Should I buy this PC?

BioWarfare

The uphill battle
Hey guys. I haven't bought a computer in 6 years so I am a little out of touch with what's a "good value" and what's not anymore. I was looking for a new computer tonight to get myself a gift and after looking across several different sites for refurbished pre-built desktops and PCs, the best value, I think, I came across is this Dell Inspiron Mini 3650 for $609 ($728 after taxes and fees).

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ArbOnline...2YxT+2icwiLl3cKpuFh9tvf2Vzl76mYgpPUwZdRMAbLE=

It is only 1 left in stock and on clearance, so I most likely would have to buy tonight if there is still time after I have gathered some feedback here. Most of what I would be doing with the computer is light web usage and occasional video games and maybe more. I think the specs are actually "too much" for what I'd be doing but I don't want to buy a weaker PC.

I've been using a Mac for so long that I have gotten very accustomed with OS X and its speed. Last time I used a computer with Windows I remember it always being very laggy and buggy like Android. Is this still the case? I hope I wouldn't have this problem with a new Windows 10 computer. Long start up times, buffering, etc. are a big no no.

Thanks.

doubt

Tazmanian
Last time I used a computer with Windows I remember it always being very laggy and buggy like Android. Is this still the case? I hope I wouldn't have this problem with a new Windows 10 computer. Long start up times, buffering, etc. are a big no no.
You need an SSD to achieve that.
Replace the 2TB drive with at least a 500GB SSD or install the SSD and use the 2TB drive as the second drive.
Windows 10 is good.

BioWarfare

The uphill battle
You need an SSD to achieve that.
Replace the 2TB drive with at least a 500GB SSD or install the SSD and use the 2TB drive as the second drive.
Windows 10 is good.
I will do that if I buy the computer. Do you think it is an okay value? $728 includes 1 year accidental damage and premium support, although I probably wouldn't need either, I still always like to purchase accidental coverage on expensive electronics.

doubt

Tazmanian
I THINK that it's okay, provided it's in a good condition, not braking down in two years.

Jake

Developer
I think you'd be better off spending a couple hundred extra and build your own

BioWarfare

The uphill battle
Well I waited too long and now it is unavailable so congrats to whoever out there purchased it. I will look in the morning for an alternative and post it here, preferably a cheaper one.

Jake I don't want to build a custom PC but also don't want to over pay for a pre packaged PC. So I have to compromise a little bit, but I want the best bang for the buck, so ideally a refurbished pre-built PC under $600. That's why I'm shopping Dell refurbished as they tend to have a lot of clearance product.

doubt

Tazmanian
So I have to compromise a little bit, but I want the best bang for the buck, so ideally a refurbished pre-built PC under $600.
Risky.
To be cheap and to be reliable on the long run you need luck with it.

Jake

Developer
Jake I don't want to build a custom PC but also don't want to over pay for a pre packaged PC. So I have to compromise a little bit, but I want the best bang for the buck, so ideally a refurbished pre-built PC under $600. That's why I'm shopping Dell refurbished as they tend to have a lot of clearance product
Why not? It’ll likely be cheaper than a pre built with the same hardware, it’ll definitely be more reliable than a refurbished, especially when dell hasn’t exactly been known for reliability

we_are_borg

Administrator
I would look at Newegg site to if your country has that store. Dell is not a company i want a pc from.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
I've been using a Mac for so long that I have gotten very accustomed with OS X and its speed. Last time I used a computer with Windows I remember it always being very laggy and buggy like Android. Is this still the case? I hope I wouldn't have this problem with a new Windows 10 computer. Long start up times, buffering, etc. are a big no no.
It all depends on the components you use. If you cheap out on things, it will be that way.

Jake is right. Building your own pc is MUCH better then any prebuilt. The other advantage is its easily upgraded over time as technology improves or your needs change. Can only afford 8g of ram now? No problem, you can expand it to 16 later. Can only afford a 500g ssd now? No problem, you can buy additional drives as time goes on. That is complicated with a prebuilt pc as they generally aren't thinking of upgradability but being low cost.

BioWarfare

The uphill battle
It all depends on the components you use. If you cheap out on things, it will be that way.

