Share snapshots of your Forum Traffic of 10 years or more (Research)

Blanco

Enthusiast
In the interest of a kind of comparative trend-survey among long time admins (and short time/term too!) and to get the ball rolling, I have included below the longest traffic pattern I have access to on any long running forum, this is a pageviews snapshot from mid-2007onwards (users was not available but this is very similar trend curve).

pageviews-historical-trend.jpg

I think even 6-12 similar shared trend-curves may be enough to settle on a trend and give a world wide view analytics oversight, the kind google has for free due to the proliferation of google analytics deployment across the net.

This kind of info was once easily accessed via the old alexa website. Now it's pay to play - Why don't we simply share rather vanilla info for the same benefit!

If your trend curve is 10 years and more that's great, if it's a bit less, thats ok too. We don't need to go into deep details, we also do not need to know the site URL, but I would like to see if there is a similar curve experienced across other forum platforms (we don't even need to know the platform software) lets just stick to trends over time approach, and see if we can verify that there has been or has not been a broad level of traffic loss across multiple unconncteced forum based sites over a sustained long period.

We all know forums have suffered, but so much time has passed I think this would be a helpful exercise for disparate admins to showcase.

Pagesviews or Users are probably fine tow to pick (do not post URL, language or any other geo local ID info - keep it simple)

If others think we should use a different metric group, chime in, but again, it's about trend spotting here, specific metric other than over time is all that is important, since this is a such a long time run.

Last edited:

Blanco

Enthusiast
Super so far!

I am seeing a trend already. Hey Hostboard what is that approx time period for the dip about 60-70% along you curve, end of year maybe?

Blanco

Enthusiast
Analytics screwup/doublecount on my end from 2008 into early 2010...but the balance is accurate.

View attachment 55501
You are doing a super job. I don't mean to comment on each one but here I am doing just that so whatever ha! - I think you need to do admin webinars and start an exclusive admin platinum program! You've manage to hold ground and gain some no less! :cool:

sbjsbj

Fan
Thanks for the graphs, very informative!

One suggestion, it would be nice if you also could write your niches like "automobile, gaming, photography" etc. if it is okay with you.

woody

Vey impressive, congratulations.

Blanco

Enthusiast
Thanks for the graphs, very informative!

One suggestion, it would be nice if you also could write your niches like "automobile, gaming, photography" etc. if it is okay with you.

woody

Vey impressive, congratulations.

You know what as the OP I asked not to include any extra info, please just the one graph.

Let's keep it really simple for now and as anonymous as possible, a little bit more clinical, to stay really focused to get the widest vista we can on the TREND to date - thanks!

Last edited:

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
I dunno, I'd probably want the additional data for some context in case some niches perform differently to the trend. No reason that the graphs couldn't be compared with context removed and then later with context if you get more data.

woody

eternal noobie
Edited mine :) Should be vague enough ;) (and it's a market I have personally been addicted to for nearly 35 years....to this date)

Blanco

Enthusiast
You crazy kids! A forum of forum admins - a box of frogs inside a bag of cats! ;)

MORE SNAPSHOTS PLEASE! :einstein:

Blanco

Enthusiast
I dunno, I'd probably want the additional data for some context in case some niches perform differently to the trend. No reason that the graphs couldn't be compared with context removed and then later with context if you get more data.
Yea it's easy to to want more, but it is unnecessary in this instance for the purposes of the exercise.

It would be better to formulate the question after review of the initial data. Remove any bias. I mean I can collate the images separately and I will but we need a few more images similar to already and very kindly shared. So I don't want this thread to be all talk and no images!

In a way I should have maybe asked users to PM me the images and I"d post to give it a more anon flavour, but I don't expect admin to be PM'ing me there user graphs in case I was up to no good. So I decided, open share and then review be the best approach.

If anyone wants to do that I will facilitate as I do plan to put the graphs in one sheet to try get a full one look picture.

Then along the way or as a benefit, we can then dig deeper and maybe come up with a universal approach to tackle what might be a universal problem for forums.

Pete

Flavours of Forums Forever
The reason I say this is because as we saw in one of the other threads, forums had distinct seasonal fluctuations that were niche dependent. And I think if we’re looking for meta analysis of forums’ longevity (e.g. vs social media) I think niche is even more important because some niches will naturally fight off social media better by virtue of their history and archive of information.

Blanco

Enthusiast
The reason I say this is because as we saw in one of the other threads, forums had distinct seasonal fluctuations that were niche dependent. And I think if we’re looking for meta analysis of forums’ longevity (e.g. vs social media) I think niche is even more important because some niches will naturally fight off social media better by virtue of their history and archive of information.
Ok, you are making a point that is not relevant to this thread. Seasons do not matter in a time scale that spans two decades. This is a BIG picture trend analysis of Traffic. Not a fine comb granular analysis.

Hostboard

Enthusiast
Super so far!

I am seeing a trend already. Hey Hostboard what is that approx time period for the dip about 60-70% along you curve, end of year maybe?

Typically see dips during the holiday seasons as well as end of year. You also have to remember we're not a "forum" but rather individual communities.

Blanco

Enthusiast
Typically see dips during the holiday seasons as well as end of year. You also have to remember we're not a "forum" but rather individual communities.
Thanks, but again, that drop in traffic, it's an outlier in the curve, what period/date was that?

Skybound

Participant
Interesting thread. Forum been running for 18 years now.

Much of the page decrease can be attributed to more efficient page handling as the steps do co-incide with software upgrades.

Screenshot 2021-11-24 200709.pngScreenshot 2021-11-24 201311.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-24 201311.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-24 201311.png
    28.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: