Should I buy this PC?

BioWarfare

The uphill battle

mysiteguy

Migration Expert
I would look at Newegg site to if your country has that store. Dell is not a company i want a pc from.
Considering the massive supplier fraud case going on with Newegg with several banks, I'd personally stay away from them. Not saying this because I don't like the company, I've bought a lot from them but right now they are no longer on my short list of hardware supplies.

BioWarfare

The uphill battle
I don't think I'm ever going to find a computer with specs and a price that I am comfortable with. The previous Alienware for $818 is a bit pricey. Does anyone want to just suggest me a pre built PC please?

Anything under $700 is welcome.

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass
Every PC I have ever had, I built myself. It was always much cheaper than retail even closeout and most remanned, with much better performance and durability. Dell sucks, I recommend you stay far away from it.

we_are_borg

Administrator
Considering the massive supplier fraud case going on with Newegg with several banks, I'd personally stay away from them. Not saying this because I don't like the company, I've bought a lot from them but right now they are no longer on my short list of hardware supplies.
Well i toke Newegg because that is the only company i know in UK and US. But any company that sells off the shelf products is good to get the build of a pc going.

Jake

Developer
Well i toke Newegg because that is the only company i know in UK and US. But any company that sells off the shelf products is good to get the build of a pc going.
Amazon, Jet, basically anything other than Best Buy.

Tracy Perry

Opinionated asshat
I would look at Newegg site to if your country has that store. Dell is not a company i want a pc from.
Depends on the PC... if you get the business class ones they tend to be rather reliable. The local Dr's office that I do some free consulting for normally buys the OptiPlex 990 series (and the similar newer ones) and many of those have been running 24/7 for the last 5-6 years with no issues. We are just now starting to have problems with them, but that's not unexpected as they are actually on a 3 year planned obsolescence routine but if they last longer the money just gets banked towards next years IT needs. That's what has allowed them to go now to Surface Pro's for the nurses/assistants and Surface Books for the providers (and for me... love free toys).

Steve

Fanatic
If there isn't a pressing need for the PC right now, buy a few parts at a time, you will be much more appreciative of what you have once done.

BioWarfare

The uphill battle
Ended up just buying this Aurora R6 on the refurbished site for $733 final including premium support and accidental coverage. I don't think it was a bad deal. Way better than yesterday's deals for sure.

Screen Shot 2017-11-06 at 2.53.04 PM.png

Only thing is that it doesn't have a CD drive apparently but I've been using a MacBook air for past 6 years and haven't needed it yet.

Anton Chigurh

Ultimate Badass
OH and I almost forgot: My last computer I built a few years ago was also my first one using solid state hard drives. I can't say enough good things about it, so suffice it to say not only do I highly recommend it, I would never consider either buying or building a PC with a conventional HD. SSHD is the only thing I'll ever use. Totally silent, no moving parts, makes NO heat and is fast, fast, fast.

Jake

Developer
If you only wanted 8gb of ram, no SSD and a lower end GPU you probably could've saved quite a bit of money by downgrading those specific items on the build I had suggested and would've gotten similar performance for less money

BioWarfare

The uphill battle
Thanks Jake and Anton Chigurh

Hopefully I won't have to do any upgrades soon. I hardly play any video games on PC or do any CPU or GPU intensive tasks. I'm sure if the time comes, I will upgrade to a SDD, upgrade the RAM, etc. I mainly needed the computer just as a secondary PC, I am confident my MacBook Air will still get more usage. And $700 price range I am comfortable with. No time or interest in building a computer myself.

BioWarfare

The uphill battle
As of right now, it is borderline fully setup and ready to rock and roll. I just needed to get my TAZ password transferred. :tup:

I also took the opportunity to rearrange my room and expand my desk where I have my new computer and PS4 and TV all on the same desk with plenty of arm and foot room. The 23" HANNS-G monitor I bought 7-8 years ago from a random guy on Craigslist is still going strong after collecting dust all this time.

What is Microsoft Edge's reputation? I thought it was just IE but then when I first opened it, it told me that it was X and X (X=%) faster than Google Chrome and Firefox both. It seems okay so far, so if no one tells me it's bad, I might just let it roll.

Digital Phoenix

Coffee Ninja
500gb SSD (can get cheaper, but I'd definitely recommend the Samsung 850 Evo. Have never had an issue with mine) - $150: Ryzen 5 1600 (3.6GHz 6c/12t) including motherboard $300: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz $130: GTX 1050 2gb VRAM $120: 430W power supply $30: Dirt cheap corsair case $50: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carb...pID=41Wq97Jk20L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Total: $844 ($694 without the SSD)
Similar specs to that Dell but will be much more future proof.
Pretty much the same guts as my build only I have a 750w psu :cool:

Jake

Developer
I tried to keep cost down on it, my pc has an older AMD cpu, waiting to see if prices drop on threadripper otherwise I’ll privably go with the 1800x

Digital Phoenix

Coffee Ninja
I built mine about a month before thread ripper was officially announced, slightly gutted about that. I am planning on swapping out my ssd for an m.2 version though.

we_are_borg

Administrator
Really need a new videocard think i save up for the gtx 1070 or so. Also want this

0030B4F2-37C2-4C89-9769-ABE72854C982.jpeg

Pooosia

Aspirant
Hey guys. I haven't bought a computer in 6 years so I am a little out of touch with what's a "good value" and what's not anymore. I was looking for a new computer tonight to get myself a gift and after looking across several different sites for refurbished pre-built desktops and PCs, the best value, I think, I came across is this Dell Inspiron Mini 3650 for $609 ($728 after taxes and fees).

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnlineSales/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?c=us&cs=22&l=en&s=dfh&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw/PR7UdVZTzFBDuNnFcQ7Q799Bhhjgv6ybkK9d0YUaghkgIF78XvliveQfqw156BsV1YIZ9NxEie/7avw/qJscVcQ15CzUQTNIk90C2iOvEyOIH+jyMZpGQW+w/OH+0I1UCFBQcWCk7ZeWypn2YxT+2icwiLl3cKpuFh9tvf2Vzl76mYgpPUwZdRMAbLE=

It is only 1 left in stock and on clearance, so I most likely would have to buy tonight if there is still time after I have gathered some feedback here. Most of what I would be doing with the computer is light web usage and occasional video games and maybe more. I think the specs are actually "too much" for what I'd be doing but I don't want to buy a weaker PC.

I've been using a Mac for so long that I have gotten very accustomed with OS X and its speed. Last time I used a computer with Windows I remember it always being very laggy and buggy like Android. Is this still the case? I hope I wouldn't have this problem with a new Windows 10 computer. Long start up times, buffering, etc. are a big no no.

Thanks.
If it is a modern computer you will have less problems using windows, but they still are... I only had no problems when I was using Linux. Now I returned to Windows and it is still a disaster :( But I have an old notebook so maybe that is the problem.