Selling a forum, buyer wants to pay with paypal?

Bikenut

Enthusiast
Is it safe to accept paypal as a payment? Whats the preferred and safe payment method. I worry about transferring the forum over and then having him dispute the transaction later.

zappaDPJ

Administrator
I prefer to have a wire transfer direct into my bank account for larger sums of money as I've found PayPal to be a little unpredictable when it comes to disputes.

Shawn Gossman

Tazmanian Master
When I bought out my competition, I used an escrow service but I paid over $1,000 so I couldn't see doing that with PayPal.

Timelord_

Enthusiast
Is it safe to accept paypal as a payment? Whats the preferred and safe payment method. I worry about transferring the forum over and then having him dispute the transaction later.

Anything over a few hundred bucks, I would go with an escrow service.

PoetJC

⚧ Jacquii: Kween of Hearts ⚧
Paypal can be a bet sketchy. But generally can be trusted as far as web projects are concerned.
If there's any issue - Paypal will generally rule in favor of the project owner. Something about non-perishable goods and all that jazz...
I've trusted Paypal with a few large transactions and have never had any issues.

J

Bikenut

Enthusiast
I went ahead and used Paypal, but only after having him sign a detailed sales agreement with detailed payment terms. I charged half up front, half after the database and domain were transferred. Went smooth, I got my money and he got a forum.

Timelord_

Enthusiast
I went ahead and used Paypal, but only after having him sign a detailed sales agreement with detailed payment terms. I charged half up front, half after the database and domain were transferred. Went smooth, I got my money and he got a forum.
Congrats on the successful exit!