Setting up email system - not Gmail or Hotmail

DigNap15

Habitué
Hello
I really need to have an email address for my registration and admin querreies
At present I am using my own old peronsal one
Is it best to use an email account from your domain name supplier.
They do seem to be a bit expensive
Any suggestions?

Nabix

You could always create a email server or use webmail from your hostings control panel.

Nabix

DigNap15
Setting up email and linking it to your domain is not simple. Its not hard either. The easiest way would be to just use Google Suite (gsuite). But, it cost $6/mo per user. So just one email account.

They have instructions on how to forward you email to through DNS to Googles webmail. Also, its a little more simple to use than a domain registrars email service.

The best way is to create your email account via webmail and using RoundCube (roundcube.com) for example. If I remember you are using SiteGround. This article is geared towards cPanel but should be close to what you need if you decide on setting it up through webmail.

Keep in mind, no matter what you choose you will still need to make changes to your DNS setting in order to properly route you emails...

mysiteguy

Fanatic
For smaller sites, if you want an email centric setup of cpanel with Roundcube (and several others), check out mxlogin.com. $5/month.

Panupat

Habitué
I use Fastmail and love it. I don't recommend anyone setting up their own mail server btw unless you want to do it for the learning experience. Setting up is 1% of the story. Then you'll be fighting with security breech your whole life 24/7

LeadCrow

Apocalypse Admin
Servers go down and get hacked. You absolutely need your email be reliable, and for that I'd suggest picking up Fastmail rather than 'too big to care about you' providers. You can then maintain a fastmail adress for direct access and a user@website alias that you wont need to keep changing in case you switch email services behind the scene.

Why this service in particular? Privacy, no datamining or personalizing, they contribute to opensource and develop JMAP, the now IETC-approved successor to IMAP. Replacing emails with your domains will make future eventual migrations painless, especially once clients and free webmail providers implement it.

cornnfedd

Captain Futurama
Id go proton mail, its better to have an external email address in case this got bad with the server, you never know...

and no big deal logging into another email..

DigNap15

Habitué
I always find email very confusing with all the different terms - let alone with a website
I have decided to go with GoDaddy as they have my domain names.
It does seem an amazing journey
From my forum Xenforo to Siteground to Go Daddy to Thunderbird
Forum- Webhost - Domain name server to Emal Client
Is that correct (i hope so) ( or is it the other way round?
Its a lot of settings and passwords etc
And somewhere in there is Micorosft mailserver

Yes I am working on the DNS settings now

DigNap15

Habitué
Servers go down and get hacked. You absolutely need your email be reliable, and for that I'd suggest picking up Fastmail rather than 'too big to care about you' providers. You can then maintain a fastmail adress for direct access and a user@website alias that you wont need to keep changing in case you switch email services behind the scene.

Why this service in particular? Privacy, no datamining or personalizing, they contribute to opensource and develop JMAP, the now IETC-approved successor to IMAP. Replacing emails with your domains will make future eventual migrations painless, especially once clients and free webmail providers implement it.

Damn wish I'd seen that before

hurricane_sh

Enthusiast
GSuite was free and remains free for old accounts, they still allow you to add new alias domains for free. If you can get an old account somehow, it would be a perfect solution. I recently had two GSuite accounts closed, I no long use the domains, maybe I should have kept them for other purposes.

haqzore

Devotee
What am I missing here?

I use a mid-level Shared Server for less than $5 USD/month.
I host 2 forums at 2 different domains on this shared server (one XF, one IPS)
  • This same shared server allows me unlimited email accounts.
  • It take seconds in cPanel to setup email accounts (ending "@website.com" or whatever your URLs are).
  • I have zero issues with the emails of XF or IPS - all members get their messages no problem (Alerts/etc)

All this talk about additional / separate servers... I'm sure I'm missing something... but what is it?

DigNap15

Habitué
What am I missing here?

• It take seconds in cPanel to setup email accounts (ending "@website.com" or whatever your URLs are).
  • I have zero issues with the emails of XF or IPS - all members get their messages no problem (Alerts/etc)

All this talk about additional / separate servers... I'm sure I'm missing something... but what is it?
Its probably that you are an IT proffessional
And I am not!

I am with GoDaddy for my domain names and now my emailserver and Siteground for my web hosting.
It is a lot of work to set it all up.

I think that later I will change to just one company for all.
But it will not be on the lowest, it will be on their service and their contacabilty eg email or phone.

mysiteguy

Fanatic
What am I missing here?

Depending on the use, I have some of my domains sending/receiving email from the same server.

Others, I use an external server. The reason is they tend to send higher mail volume. If someone with a grudge tries to get the email IP address blacklisted, the web server's IP would be on the blacklist if I didn't use an external server. With an external provider, worst case I switch to another provider.

Also, many low end hosting services impose small limits on the number of daily (or hourly) emails sent.

Paul M

Super Moderator
I run my own email server on a VPS, no relience on anyone else (other than the VPS supplier I guess).

DigNap15

Habitué
My problem at the moment
Is that I have set up a new email seevr with GoDaddy and it is taking a long time (24 hours) for them ot Siteground to make the nesccessary chages.
So I am getting No emails!

Taylor J

Fan
I run my own email server on a VPS, no relience on anyone else (other than the VPS supplier I guess).
What’s the process of setting up your own email server? Is it difficult in anyway? I’ve been looking into getting a cheap one after you suggested some but not ready to pull the trigger yet.

what does it all entail? And how do you fight spam?