Share snapshots of your Forum Traffic of 10 years or more (Research)

Blanco

Enthusiast
This is a good example of why pageviews might not be the best metric for this.
Yea, I used pagesviews because my unique user graph is borked, but it would be very similar in trend of the curve over time.

If folks want to post both user / page view, by all means do!

Skybound Do you mean things like infinite scroll reducing pageviews count (sure does reduce ad impression from what I can tell) or is this a browser side / server side or want part of the tech chain is responsible for reducing page views?

Last edited:

cdub24

Enthusiast
Yea, I used pagesviews because my unique user graph was borked but it would be very simlar in trend
My user graph messed up and was a line at the end if I made a far away start date too FYI

Jeremy8

Enthusiast
What about posts made over time? (Measured by the forum software.) Though this wouldn't show any data about lurkers of course.

Skybound

Participant
Correct Jeremy8 , I prefer chasing the Unique visitors.

My pet peeve is when someone quotes their Server Hits as a metric, as in publishes it as a stat on their home page. Looks fancy to a visitor, but is meaningless and misleading.

Skybound

Participant
Yea, I used pagesviews because my unique user graph is borked, but it would be very similar in trend of the curve over time.

If folks want to post both user / page view, by all means do!

Skybound Do you mean things like infinite scroll reducing pageviews count (sure does reduce ad impression from what I can tell) or is this a browser side / server side or want part of the tech chain is responsible for reducing page views?
It was items such as 'Click Here to Mark Forum Read' That used to generate a full page impression just with the text that all forums now read. Later updates now pops up a small Ajax overlay dialogue with same message and does not count as an impression. We did not see any real dip in ad revenue. In fact with adsense, it was a policy violation to display an ad on such a page.

Blanco

Enthusiast
What about posts made over time? (Measured by the forum software.) Though this wouldn't show any data about lurkers of course.
Well I'm looking at traffic IN, waves on the beech from the vast oceans of the www.

I was thinking this internal metric might not always be available to every platform especially when forums didn't even graph their in-site data, had a look at the same on myself and it only goes back to 2011, shows a similar decline.

Last edited:

cdub24

Enthusiast
See we can play guess the forum primary focus game by the traffic -See we can have fun too!

Holidays, Debt Management, Lose Weight or Divorce... ;) All those start of new year 1st qtr traffic surges, very interesting.

Keep the snaps rollin'
Nope! ?

cdub24

Enthusiast
Correct Jeremy8 , I prefer chasing the Unique visitors.

My pet peeve is when someone quotes their Server Hits as a metric, as in publishes it as a stat on their home page. Looks fancy to a visitor, but is meaningless and misleading.
I tried to do users but the graph got borked and showed no visitors until the last day which of course is an error. ?‍♂️

DigNap15

Habitué
I'd like to contribute to this, but my forum is only two years old
So I wont
And I dont know how to get that graph

Joel R

Habitué
Blanco can I ask what you're trying to interpret from these graphs? What kinds of conclusions are you trying to determine? And what kinds of solutions are you offering?

Niche: Social > Lifestyle

1638043506006.png

Last edited:

Blanco

Enthusiast
Blanco can I ask what you're trying to interpret from these graphs? What kinds of conclusions are you trying to determine? And what kinds of solutions are you offering?

Niche: Social > Lifestyle

View attachment 55510
Im attempting to get as high an altitude widest view on the traffic ebbs and flows over two decades.

Why should Google have the monopoly on this data and story. The more long term admins that chime in the sooner we can get to reading more into it, building insight and maybe collectively finding solutions to help those who have poor traffic.

It’s why I do t really want to get into the nitty gritty yet. The more snapshots from high orbit the more a clearer picture qe can patch together to get the fullest view.

Good work there btw! We’ll be asking you for tips! Thanks for the snapshot.