Setting up email system - not Gmail or Hotmail

Taylor J

Fan
I run my own email server on a VPS, no relience on anyone else (other than the VPS supplier I guess).
What’s the process of setting up your own email server? Is it difficult in anyway? I’ve been looking into getting a cheap one after you suggested some but not ready to pull the trigger yet.

what does it all entail? And how do you fight spam?

Panupat

Habitué
If you're not planning to move host there's no problem really. All in 1 solution is always convenient.

There are quite a few kinds of spam each with their own way of battling. in-coming spam, Backscatter, etc.... VERY IMPORTANT! Use throw-away email to learn this. There is this thing called spam reputation score. Once your email has been breached and do weird stuff, major mail provider can, and will, quickly blacklist your mail address and once that happened your out going email will never reach anyone, legit or not.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I use my own personal email domain. It's cost effective, permanent, professional looking and spam free. I use a different address for every registration so if that address is sold or compromised I ditch it although sometimes it is quite interesting to watch what happens as it travels around the Internet.

In the UK it's quite common for people to use their ISP as an email provider but migrating away often leads to email addresses being held to ransom. Freemail, another popular option comes at a price, advertising, spam and easy to forget addresses.

I really do beleve it's worth taking the time to learn how to setup a personal email domain.

Lakuma

Neophyte
I use Zoho Mail for my domain name emails, it's free for 5GB per user.

Scroll down until you see:

FOREVER FREE PLAN
  • Up to five users, 5GB/User, 25MB attachment limit.
  • Web access only. Email hosting for single domain