Search Engine Optimization

Stewart

Participant
Search Engine Optimisation

Any tips for me on getting up the Google ladder?

My forum is Talk History and I'm struggling to push it up near the top for a search on the keywords history forum.

The website that does hit the top has the advantage of the vBulletin Archive being enabled but, although I have vBulletin too, my host apparently is running php as cgi (or whatever the term is) and I can't make use of it. :(

I started to look for myself based on these keywords and got bored looking by the 28th page. :dizzy:

I need tips on wording, or anything else you can suggest, to help me reach the top in this respect.

quentin

Habitué
did you read the sticky at the top of this forum ?
Having the archive is not what will bring your site to the top, it's links to your site (especially with good anchor text) that will help you.

Stewart

Participant
quentin said:
did you read the sticky at the top of this forum ?

Yes, I had. I've submitted to those indexes.

Having the archive is not what will bring your site to the top, it's links to your site (especially with good anchor text) that will help you.

This site was nowhere in the rankings until it turned on its Archive. It has since, despite being linked to by virtually no site and having a tiny amount of members, risen to the top of Google's rankings for searches on history forum, displacing Axis History Forums for the first time that I can remember since March last year.

quentin

Habitué
the fact that it turned up at the same time he turned on the archive prooves nothing. There are hundreds of other things he could ahve done with this result, and turning on the archive is probably not the one...
Turning on the archive can mostly help you in getting more pages indexed, which is good because it gives you more chances of being ranked well for other searches, but doesn't help much by itself for the home page ranking, except maybe if you link to your hope page from your archive with the perfect anchor text.
This guy seems however to have many more backlinks than you do. Your site is a PR2, which is fairly low. You should try and get more links to it. This is definitely what will give you the major boost. Then once you're in the top 20 through good PR, title, and internal linking, it's things like turning on the archive that will help you get higher one step at a time.

Stewart

Participant
quentin said:
Your site is a PR2, which is fairly low.

Ouch! When I looked last week my Google Toolbar gave me a PR4. :(

You should try and get more links to it. This is definitely what will give you the major boost.

Hmmm, how do you (or anyone else) suggest I get linked from some of the bigger sites, since their linkage is more sought after?

quentin

Habitué
how do you (or anyone else) suggest I get linked from some of the bigger sites

Link building is one if not the most important part of SEO. You probably won't be able to get right away links from high PR sites, apart maybe if you have exxceptionnaly unique and great content. Most people have to go for the hard way, first exchange links with similarly-sized websites, then you get larger, can exchange links with larger ones etc.
Directories are a good way to get inbound links.
The ultimate solution if you want things to happen quicker is to buy high PR links.

jameshenry

Neophyte
Doing SEO is the best thing to do. This helps improves your forums' volume and quality of traffic on search engines. Of course if you want to stay on top of SERP, you have to continue building links.

cbp

Habitué
directory posting article submission is best for inbound links
Not sure why you bumped a 4 yr old thread just to tell us this rubbish. Directories posting and article submission a bad for good inbound links. Real links, not self promotional links, are what really help.

shakir

Enthusiast
Any tips for me on getting up the Google ladder?

My forum is Talk History and I'm struggling to push it up near the top for a search on the keywords history forum.

The website that does hit the top has the advantage of the vBulletin Archive being enabled but, although I have vBulletin too, my host apparently is running php as cgi (or whatever the term is) and I can't make use of it. :(

I started to look for myself based on these keywords and got bored looking by the 28th page. :dizzy:

I need tips on wording, or anything else you can suggest, to help me reach the top in this respect.

Instead of fighting with SERP better try to make some inetail members and valuable threads.. If u r in first page and the Froum not ncontains much members / valuable tread.. then will be ignored.. So first try to advertise on any sites/ join with 100s of forums even no follow and place ur site link as signature... once achieved to gain some good users then seee the changes

thermal

Aspirant
Search engine optimization (SEO) is the process of improving the visibility of a website or a web page in search engines via the "natural" or un-paid ("organic" or "algorithmic") search results. Other forms of search engine marketing (SEM) target paid listings. In general, the earlier (or higher on the page), and more frequently a site appears in the search results list, the more visitors it will receive from the search engine's users. SEO may target different kinds of search, including image search, local search, video search, academic search,[1] news search and industry-specific vertical search engines. This gives a website web presence.

Last edited: