"Should I start this gaming forum" - A Thread

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
It's funny that I found this thread because here I am in late 2020 asking myself the exact same question.

Though my intended niche is vastly different, it's not about specific games, it's not about gaming news even but about some metadiscussions of games looking at them from a philosophical and high-brow critique perspective, e.g. looking at the art of video games (and not in a sense of the aesthetics but in the Art sense; that if games are art, what is the art saying)

But the more I read, the more I think maybe it's not worth my time even trying to start :/

haqzore

Devotee
It's funny that I found this thread because here I am in late 2020 asking myself the exact same question.

Though my intended niche is vastly different, it's not about specific games, it's not about gaming news even but about some metadiscussions of games looking at them from a philosophical and high-brow critique perspective, e.g. looking at the art of video games (and not in a sense of the aesthetics but in the Art sense; that if games are art, what is the art saying)

But the more I read, the more I think maybe it's not worth my time even trying to start :/
Maybe hedge your bet?

Shared hosting is pennies. Get a ****ty logo on Fiverr and upgrade later. Use your favorite free scripts.

Basically, make your time the biggest investment. Not that time is cheap, but you make your own.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
Well, in my case I'm weird because investing for a licence of even IPS isn't a problem even if I wanted the full suite, and the hosting cost is not a problem either.

It's more me not being sure about investing the time and creativity. It's been a long time since I kickstarted a community, a lot of what I used to know is no longer true and I have no desire to be too out there on something I'm really not sure about.

I don't want to get into the traditional 'reviewer' slot for gaming, there are countless sites that do game reviews and game news, and I think there's mileage to be had in talking about games as an artistic medium. But I'm not sure how much or even if there's an audience.

What do I know is that I'm not especially interested in monetisation and just want a space to think about gaming on a level we don't normally. It occurs to me this could be part blog, part forum, which also changes the tone somewhat. I dunno. I feel like I don't want to pull the trigger on anything without more thought on the subject, you know?