Jake is right. Building your own pc is MUCH better then any prebuilt. The other advantage is its easily upgraded over time as technology improves or your needs change. Can only afford 8g of ram now? No problem, you can expand it to 16 later. Can only afford a 500g ssd now? No problem, you can buy additional drives as time goes on. That is complicated with a prebuilt pc as they generally aren't thinking of upgradability but being low cost.
This computer has 16gb 1600MHz RAM and 2 TB 7200 RPM Drive (3.5"). I'll probably install a SDD later on. There is space for one. I'm just wondering if it is a good deal as the computer is still available to purchase for some reason. $728 after taxes/warranty/fees etc. The GPU R9 360 2GB GDDR5 isn't the best but it is more than what I need by far.

Joeychgo

TAZ Administrator
I'm just wondering if it is a good deal as the computer is still available to purchase for some reason.
I would say no.

The motherboard is old -- uses DDR3 ram instead of DDR4. That drive will be slow as hell. By the time you add an SSD you'll be around $1000 - and might even break the warranty by installing one.

The reviews for this PC on amazon are not that great either: https://bit.ly/2yxpPSj

Jake

Developer
500gb SSD (can get cheaper, but I'd definitely recommend the Samsung 850 Evo. Have never had an issue with mine) - $150: Ryzen 5 1600 (3.6GHz 6c/12t) including motherboard $300: 16GB DDR4 2133MHz $130: GTX 1050 2gb VRAM $120: 430W power supply $30: Dirt cheap corsair case $50: https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Carb...pID=41Wq97Jk20L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Total: $844 ($694 without the SSD)
Similar specs to that Dell but will be much more future proof.

BioWarfare

The uphill battle
I would say no.

The motherboard is old -- uses DDR3 ram instead of DDR4. That drive will be slow as hell. By the time you add an SSD you'll be around $1000 - and might even break the warranty by installing one.

The reviews for this PC on amazon are not that great either: https://bit.ly/2yxpPSj
Hmm okay. I will pass then. I still need a new computer but I really don't want to build one. I guess I'll stick with my trusty MacBook Air until I find a new replacement. I have considered building my own rig in the past but I am not that big on intensive tasks like playing the latest games since I have a console for that. I just need a PC that is "fast" and has decent capabilities. I also don't want to pay for Windows and have to order all the parts and wait for them to get here. I'm just not that involved. I would like something out of the box that works well and will last at least 5 years with decent performance.

Most intensive game I'd probably play on the PC is CoD4 with mods lol. Besides that, I don't play any video games on PC.

Jake That is a bit out of my budget and I'd still have to pay for Windows.

we_are_borg

Administrator
Are you happy with your Apple product if so why not wait till December and get a mac mini, i hope that they will release a new version then.

You also should look out with refurbished pc’s you’ll never know what happened with it your buying some one elses troubles.

BioWarfare

The uphill battle
Are you happy with your Apple product if so why not wait till December and get a mac mini, i hope that they will release a new version then.

You also should look out with refurbished pc’s you’ll never know what happened with it your buying some one elses troubles.
Mac Mini is very expensive for what you get. And there are hardly ever any listed on clearance/refurbished.

Refurbished is like Certified Pre Owned with cars. It includes 1 year limited warranty and is "certified" to work by the manufacturer.

What is the verdict on this ~$720 (after taxes/fee/etc) Alienware Alpha R2?

http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnline...aB5OV7C1IVPgm7DCA3UjI15NQPAO/kx61ILs6PXmVALGL

Is cheaper than the computer I originally linked and has a better GPU. Also tiny which is great but I could be missing something.

we_are_borg

Administrator
Your missing the point Dell and expanding is expensive. The mac mini is great you only need a screen, mouse and keyboard and you also have a full pc, the one i have atm is a little slower then my main system but that system i put in new cpu etc.

Look at the link i gave for new unbranded system much better. Also refurbished is something else as second hand car believe me.

BioWarfare

The uphill battle
Your missing the point Dell and expanding is expensive. The mac mini is great you only need a screen, mouse and keyboard and you also have a full pc, the one i have atm is a little slower then my main system but that system i put in new cpu etc.

Look at the link i gave for new unbranded system much better. Also refurbished is something else as second hand car believe me.
I also don't want another Mac since I already have a MacBook Air. I want a more powerful PC and the Mac Mini is very expensive for what you get and also out of my budget. I also looked on Newegg earlier, didn't find any good deals. Refurbished is better than buying second hand from seller which is what a lot of Newegg tends to be, almost similar to buying a computer from a person on Craigslist.

BioWarfare

The uphill battle
Also I already have monitors/keyboards/mouses so all I have to buy is the tower itself.

Jake

Developer
That alienware is horribly overpriced. You're getting half the RAM and a worse CPU