Shared Shared hosting?

Fait

Participant
What does everyone think about shared hosting? Is it still good to put a new site on shared hosting?

Uncrowned

Participant
Yes, starting on Shared hosting is often the best move. It can take years of building to need a VPS or the like, so why pay more when it isn't doing much.

Splinter2

Participant
It also depends on which hosting company you choose. I was with GoDaddy for over ten years on shared and frankly the service has deteriorated very badly in recent times, so I migrated to another hosting company for a vastly improved shared hosting experience.
Choose wisely.
Edit
There are also issues of which MYSQL and other protocols the hosting company supports, so these should be looked at as well.

Last edited:

Uncrowned

Participant
It also depends on which hosting company you choose. I was with GoDaddy for over ten years on shared and frankly the service has deteriorated very badly in recent times, so I migrated to another hosting company for a vastly improved shared hosting experience.
Choose wisely.
Edit
There are also issues of which MYSQL and other protocols the hosting company supports, so these should be looked at as well.
Yes! Make sure you end on a Shared Hosting that wants to help your site grow and then upgrade to their higher plans, not ones that simply make money off mass users.

\o/

an oddity
The quality of shared hosting depends on the number and traffic intensity of other people on the same server, sadly.

zoldos

Lord Malleus
I haven't used shared since around 2011. I then ran a VPS for awhile, then dedicated when I had a bunch of sites, and now a VDS (Virtual Dedicated Server). I like it since I have full root access and dedicated resources. It's very affordable as well.

NYCGuy76

Fanatic
Shared hosting is ok but lots of times you have to deal with slow servers etc. I gave up on my shared hosting and went with vps. A little more pricey but much faster and can handle a lot more.

zoldos

Lord Malleus
My hosting is capped at 100 megabit (but unlimited) bandwidth and does log sometimes. I might go back to a dedicated account...