_borg

Administrator
Anton Chigurh unless you learn that security is something that needs lots of attention and be on top of yor game you’re as secure as you leave our door open. Security is stacking game its a game of long breath. Sucurri does a fast scan and detects maybe a handful of issues that can be trouble, you go to them in many cases its all ready to late. I have done courses on security a long time ago and even after that you make mistakes one of them is thinking you are save and nothing will happen.

Dobson

Aspirant
Expect to lose a whole bunch of members. I changed from vb3.8 to IPS last year and saw a massive exodus immediately. People don't like change, and these days theres an easier option with facebook. Why try and adjust?

That being said, you have little choice as I did...you need to upgrade

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
Expect to lose a whole bunch of members. I changed from vb3.8 to IPS last year and saw a massive exodus immediately. People don't like change, and these days theres an easier option with facebook. Why try and adjust?

That being said, you have little choice as I did...you need to upgrade

It can depend a great deal on the audience, and how the transition is handled. I think VB to XF is a little bit less of a shock than VB to IPS, but they are both still significant.

The VB theme I found on xenforo.com helped ease some of that pain. I also tried to make some of the terminology more familiar. For instance, I changed "conversations" to "Personal Messages" so when people said "PM me" those posts still made sense. I was going to use "Private Messages", but since XF's system can have people move in and out of conversations, invites, etc. the word "personal" seemed to be a better fit. I also linked to a couple of videos I found describing how to use various Xenforo systems.

I think polling users in advance is a great way to handle it. Sending out a mass email once it's done, making it an exciting announcement helps too.

I have two forums left out of my six that I haven't moved off VB 4.2.5 yet. The articles and blogs have already been copied into Word Press using an importer I wrote. Those will launch when the rest of those site's forums are moved to XF. At this point, I'm waiting to pounce on a couple of cheap XF licenses on extralicense.com because these are such small forums that they aren't worth a paying a lot. I have a spare IPS license, but I really want to keep all my forums on one platform, easier to maintain if they are consistent.

terrymason

Enthusiast
I wouldn't move off of vbulletin 3.8 if I were you. I would ensure that I had a top notch backup policy, and work towards getting a mobile theme that users could select if they want to. I think the risk of killing your forum through user abandonment is likely worse than the risk of running outdated software.

Look at other big sites like jeepforum.com. They are running vBulletin 3.8.7 Patch Level 3, and their site looks great.

If you do decide to upgrade, please purchase a 20 dollar vps somewhere, and restore a backup of your site to that vps, and do the upgrade 2 or 3 times there. Working out all the bugs before you do it on your live site. Trust me, it will make your life much easier.

Threadloom

Administrator
Congrats on having an active community for such a long time, and keeping it tightly knit!

I would defintely be on the bandwagon of moving to Xenforo - I would go 2.0 at this point with 2.1 right around the corner. It will be less shocking if you decide to upgrade. 2.1 IMO is looking promising with the video uploads.
Not sure if you care, but find someone to help make a style similar to what you have now, and users will respond positively from what I've found after converting 100+ forums.

Best of luck!

RisingSun

Aspirant

I wouldn't move off of vbulletin 3.8 if I were you.

I don't think we'll lose many of the regulars unless the new forum just doesn't work.

Somniloquent

Enthusiast
Expect to lose a whole bunch of members. I changed from vb3.8 to IPS last year
Perhaps it was because IPS is more different? We switched to XF from VB4 and as far as I know, we didn't lose anyone. And this was on a big board that was over 10 years old at the time, so we had a lot of members used to the old site.

It's been said, but this really is important: keep the theme as close to your current site as possible. Same logo, same colours, same general format. Don't use this as an opportunity to refresh your look. If you want to do that, wait a few months at least until people are used to the new site.

Last edited:

craigForo

Enthusiast
I think I speak for everyone, kinda excited for you and looking forward to your upgrade.

HallofFamer

Habitué
Nope you should stick with VB 3.8.11, VB 3.8 is still the best VB version available, the so-called upgrade is actually downgrade that makes your forum worse. Though you may want to migrate away to another forum software like IPB/Xenforo, then its another story.

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
So how do you like your Xen?

Looks nice!

I can't speak for how he likes it (yet), but overall the migration went smoothly for the forums itself. The usual issues occurred, but nothing insurmountable:

- VB notices use BB code, XF uses HTML.
- XF has more permission levels than VB, and when it doubt during the import it chooses the more restrictive. I believe he's gone through the user groups and checked all the permissions by now, some of them were showing up more restricted than they did in VB (better to be more restrictive than less during import!)

I ran into an issue with Photopost importing over. It moved into XF 1.5 fine, but there are problems when XF 2 imported it from XF 1.5. That should be resolved today, then I am adding redirects for Photopost urls.

RisingSun

Aspirant
So far, the club likes it a lot, except for the frustration from the long-time members who kept getting messages that their posts were going into a moderation queue. I think we now have this issue fixed. Can anyone tell me how to find the moderation queue? (Maybe I need to start a new thread over in the XF section now!)